1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mazera Mega Story Thread

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by cypher132, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

That 'Major Advantage' that you speak of, does it include the fact that the units receiving the affinity gain NO experience whatsoever? Can never be leveled up or promoted? Start at 2 strength, and gain the rest via affinity, which any of several civs can completely negate through immunity? In my opinion, it's overcoming a WEAKNESS, not a major advantage. ;)

Also, I did not design them. I incorporated them, added a unique terrain rather than desert, added a worldspell and a new leader. The rest is as they were designed.

2. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

Meh. I'm not invested in this argument. Suffice to say, they do not impress me, in power or concept.

No one's explained to me, for example, why burning them with fire elementals, crushing the bones with earth elementals, and assassinating their mages won't cut them in spades.

3. cypher132

cypher132 Emperor

Can you two just argue in the #Erebus room?

4. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

Because.

Spoiler :

linky

There's too many of them. And they are also sneaky as Esus as well.

5. cypher132

cypher132 Emperor

Thomas is gonna crap himself when he sees those. Poor Thomas.

6. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

The second to last one.

"Where some people see danger, I merely see an XP-rich environment."

7. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

SHould I Spoiler them? :p

8. cypher132

cypher132 Emperor

GRIGORI FIND EMPTY VILLAGES

The Grigori, the conquerors of the Chislev, have been sweeping through former Chislev lands to find any survivors and to provide help to those who wish to join the Grigori. However, the Grigori came across several strange scenes. Many of the villages they checked were not burnt down or damaged in any way. Everything was where it belonged, no valuables were taken, and there was no sign that this was the work of the great spider Ungator. The Grigori are investigating the villages at this moment and will announce their findings when they are done.​

9. cypher132

cypher132 Emperor

Map updated further. Scions spread to the continent across from the Infernals, the Sheaim gain some land from colonization efforts led by Voltan de'Geryon, the Grigori gain the northernmost island in the island chain east of the Infernals, and the Bannor gain a chunk of the former Chislev land.

10. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

Ordine Serpentine March West, South, and East

The Serpentine Slayers, pride of the Grigori, have been healed of the Plague. Hail the Ordine!

With no more Chislev, the Serpentine Slayers are being redeployed to where they are needed most.

Experienced columns lead the march west, consolidating Chislev lands and searching for clues as to their disappearance.

Veteran Serpentine, including those most experienced with the Midgarsomar from the last war, march south to deal with the monstrous spider.

And Trusted Serpentine march east, across the Marble Road. Their mission is perhaps the most needed of all: to garrison and provide protection for Ordine Medicos across the land, and to defend the Ordine Citadels from further attack.

Mutterings of a New Order

Rumors in the Grigori capital suggest a political happening is in the wings. Just what, however, remains to be seen. The Grigori government may be waiting for some sort of success, or good news.

11. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

why am I gonna crap myself with the zombies? FFHNES II? it's ok, i've had therapy. it's ok

I mean, they're aweful things, true, but... :p

12. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

Overcouncil Agenda

Several matters have come to the attention of the overcouncil.

Overcouncil Election Nearing Conclusion

The Overcouncil election for the next chairman is coming to a close. The two main contenders are the Elohim and reformed Calabim: however, Flauros's disappearance at such a time has thrown his nation's application into contention. While Flauros is currently highly regarded, and much concern over his disappearance, doubts of his sister remain.

Only a few members, including the Grigori, have yet to commit.

Overcouncil Warns of Likely Demon Strengthening

With the Chislev collapse, the souls of the Overlord worshippers remain a mystery. Some, undoubtably, have gone to Danalin's vault. The fate of the vanished Chislev is a mystery. But the fate of those slain in battle with the Grigori and Bannor is clear: Hyborem has stolen away those souls.

With the twin-victories of Marathon, Hyborem is certain to have gained a new army. Whether to garrison the Demon Isles, to aid the Sheaim, or to set foot on Mazera, Infernal advances are expected.

Overcouncil Naval Expeditions Going Well: Infernal Ships Sunk

With the Grigori conquest and securing of the Island of Trials, the northernmost islet to the east of the Fane of Lessers, the Overcouncil has strengthened its naval supply lines to the Elohim islands, and has gained foothold to strike among the rest.

Another major gain has been the arrival of the Scions of Patria on the continent. Providing a safe harbor, the Scions provide a strategic base to strike out again Infernal/Sheaim shipping. Patrols from the southern end of the continent struck luck today, sinking a unmarked caraval far from Overcouncil shipping lanes.

Two New Foes of the Overcouncil

With the speciest-assault of the Archos and the legions of D'Tesh making their move, the Overcouncil has two new enemies on the continent. The Archos, the largest nation of Western Mazera, threaten all their human neighbors, regardless of creed. The D'Tesh simply threaten all.

Overcouncil members remain split on which threat to counter first, likely a wait until the next chairman can provide leadership, but Council Members are unanimous at the need to strengthen ties in adversity.

Grigori Launch Brown-Water Navy, establish Costa del Sol

Though their Blue Water oceanic fleet remains Lanun made and manned, the Grigori turned to muddier waters in their latest conflict. Though another example of something too late to matter, much like the advances in Arcane Lore, the Grigori had moved to counter the Overlord followers with the creation of a purpose-built river fleet (barges, really) for the Mazera rivers.

Though the enemy to fight is gone, the River Navy can also function as an arm of the Merchant Marine. The Grigori can quickly and effectively ship men and material from one end of the continent to the other, so long as they have free passage through the rivers. Both magically and mundanely powered, they can cross the rivers at nearly a horseman's pace.

The first use of this fleet has been the establishment of Costa del Sol on the unclaimed South Eastern mouth of the Mazera rivers system. Garrisoned by Serpentine and boosted with supplies to start a local guild of Miduru Designs, Costa del Sol is hoped to be the future Grigori port of call in both war and peace. Plentiful local lumber promises material for shipbuilding, while the estuaries promise easy trade and plentiful agriculture. Other local resources remain to be discovered.

Costa del Sol will also be the launching point for the Heathen Colony to South Isle, once enough immigrants are gathered.

13. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

Beginnings of the Ya Fanshi Military
    As of now, the Ya Fanshi have had but an unofficial Militia, comprised of peasants and various disaffected soldiers who had joined the Ya Fanshi and served in what manner they could. The formation of the first official Regiment of Fanshi Army has changed all this. Equipped with the latest in Military technology, The Army comprises a full infantry and Cavalry line, each trained in simple fire magics by Brigit the Shining herself. In support of the Standard Military are a full division of support troops, Adepts and sorcerers and Engineers, as well as Cooks, Blacksmiths, Tailors, armorers, Ordine trained medics, and all the other personnel needed to keep the troops in optimal fighting condition. These troops will, as part of their combat training, spend some time guarding the Marble Road in Nortek Territory as part of an agreement concluded with Deremai Diranth.

Farmsteads established
    With the completion of the key parts of the Ya Fanshi capital, many families have set off into the surrounding countryside to make their living the only they know, as farmers. The food these farmers will provide the city will be greatly appreciated when the huge stores provided for the journey run out, projected to be within a year, approximatly when the first crops will be harvested.

The Boat People
    Early in the settlment, it was discovered that the River near Eternal Flame is teeming with fish and other harvestable resources. In light of this, many families have opted to leave solid land behind and eck out a living on the rivers, sailing and trading deep into Mazatl and Kuriotate Territories on the flat and calm rivers. Some families have even ventured down the western fork of the river towards the sea, though, so far none has dared the long journey all the way to the sea.

14. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

Statement From: Alexis of the Calabim
    To: The Overcouncil

I wish to let it be known that the need my homeland has for me as regent will be limited, as my Brother is to return within reasonable time. The post will not affect my ability to dedicate myself to Overcouncil matters.

I wish, also, to make it known that I will not assume the post of head of the Council, should it be so, to fight for personal gains and gains for the Calabim people solely, but for all the good people of Mazera. I will not prioritize the struggle against the D'Teshi higher than any other struggle we are in, unwarranted. Every case will get the attention it deserves.

In conclusion, I wish to restate my respect for the Elohim, the most dedicated preservers of our world of Mazera; I have personally witnessed with what care they removed the taint of the Veil in Calabim lands and hope that they will continue using these much needed talents for the good of us all.

Sincerely, Alexis of the Calabim.

15. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

Grigori Support Calabim to Lead Overcouncil

After private discussion, the Grigori Progress has given a resolution in favor of the Calabim assuming the next Chairmanship. Prime Minister Esirce's own daughter has come out in open support, publicly saying that she trusts the sincerity of the reformed Calabim leadership. Mouar is currently in Prespur, having concluded private talks between the two governments.

Grigori Rangers Devising New Methods of Handling Beasts

Grigori animal handlers are coming to terms with new methods of handling creatures more beast than animal. New encouragements, and punishments, are required in taming these beasts, but there promises to be rewards from the knowledge. Already lesser Archos spiders can be captured and put into more economical uses, while a breakthrough in taming notoriously vicious nightmares could lead to a great advancement in Grigori cavalry.

New Clues from Chislev Villages

As Grigori forces advance west along the Meliah, some odd clues as the Chislev vanishing are arising. Great numbers of human tracks from Chislev villages lead straight to the river waters, but never emerge. There is nothing to support the idea of a panicked stampede, but some tracks have the tell-tale signs of being made by Drown.

No Chislev to date have been found, however. Only their animals and livestock, still caged or loose.

16. Diamondeye

Calabim seek to learn from Elohim
    The Calabim, aware of the cleanse that the Elohim Devouts can bring to the ruined lands of the D'Teshi, among others, now hope that the the Elohim will agree in training up Devouts of the Church of Life, founded in Calabim lands by Flauros himself. The idea is that a corps much like the Devout will be founded and work under the Church to salvage the war-weary and cursed lands of Mazera. The Calabim devouts, should the offer be accepted, would form the religious Order of the Crimson Tear.

Calabim seek assistance against D'Teshi from Amurites and Malakim
    An innovative Calabim mage has been experimenting with developing a spell that conjures Holy Flames, a intertwining of Sun, Fire and Life magic. While the current experiments look like it is viable purely by arcane means, the Calabim have also asked the Empyrean Church whether their diviners could be of assistance in developing a divine spell that would have the same effect.
    The Calabim seek this spell in order to fight the D'Teshi and are aware of the implications the spell might have if it falls into the wrong hands, seeing as it would most probably also wield great effect against the nonliving warriors of the Scions.

17. lemonjelly

lemonjelly Modding For Ethne

The Amurites have invited Calabim mages to the Wizards Hall in Undernat to practise these spells. They hope that the invention of successful cross-sphere spells will help Mazera greatly.

18. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

The Malakim and their Grigori allies also offer their assistance and, more importantly, knowledge of Sun Mana magics, a Malakim specialty.

Chaos in the Meliah River

Reports of ominous happenings along the Meliah River have started coming in, even as the Grigori continue the unopposed advance into the empty Chislev lands.

Disappearances of people along the river, the destruction of small-boat river travel, and rumors of water beasts are among the most common rumors.

In a possibly related matter, the Archos have cut off all travel around their main lake, which leads into to the Meliah.

Grigori Invite Refugees to Settle the Empty Cities

In their bewildering abandonment and disappearance, the Chislev left behind everything: their valuables, their homes, their livestock and fields, even their suppers on the hearth and ladder uneaten and even unpoisoned. Though the last has since spoiled, the former remain nearly free for the taking. Well, not quite: Grigori forces have occupied the abandoned cities, and teams of cavalry and animal-handlers are traversing the Chislev countryside to assume control and sustain the livestock and other, more fleeting, treasures of the Chislev.

The Grigori and their Bannor neighbor have jointly claimed control over the remaining territory, though the Archos have also moved in uninvited. All three compete to claim as much of the abandoned riches before the others arrive, though naturally the Grigori and Bannor are more inclined to negotiate later than their mutual Archosian foe. None the less, hasty forts and centers of control are being set up across the Chislev lands.
    For the territories and empty cities they undeniably control, all three sides are rushing families to settle.

For that purpose, the Grigori are looking to a reliable strength of appeal: the regular influx of immigrants. Grigori authorities are opening the Empty Cities for settling by refugees cast aside by the other wars in Mazera, such as the former Eastern Austrin. There is no fee, only an oath of loyalty to the Grigori government.

Non-Bannor approved settlers who do not consent to Grigori rule, however, will be evicted. No new kingdoms will spring forth from these lands. A similar policy has been agreed to by the Bannor.

19. Diamondeye

Spoiler Comillo, Pt. 3 :

When he had walked for what must have been the entire day, Comillo could finally hear something ahead. The faint sound of voices. He hurried along the corridor, and as an opening out into free air showed itself ahead, he hastily threw away the torch, not wanting to reveal himself to whoever was out there.

When he came outside, he saw a small group of people, perhaps eight, with horses. They were all staring in another direction, the entrance of another cave. Comillo drew closer and could now hear the voices of the people. He was also startled at who he saw in the center of the group; sitting leaned over his horse's neck, Flauros looked almost as if he was sleeping, although his eyes were open like slits. Comillo could see nothing except white in them, and realized that Flauros was in some sort of coma or trance.

He heard a stray remark and immidiately grew cautious: "Where's Alyssa?", one of the guards around Flauros asked. Comillo noticed that there was a horse in surplus the moment he heard it, but before he could move, he felt the blade of a knife threatening his throat, and a cold metal gauntlet on his sword in the belt. "Don't try anything," a cold, female voice behind him said in a whisper. Then louder, so that Flauros' guards could hear her: "I've found an intruder."

She dragged Comillo from the trees and into the clearing to the others. She took his sword from him but let him out of her grip. He was caught in the middle of the eight guards in the clearing. Suddenly, one of them said, "You look familiar..."

The man came closer, studied Comillo. Suddenly, his face was deformed by a mask of sudden hate. "You're Sigillum! The Blade of Ilyth!" Comillo gulped in nerveousity as all of the guards unsheathed their weapons. He shook his head. "I am Comillo. I am not the man you think!"
    The woman who had ambushed him took a step forward, brandishing Comillo's own blade. "But this is yours? The same sword that spilt the blood of innocent Calabim and Austrin alike?" Comillo nodded, cautiously. "The blade is the same," he said, "but the man has changed. I am my own Blade now, and no Calabim any more. I am Grigori."
    The guards exchanged sceptical looks. Some of them looked ready to accept his explanation, others not quite so. A terrible, intense silence lowered itself around them, until suddenly one of the guards raised his blade to Comillo's throat, almost roaring: "I don't believe him!"

Comillo sank, closed his eyes and waited for the blow. He knew this was the proper punishment for his former misdeeds. He heard the deep breath as the swordsman swung back the blade, ready to strike.

"Stop!"
    Comillo recognized the voice. It was Flauros'.

20. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

The arcane clock on the wall was clearly a joke: the effort to make such a morbid decoration, the magical sound of the sweeping scythe as the pendulum, the unnerving chime... definitely a piece made and enchanted with the Sheaim in mind. Perhaps a bit of self-parody from a normally humorless people.

Goodreau reflected on a time when he might have sold clocks like this by the dozen. Or maybe not: in those days, he had been so enraptured by the Order that he would have sooner spat on the Sheaim than sold them anything. Even now, years afterwords, he felt uneasy here. And not for some fear that Eurabetres might fly over the Sheaim capital.

The clock-scythe swung again, and a small door on the top sprung open. Out came a tiny imp (mechanical, not real, he hoped), which chortled the hour before returning.

Promptly marginally late, the door to the chamber opened, and his host arrived. It was a middle-aged woman, hair white from magic gone awry, but most noticeable was the blindfold covering her eyes. Still, she looked towards Goodreau with no hesitation.

"Thank you for coming, Grigori," she said. "My Mistress is glad you were willing to give us audience."

"The Grigori seek to listen to all who are open to reason," Goodreau said. "Even those who we see across the other side. If your Mistress sees fit to use her sway to end the Oceanic War..."

His opposite shook her head. "Unfortunately, we are not in a position to command our brethren across the sea to lay down their arms, however much we might like to," the witch said with effortless ease. "But that is no means for us to be foes as well. My Mistress wishes to establish a understanding between our peoples on the continent."

"Such as?" asked Goodreau.

"We are willing to offer open borders and fair trade to the Grigori," she said. "Os-Gabella even expresses interest in an Ordine Citadel in our lands as well. Your Medicos will naturally be unmolested in our lands, and free to share whatever views they wish to. And in exchange..." she trailed off meaningfully.

"In exchange?" Goodreau prompted.

"Naturally, a dialogue most be two-ways. We ask that you let us speak, uninterrupted, in your lands. Our views, our concerns, our own beliefs and philosophies. Within reason, of course."

"I was unaware the Sheaim were not allowed to speak in the Grigori lands," he said.

"Not of everything. Not of the most important things. We, too, have our beliefs of how this world flows."

Goodreau narrowed his eyes. "You want to spread Veil worship," he divined.

But his opposite shook her head.

"We do not seek to proselytize, to convert, the Grigori. We would be fools to expect to. Rather, we would like to enable those who already share our views to be able to practice them properly."

She cleared her throat.

"Here is why my Mistress offers: in exchange for what was mentioned above, about trade and Medicos and other trivial affairs, you let a small number of our priests set up Temples in your lands. Only where they could be sustained, and paid for by us in full. Not a cent paid by your government. "

"Our sponsored temples will follow whatever laws you wish to enforce. The priests will obey your edicts, pay your taxes, and follow your laws. Even those that would infringe on more traditional practices, such as those of sacrifice."

"In exchange, you can think of the priests as... community organizers. They can provide direction to those without purpose, they can rally their followers in your name, they can set forth community projects affecting everyone. And most importantly, they can share with the Grigori our views, our take, and let you decide for yourselves who's words you wish to follow."

Goodreau sat back, hands covering his face. His Sheaim opposite merely sat tall, beaming. There was silence, and at last Goodreau spoke.

"Are you aware of who I used to be?" he asked. "Do you know what your religion has done to me?"

"Of course," she answered. "We are aware of what some practitioners have done without higher sanction. But we do not believe the actions of a few should dictate the views on the many. We make a bargain with you, that our priests will follow any law you wish to enforce. There will be no human sacrifice unless you would allow it. The tragedy of your daughter need not happen again, if your men's souls are as virtuous as you Grigori like to believe. I have faith and know that you, Mister Goodreau, are a good man. You will do the right thing." She held out an offered scroll.

Goodreau struggled with his feelings. His hand urged him to pick up the scroll and cast it in the fire. For a moment, he believed he could see his daughter's scattered body. But he wasn't who he once was. He wasn't his own man, for his own feelings.

He took the scroll and tucked it in a sleeve.

"I will see to it that it is delivered," he said. "Nothing more, nothing less."

The Shaim witch smiled. "It is enough for us. Thank you, my good man. You are just what we were counting on from a Grigori."

That praise didn't make him feel any better.