[NFP] March Update Video Discussion

I wonder how the Torre de Belem will handle museums - if the lowest production cost buildings available in a city are the art and archaeological museums, which do you get? is it random? can you force it to be one or the other by starting to produce one, or could you be one turn away from an archaeological museum and then it gives you an art museum?
I wonder if it just wouldn't give you one of those at all, and instead take the second cheapest building in some other district to give you...but I just hope the devs don't overlook this interaction.

I wonder how the Torre de Belem will handle museums - if the lowest production cost buildings available in a city are the art and archaeological museums, which do you get? is it random? can you force it to be one or the other by starting to produce one, or could you be one turn away from an archaeological museum and then it gives you an art museum?
Or a situation where you get a barracks in your Encampments playing as Mongolia. :mischief:

Yeah, I wonder what superpower they'll suddenly get after the ribbon cutting in a few years.

I don’t know, but effectively it is one wonder that is providing tourism before completion :lol:
(Doubles when you have Japan in-game)

Seriously SF is an example of a wonder on a city that has switched production to many other things and only throws a few hammers to the wonder every now and then. But, alas, this (taking some centuries to finally complete) seems to have been the case with several other wonders and wonder-type buildings too.

Curious part about the Torre is that it just says "lowest cost building", not "lowest cost city centre building", so definitely it's the sort of wonder where you want to go through and buy as many libraries and monuments and lighthouses as you can. If you can have it give you some free shipyards or research labs, and have the right continent setup, it could truly be an insane wonder for that alone. They don't list the cost in the video, but planned right, it really could be spectacular.

The problem is, unless you're willing to build walls (and their upgrades) and water mills in your cities, you're not going to be able to get expensive late game buildings with this wonder.

Building ancient walls + water mill (160 hammers, 120 if limes is used), and then using this wonder to instantly get a bunch of universities or museums could be a really interesting play though. Just make sure not to tech castles before the wonder is finished. I generally build a monument and granary anyways so I don't view those as extra cost.

Last edited:
My excitement over Etemenanki is more or less balanced out by its stereotypical design (Science? Really? :rolleyes: ) and by the lack of Notre Dame or some other Gothic cathedral. :(
The Cathedral of the most beautiful city in the world : Antwerp

- Portugal looks like a fun civ
- love the new wonders especially the Etemenanki (the other Babylonian wonder is probably actually Assyrian)
- I can see some fun gameplay with the new map type building the Etemenanki and getting the marsh pantheon

- zombie mode : não obrigado

I want to remind you that this is Civilization "Fanatics" Center. People here are not casuals who play on settler or chieftain most of the time.
That’s irrelevant. You can play on settler and still enjoy a certain genre. I like history programs on TV too and I dont need to be a history professor for that to work. I’d be annoyed if a zombie popped up in a history programme. I like realism - AI helps with that, zombies work against that. Nothing to do with this website or difficulty.

Just letting my voice heard here. Portugal yes, all the rest - disappointing to say the least. After Corporations and the (free) barbaric mode I was hoping fxs would redeem themselves with a grande finale for this pack, possibly something related to colonial play and in theme with Portugal.
This return to the lame fantasy stuff they started this pack with really left a bad taste again. All in all I hope these gimmicky game modes go back into the trash bin for the future.

What is the Padrao? And what could it's bonuses be? I googled it but couldn't find anything historical...might just be me being dumb on might part.

I dunno about 2 UIs still...Inca was almost a fluke where they could make that work. I was thinking that they might literally make the Feitoria a unit fort which ...would be disappointing. I'm thinking this because the UI picture on the trailer doesn't look like a typical Feiroria-fortress....it looks like one of those famous Portuguese houses which is weird...I chalked it up to just being a smaller model but since we have no idea on what the actual unique infrastructure of Portugal will be I'm all mixed up.

Padrão were individual pillars with a cross, that was used like milestones in a project, pouring out the path to India, along of Africa, Portugal walked through near 300 km by year, edifying this Padrões along the coast in interesting places, with resources, food, fresh water, local of trade or just for the sake of position. Padrão was in most cases edified by Explorers in a Caravela Latina, and less with Nau. Nau a bigger ship could build Feitoria instead.

My one gripe with Portugal is what it means for Spain.

Byzantium showed up and made Spain irrelevant at its religious-conquering niche, and now we have Portugal to beat them at their cross-continental trade.

Poor Spain...

Will zombies eat barbarians? Or they will cooperate? So many questions...
Just thought I'd answer this one...

Unless they've integrated a new non-playable faction (there are currently three: City-States, Barbarians and Free Cities) - which, well, they haven't - then Zombies are Barbarians.

Byzantium showed up and made Spain irrelevant at its religious-conquering niche, and now we have Portugal to beat them at their cross-continental trade.

Poor Spain...
At least no one can take away their inquisition niche. :mischief:
Oh and having fleets and armadas earlier.

Just thought I'd answer this one...

Unless they've integrated a new non-playable faction (there are currently three: City-States, Barbarians and Free Cities) - which, well, they haven't - then Zombies are Barbarians.
Zombie units have the same color scheme as barbarians. The question is will they attack other barbarians?
From the wording the developers use they attack the closest non zombie units so they should.

Padrão were individual pillars with a cross, that was used like milestones in a project, pouring out the path to India, along of Africa, Portugal walked through near 300 km by year, edifying this Padrões along the coast in interesting places, with resources, food, fresh water, local of trade or just for the sake of position. Padrão was in most cases edified by Explorers in a Caravela Latina, and less with Nau. Nau a bigger ship could build Feitoria instead.

I got a thought based on your knowledge. What if the portuguese UI is a Trading post replacement (Feitoria) and the ships are able to construct them in foreign cities with charges, and they increase trade route limit for every unique nation.
Kinda like Genghis creating them instantly.

That would explain the speculations guys here detected in the footage.

Poor Spain...

Spain seemed pretty high up everyone's lists for a rework come april. I expect they are high on Firaxis' too...

I got a thought based on your knowledge. What if the portuguese UI is a Trading post replacement (Feitoria) and the ships are able to construct them in foreign cities with charges, and they increase trade route limit for every unique nation.
Kinda like Genghis creating them instantly.

That would explain the speculations guys here detected in the footage.

That sounds awesome- find a new Civ with your faster than usual caravel, use the charge in their territory, and get a trading post/trader you can build and send there.

Seems like a very fun mechanic

Top Bottom