1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mathematics can estimate the date of Adam and Eve

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kruelgor, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Mathematics also tends not to pay attention to "God did it". Genetic theory alone disproves that graph's numbers.

2. holy king

holy king Deity

that's just a theory.

3. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

As I said, I am ignorant, I do not know.

I do not deserve to be laughed at for saying I do not know. You can laugh about a lot of things about me and my beliefs, but for me to Admit my lack of knowledge and be laughed at for it is ridiculous and unfair.

4. Arakhor

I'm not laughing at you, Domination. In fact, admitting that you don't know is a marked change from when you first came here.

5. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I was talking to Farsight, that said, I think he was actually laughing at the comedic value in Askthepizzaguy's post (Kudos to him for that, it was funny) and not at my post. He edited it which made it easier to tell.

My apologies for misinterpreting.

6. holy king

holy king Deity

dommy, it's just that you never fail to deliver a new level of crazy to crazy threads.

7. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I don't think I said really anything controversial in this thread.

All I said was:

1. I don't know if his Science is accurate (And I don't. That much IS a fact.)

2. Hebrew Geneaologies frequently skip names, which is again, a fact.

I never actually said that the Biblical account was true, at least not in this thread I didn't.

8. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

This ignores, of course, that population growth wasn't really at all stable until, at the earliest, the 18th century.

9. Arakhor

No, no, you've been very restrained. Your "God did it" quotient is dropping. :D

10. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Valid. I wasn't suggesting he was right either though, in fact if you search for it, I specifically rejected his conclusions based off Biblical and Historical reasoning. I just can't Scientifically disprove it (But I'm sure someone can.)

Eh, I think I've decided that Science is MUCH less important to Christianity than I've been taught, and so decided it wasn't worth arguing an unimportant subject I know nothing about anyway;)

11. Arakhor

Science is important to the natural world; religion is important to people. If you believe in something harmless, you don't need equations to make you feel better about it.

12. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Well, just to give an example of what I've been TAUGHT, a quote from my mother about Evolution and Christianity:

Now, I seriously doubt the person she said this too genuinely understands what it means (In my view) to be a Christian, but believing the world is billions of years old really isn't that reason. I don't know that I've ever actually agreed with her on that (Maybe subconsciously without considering it) but really, I don't care if you think the World is billions of years old or only thousands or whether the six days of Genesis are 23 hours or geologic ages. What I DO care about somewhat is that you accept that mankind was created special and differently from the animals, and that Adam made a choice to sin, giving humanity a need for Christ. (NOTE: This does not mean that those who deny Adam existed are necessarily not real Christians, but I do think accepting his existence is of some degree of importance.) Really, the Bible does not say, in so many words, that the Earth is thousands of years old, and even if it did, its not important enough to hold dogmatically too to me. Do I believe it? Yes. Could I be convinced otherwise? Maybe. I think it would take a lot though, and I think I'd have to be able to understand Science well enough to understand if those arguments don't work and WHY they don't work. I think Evolution is unlikely since I do not think God would subject a sinless world to suffering and death, but I do not think believing the animals evolved makes any difference at all in the Christian faith (Believing humans did might however since it gives an implication of a cruel God.) Question to Evolutionists here, is it proven that humans evolved, or is it possible, in theory, that they did not?

OK, enough of me talking about stuff that has nothing to do with the thread;)

13. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

As we have told you before, Dommy. The idea that all life evolved through natural selection is a well established and widely accepted fact. How, exactly, this fact went about is where the theory comes in.

14. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

Well, it's possible all the evidence supporting human evolution is simply a massive series of highly improbably coincidences, just as it's possible that the presence of certain bacteria just happens to always coincide with certain symptoms by pure chance.

15. Askthepizzaguy

Askthepizzaguy Know the Dark Side

These aren't actually words I am typing, it's actually a string of random characters. Highly coincidental random characters, might I add.... it really does sound like I wrote this, but I did not. I swear to your God.

The italics was also random.

16. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

My reason for asking is that some Christians have accepted the idea of theistic evolution, with the caveat that God created Adam specially (And thus human evolution did not happen.)

I would not consider holding this view to make any difference in the Christian faith.

That said, I do think supporting human evolution is impossible as a Biblical conclusion since it shows a cruel and heartless God.

17. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

I think it'd be cruel and heartless for god not to have made evolution (or something, idk).

Without evolution, a deadly strain of virus or bacteria would be able wipe out the entire race, cause no one would be able to develop immunity, nor would there be people with mutations that give them immunity.

18. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

The reason I'm saying that is Evolution demands death. Death would therefore be God's fault. While it is arguable that in animals this is fine (I don't believe it, but still) with humans this is clearly cruel.

From Scripture it is Adam's Sin, not God, who is responsible for Death.

19. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

Hmm... ok, I see where you're getting at.

Then again, life without death would be terrible. Just think of all the people who've died (and rightly deserved it) still being here. :cringe:

20. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Remember that the whole reason that death came into being according to the Bible was because of their Sin (Note however that this was before we had a sin nature, and so Sin was always a conscious choice to not Sin. Now, while specific sins may be a choice, we will sin sometimes and we can't totally help that.)

Before someone mentions it, I do get the paradox here that after Adam and Eve had kids, someone could choose to sin by killing someone else. But in that case (This wasn't really gonna happen, Adam and Eve were going to sin and I don't see it as realistic that it could have been avoided, even though technically possible), but then a death was caused by man's choice, kinda like eating the forbidden fruit made death by man's choice. That isn't evil or cruel. What would be cruel is God allowing people to just die (Creating Physical laws making man die) without any reason or just for "Evolution."