1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Mazera Mega Story Thread

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by cypher132, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

((OOC: Since the Calabim/Cualli rule a stretch of land that Goodreau had to pass to get to the Os-Gabellan Sheaim, I assume that we know of his travels))

Private Letter to: Mouar of the Grigori

Dear Mouar,

It has come to my eyes that a Grigori messenger, a certain Goodreau, has travelled through our lands to negotiate with the Sheaim.

We must make absolutely clear that we condemn these people and their faith. You have seen for yourself what it has done to our land and our peoples - need I mention my own misery caused at the hand of a Profane?

This last period of rebuilding has been beneficial to the relations between our people, and I think the Grigori my friends. They would be clever not to forsake this trust.

With the best wishes for yourself and your people,
    Lady Alexis of the Calabim.

2. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

Lady Alexis of the Sheaim
    of the Sheaim
    Sheaim

Oh, so mother's given daughter pride of place? ;)

(More importantly, didn't you just chide me off about my worries of the Ashen Veil in Cualli land?)

3. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

Os-Gabella Warns Against Calabim Interference in Sheaim-Grigori Relations

The continental Sheaim have produced what they claim was a secrete missive from the Calabim government to the Grigori, and have decried the veiled attempt at intimidation against the Grigori and have cited it as evidence of the Calabim elite's continued oppression of cultural movements that do not serve them personally.

Among other accusations and invective, includding insinuations that the Calabim are aiding the Kuriotates in their war against the Sheaim, the Sheaim have warned the Calabim against interference in the bilateral affairs of other nations.

Os-Gabella's Sheaim Request Ordine Citadel

The continental Sheaim have officially invited the Ordine Medicos to form a chapter to service the Sheaim lands on the continent. Guarantees of protection, unhindered movement and speech, and other means for cooperation have been promised. More uniquely, the Sheaim government has made moves to be the Ordine's own reliable suppliers of Reagents, and has promised to fund any sort of medical... experiments that might deliver promising results. No need for the Ordine to worry about volunteers.

The invitation comes at perhaps a touchy time: the Grigori are indirectly at war with Tebryn's Sheaim in the Deadlands, and directly at war with the Infernals with whom the Sheaim are at peace. Even so, an agreement would amount to an effective peace treaty on the continent, where Os-Gabella reigns, and the Ordine are sworn to treat all whom ask for assistance barring war. It would be very difficult for the Ordine Medicos to deny any such request, regardless of nation, lest they throw aside their honestly-earned reputation for neutrality and impartiality. A reputation, Sheaim observers have noted, which even Tebryn of the Deadlands has honored... so far.

4. Diamondeye

Fixed the first thing. The second, well, not really, I just said that I didn't want to force them into anything just yet, since they are going through a rough time :p :blush:

Spoiler Assassins, I :

Alexis sat still as a statue as the third woman entered, placing herself besides her two sisters, kneeling before the constituted ruler of the Calabim. Alexis lowered her gazze and looked at the three Svartalfar women. Dora, Deledien and Alia. After prolonging the silence to the almost unbearable, her voice whipped out over the three sisters: "Where is your fourth sister?"
    The three sisters looked nerveously at each other, before Deledien finally replied. "We believe she has... Gotten herself into trouble, Milady."
    Alexis shook her head. " 'In trouble'? If the D'Teshi have caught her, she's most likely on her way to - or from - the grave. You have the permission to attempt to save her if you want to, but I will not reward you other than the necromancers you strike down in the attempt. Talking of rewards, your payment for the jobs already fulfilled is in the next room,"
    Alexis indicated a small door on their right with her hand. As the sisters rose and were on their way. "I need one of you to stay here for a special assignment. You decide for yourself who."
    Deledien, the eldest of the sisters, looked at her once. "Is it more or less dangerous than the D'Teshi?"
    "Less dangerous, by far."
    "Alia will go, then."
    Alia frowned, but accepted her sister's decision. She was the youngest of them, after all.

5. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

To Lady Alexis of the Calabim
    From Prime Minister Esirce

To Lady Alexis of the Calabim, representative of the Church of Sucellus and friend of Mazera,

I am writing to you in place of my daughter, to say what she can not and to remove any doubt as to who's decision this is. If you must blame the messenger, then let the messenger be the originator of the issue.

Alexis, the Grigori Progress will be accepting both of the Sheaim's items. First among them is the request for an Ordine Citadel.

As the Ordine Medicos, we have no business to deny treatment and instruction to any who would take our counsel and services. The Ordine is sworn to impartiality, to neutrality, and to fairness in all our dealings. Our reputation for neutrality was painfully proven during the Plague, when not even the Grigori government claimed special priority over the treatment of others, even when the Plague Potion came out. While others traded and dealt with stolen items, we of the Grigori knew that we would violate our vows if we acted solely in political and self-interest.

That is the heart of all objections to the Ordine expansion. There are unfortunately those who were glad to take our offers of health and use them for their own advantage, but now turn and decry when their foes make the same request. Though the Grigori may be friends with some over others, as Medicos we do not make that distinction. It is something even Cardith Lorda has come to terms with, and I hope that you do as well. We have nothing but the intention of continuing to provide you with Medicos services and assistance, but we will not be swayed from granting Os-Gabella's request.

The Ordine matter, I suspect, was the lesser of your concerns. And believe me when I say I sincerely appreciate your concern about any spread of the Veil in any form: you are not the only one to have suffered directly, and the very adviser to return with her offer lost his own beloved daughter to inhumane sacrifice. Crimes by the followers of the Veil are undeniable, and even those who don't walk a very dangerous path of temptation.

Even so, the Grigori treat the Veil as we do any religion, philosophy, or code: it is to be tolerated and unhindered so long as it does not harm or violate the laws or rights of anyone else. And if it does, it will be promptly and firmly censored as appropriate. The vile acts that have harmed you and others break these laws, and are prohibited. Any expression of them, or of the standard infractions of faiths in the Grigori lands (proselytism, extortion, dues and fees, charges for prayers, and other mundane infractions: even the entire temple is to be funded by the Sheaim, and the Grigori pay not one cent) will lead to predictable responses on our part. The Temple will be closed, the perpetrators tried and sentenced, and whatever intentions they had erased. Os-Gabella understands this, and the Temple will be under vigilant watch for any overstep. You might understand what I mean when I say that the Temple is to be in Junon.

I understand you might not find this reassuring. Likely your sentiments reflect Goodreau's own, and I break no trust when I share that he was explicitly clear. But disagreement is not a barrier: we Grigori are born and grow from arguments. We thrive on them. I will not be surprised if the temple shuts down in a matter of years, starved of interest and its own advocates converted from their arguments by our own. But we will not shut their argument out: freedom to argue one's beliefs is something we Grigori value above nearly all else.

I hope you understand and come to terms with this fact: we have not changed one iota in accepting this request under such conditions as we have dictated, but rather only prove what we are. You may not agree. Other allies of ours have certainly made their displeasure known in private. This may well affect our relationship with yours and other nations.

We understand. And we accept it as the cost of being Grigori. We act without regard for the gods, for good and ill, and many of our people view a friendship based on religious agreement alone to be falsely supported. I hope you do not follow such shallow thoughts.

By the time you receive this letter, our acceptance of both the Sheaim requests will be formalized and finished. As Prime Minister, it falls upon me to make such decisions, and I have chosen the Cassiel Way. If you do not understand why we view this as right now, I hope one day you will be convinced otherwise. But regardless, on a personal level, I ask that you do not view or hold this against my daughter in any way. It was not her decision to make.

-Grigori Prime Minister Esirce

In the delivery bag was a small scrap of paper, a short message scrawled and certainly snuck into the bag unseen at some point.

'Please do not hold this personally against my father. He would have decided similarly regardless of the faith in question. Even so, it was not an easy decision, either for him or for many in our council.'

6. Diamondeye

Letter to: Prime Minister Esirce

Good Minister,

I have read and accepted your reasoning behind your choice. Know that it does not please me, nor my brother, but it is something we are ready to accept due to our close friendship with the Grigori, and our knowledge that what you say is true; if anyone can hold the Veil in check even in their own lands, it is you. We respect your choice even though we would not have made the same choice in your place.

We hope that your overview of the affairs of the world will remain unveiled, that you may pick the proper side in the future conflicts on Mazera.

Bring my best of wishes to your daughter; she is a benefactor to your nation and house.

Lady Alexis of the Calabim.

7. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

In the privacy of her own chambers, Os-Gabella knelt in prayer. It would have surprised many of her servants and advisors: despite the state religion being Veil-worship, she had never been a devoted follower herself. But there was one diety with whom she communed, and one whom she gave some semblance of loyalty. She spoke to that goddess now, though no replies could be heard.

"It has failed, or at least not been successful as we hoped. There is unlikely to be any split between the Grigori and the Overcouncil."

"Why? I could think of many: my Children truly have changed, left the services of that one, and have changed in temperament as well. The Grigori ministers may well have been smooth-tongued enough to allay fears and concerns. The Apocalypse is not yet close enough yet: the people are not alarmed enough, afraid enough, to be overcome with the urge to fight rather than accept differences. They are not ready to turn on one another in fear and anger."

"Yes, I understand. Even in failing, we advance to that point. The Veil is the Veil: even in its least malign, it is a corrupting influence. We are not without our own philosophers: even the Grigori can be made to share more of our views than they would like to admit. Mammon is in their hearts as well."

"My Lady, who would you deem best to send, to lead that temple? Our own priests tend to be far too inclined to wickedness to operate under Grigori laws. To have our own best effect, we must tread those laws carefully: even as we lead others into temptation, we must not act on it ourselves, lest we be expelled. To corrupt them, we must be virtuous. But who do we have?"

"That woman? Dyn Nara? Indeed, she is our most influential thinkers; Odio Shrugged has widespread appeal in all the lands, not merely our own. But she is merely a Steward. Will she be fit to lead a Temple?"

"Yes, you are undoubtedly correct. I suppose one ignorant of the full range of practices would be preferable to lead a Temple in their lands, and a philosopher most corrosive of the Grigori way of thought. We will let them come to our point of view on their own. Even the Grigori face greed and temptation."

"I will rest, My Lady. Tomorrow is filled with more works to bring about your will, and my desire."

Os-Gabella slept, as close to content as she was in recent memory. But it was more than pleasure at the End being one step closer: it was personal as well. She had seen with her own eyes the comeuppance of her most hated one. He had been denied what had been rightfully hers at last. She remained resolved for what she would do, but she was pleased even so.

"Alexis... Flauros..." she whispered in her sleep, the ends of her lips hinting upwards.

8. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

Out of Character: I just want to say, I don't quite like doing this. I'd rather leave it to cypher, but cypher doesn't do much in the way of updating anymore but he did tell me he was wanting me to get to a certain point before he expanded the next phase of the story. I just have been busy of late, and he hasn't moved me much to that point himself.

So, in the interest of advancing that story to that point, which will hopefully see other people more inclined to re-enter as well, I'm going to accelerate a bit. Think of it as entering world builder to hasten the inevitable, since he already agreed with how to go. Probably a significant update per day to that point.

---

Sea Beasts inside the Continent!

Sea Beasts of all sorts have invaded the river ways of Mazera!

In a fashion far to uniform to be random, beasts of the deep have entered the Mazera riverways and greater lakes, rampaging along the river ways. Sea serpents have been spotted swimming up the water ways and attacking random boats and sometimes striking those on the shores. In between attacks they seem to prefer to hide in murky waters and river caves.

One place they have not lingered long, however, is in the great lakes that dot Mazera. Whenever a regular sea serpent has been spotted in one, even those far from the coast, it immediately departs to it's destination on the other side.

Nations are scrambling to react to their infested waterways, launching river skiffs and patrols to keep the serpents at bay and let some river traffic go through. Every country with river ways has been hit hard, but some nations have been effected more than others: the Dural have been split near their long-stalled front, and the Meliah river runs the length of the Grigori.

9. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

Redeemed Settlements Split

The Self Proclaimed boat people of the redeemed are suffering highly from the Invasion of the waterways. many have been forced from the waters, and have gathered, stranded, at the mouth of the river, at the ocean. they have constructed what was originally intended to be a temporary settlment until water trade could be resumed with the Redeemed, but has become an actual City, the second city of the Ya Fanshi. Though, as of now, there is only partial overland connections between the two cities, a plan is being coordinated to rid the rivers of the beasts.

10. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

Costa del Sol offers trade, assistance with Ya Fanshi

Though still small in itself, the Grigori city itself is none the less more consolidated and organized than the impromptu Redeemed settlement. The Grigori coastal settlement, however, is plagued by even more serpents in its many estuaries a river-mouths and separated from its homeland by even more distance than Ya Fanshi. The river serpents make farming the cleared areas to the west exceedingly dangerous, though paths to the hills to the east are kept safe.

While serpents patrol the riverways, their presence at sea is far more evadable. As such, trade potential is present. Costa del Sol offers lucrative trade offers to Ya Fanshi, trading manufactured items produced in Grigori forges for food harvested by the Redeemed.

11. thomas.berubeg

First Fanshi Ships Dock at Costa Del Sol

The First ships from the Redeemed to the Grigori Settlment of Costa Del Sol arrived on schedule, with cargo holds full of Fish, the wild rice that grows near the as of yet unammed settlement, and the plentiful Palmata that grows in the oceans near the settlment. the Ships leave with cargo to fill many of the more Material needs of the Settlers.

Disappearance of Farmers

Weakly patrols of the Outer regions of Redeemed Territories report that some of the outlying homesteads have been razed, and their inhabitants taken. While many of the larger farmsteads are untouched, many of the remaining small farmers are moving back towards the Capital and the larger villages.

Meanwhile, The Government has begun to search for clues as to who or what is causing the destruction.

12. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

"Sir! Captain Atudire!"

The famed swordsman turned his head in the direction of the voice calling his name. It was hard to track: even in the empty streets of the Chislev towns, sounds had a way of echoing eerily.

"I'm over here!" he yelled. "What is it?"

"Sir! We found someone!" from behind a tent some ways down, a young scout waved Atudire, Hero of the Sword, over.

"What is it?" Atudire asked as he approached. "A squatter? An Archos scout?" Either one of those would have been common, but still warrant his attention.

"No sir; we think it might be a survivor."

Nearly every head in hearing distance, if not already watching the scene, turned as one. Atudire stiffened and hurried his steps. To date there had not been one survivor or resistor from the Chislev. Not one.

"Show me," he said simply, and the scout guided him inside the massive tent. Chislev tents could range in size and sophistication, but this one was a small inn, with many separated rooms. Atudire followed the scout, stepping over a host of sleeping pallets. Probably arranged to bed soldiers before the Disappearance.

The walked through the kitchen and into what Atudire guessed was a supply room, judging by the crates. Inside he saw his men gathered around a figure. One, a Serpentine, was carefully pouring a dribble of water into its mouth. One look could tell that it was probably the first water since the end to the war that it had had.

No, not it. He? It was hard to tell, with the flesh sagging around the bones, but it looked like a starved male. A boy, an effeminate boy really with long brown hair. Or it might be a girl: with the clothes 'he' wore, it was impossible to verify. He lay on the ground, cradled by the Serpentine who was helping him.

The Serpentine looked up. "I already sent out for a Medicos, sir," he informed. "I'm glad we made good time coming west, though; much longer and he would have died of dehydration and starvation." He thought of the figure as a boy as well, apparently.

Atudire knelt down beside the boy, looking him over. "Who is he? Any idea?" he asked.

The Serpentine shook his head. "None at all," he said. "He was passed out when we found him: I almost tripped over him when looking for supplies back here."

Atudire examined the boy's features. They were... unclear. Part of it was the starvation, no doubt, but he was also a mix-color. A mongrel, possibly. "He doesn't look Chislev," Atudire considered, brushing hair out of the boy's distant eyes.

As he did so, the boy became animated. His eyes focused on Atudire, and the resting arm jumped to grab Atudire's own.

"They-" it began, suffering many false starts as it coughed through it's raw throat, "they march to the Isle. The Isle!" His eyes were wide at the name of the destination, and his free hand made a feeble sign over his chest.

"Who?" asked Atudire, leaning in close after recovering from his own surprise. "Who left? The Chislev? Where, what Isle?"

"The Masters called them, and so, and so," the boy babbled, "and so they left, they took the gift and Returned, to gather and prepare for Her arrival. She will come, and when she does they will return and reap vengence on this land!"

"Who? Who is she?" demanded Atudire, alarmed at the boy's nature. Was this memory? Delirium? Prophesy?

"She is our promised one, the Masters chosen! She is Their extension onto the Dry. Beware her! The Kraken of the Fields will come yet, and when she arrives the watery dead will return! The Masters' servants now but secure their path of return!"

The boy passed out shortly after, and soon a Medicos arrived as well. As the boy was carried away, Atudire brooded over what it might portend. Looking North to the Meliah River, where another Serpent had been sighted, he knew it likely did not bode well.

13. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

Giant Kraken Rampages in Archos

A monstrous Kraken has appeared in the Bottomless Lake, the one and only lake in Archos territory and branched off the Meliah River. The lake is surrounded by steep cliffs, with only limited shoreline around it, and is famous for being immeasurably deep. This is the same area that the Archos military recently surrounded.

Appearing with no warning, the Kraken emerged and ravaged the Archos forces on the beaches and along the lake mouth. Larger than any other Kraken seen to date, this monster's reach is large enough to clear the top of the cliffs. Since it's initial appearance, the Kraken has remained in the deep, emerging only to attack whoever draws near.

Limited to the highest cliffs, the Archos have been poorly suited to take down the monster. Archer arrows merely bounce off the tentacles that emerge, while spider-poisons are pitifully weak. Mages have been a little more effective, but unable to be decisive against the monster that can hide beneath the deep and seemingly regenerate it's limbs. For now, the Bottomless Lake is unapproachable.

One thing is a relief, though. The monster is far too massive to travel through the rivers, and is limited to it's lake... and whatever passages it took to arrive.

14. Diamondeye

Spoiler Comillo 4 :

"You will lower you swords, gentlemen."
    Flauros spoke with an almost sleepy calm, but the guards hesitated, still pointing their weapons at Comillo. "Lower your swords. I believe his words."
    The guards sent sceptical looks at Flauros, but lowered their weapons. Except for the man who had almost become Comillo's executioner. Flauros remained calm.
    "Masmillum, do you have a problem with our new guest?"
    The man didn't answer, he just held feverishly held on to his sword, still pointing towards Comillo's throat. Flauros sighed and started over:
    "Masmillum, can you agree that the enemy of my friend is my enemy?"
    The man nodded.
    "And that if I, as the leader of the Calabim, claim this man my friend, killing him would make you...?"
    The man was shaking on his sword hand now, slowly lowering the weapon. "An enemy of the Calabim, M'Lord."
    Flauros nodded, a tiny smile on his mouth. "And we don't want that now, do we? Come, this is not the cave we seek. Comillo, come along, what we find will interest the Grigori aswell."

15. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

It was a sight never seen in the world before or after. Deep, deep in the Bottomless Lake, far beyond the view of human eyes.

Far beyond their eyes as well, long since caved in by the presures of the sea they were not born for. Despite their loss of eyes, their ruptured eardrums, they went forward, as reliable as a school of fish, never bumping into one another or the walls. With their water-filled lungs, they softly trode on the floor.

If a Sheaim necromancer were to view the sight through a Kraken's eye, even they would be awed, and no small bit jealous. A seemingly endless procession of bodies, dead (or at least as close to dead as Drown were) all marching to a nameless destination at their Master's beckons. Men, women, even children of all ages. Some were fit, others were fail, all trudged forward regardless.

Upon inspection, they were in various states of repair. The feeblest, the smallers, had been unable to keep up: their bodies broken apart, but even now what remains they had left were writhing to follow their Master's call. Many were in surprisingly good health: their bodies unmarred, their frames strong.

Others were weaker: those Drowned upon contracting the plague, bodies frozen at an unhealthy time. Some were wounded warriors. Others had simply been unfirm, or reacted badly to the process.

Very few showed any signs of struggle. Only a handful still showed handmarks where stronger arms had forced them down, pried open their jaws.

None showed the scratches on the inside, where the ocean parasite had scrambled down their throats before taking root inside them. Those that had been alerted had resisted with weapons... they had never left.

Over, around them, other creatures of the deep swam, even some from the deep. The underground rivers flowed to the ocean itself, and branched underneath Mazera. The majority of the creatures ignored them: the Overlords wanted nothing coming between their worshipers and their destination. Enough would already be wasted and worn out by the journey.

But every once in a while, an impertinent beast would approach. Hungry, uncontrollable, or simply influenced by one the of the conflicting Voices. It would come, it would attack, bighting into the target, ripping it apart in short order.

The Drown did not resist. They did not fight back. But soon, if not immediately, a guardian would come to protect them. A massive tentacle would reach down, plucking the offender and breaking it in two with a mere twitch.

The Drown, as if never noticing, would simply march forward. Down, deeper into the Bottomless lake. Into the source of that water, the river to the ocean. And then... then they would almost be home.

16. thomas.berubeg

It is said that when a dreamer dreams, laying in her pool of water, she sees and knows the universe. all that has happened, all that will happen, all that never will happen, and all that happened in a different world

17. lemonjelly

lemonjelly Modding For Ethne

Deadlands just got better. Yey for magic. =]

Spoiler :
    We were waiting for them, we were ready. Nothing could, nothing would go wrong. If it went badly, if Amurite blood was spilt, then everybody was doomed. For, if the Deadlands weren’t cleansed, then the Infernals couldn’t be stopped, the forces assembled at the shore couldn’t win, and the power of the corrupted would win. The taint in everyone’s soul would damn them to hell, and Mazera would turn black and gold, a shadowy reflection of the light and purity in everybody’s’ souls. And, with that knowledge, Lorelei Coral had called for everything they had. Farmers, Scholars, Weavers, everybody. Priests, Philosophers, Diplomats, everybody. There was no way out. And, she also knew that, on the mainland, every single citizen was meditating, adding to the potent magical strength of the army.

They all got ready, some polishing their weaponry, others placing wards of protection over loved ones. One young girl was praying, kneeled down in front of a tree, wearing a soft white dress. It was the dress of an Elohim Devout. A single tear slid down her face, and was absorbed by the ground. It was going to be a long day.

And, with their army, the Amurites waited. In the distance, the shadowy grey city of Galveholm loomed. And, the city gates opened. Out poured an army, many, many times bigger than the small Amurite forces gathered at the top of the hill. And, behind them, some of the bravest warriors, and some of the most skilled of the Elohim and Bannor troops joined the army assembled at the top of the hill. The rest stayed in the tents, afraid of the magics that could occur. And as the forces marched up, magical energy made the air glitter. Streams of this glittering air was coming from all directions. A river of it was pouring over the sea, from the Amurites on the mainland. A smaller stream came from the Malakim, the Grigori, the Khadi. It seemed that the same message had been uncovered. In the ancient texts, the same warning, of this date, and how it spelt the end of civilization. So, they attacked. They attacked for everyone, for their family, for their friends, and for their Gods. Without moving, and with the powers given to them by Kylorin, they attacked and slaughtered over half of the forces climbing over the hill using just the powers of the mind. Shutting down their brains, their nervous system, killing them as they marched. But, they were still outnumbered. So, they started gathering energy, until the air was thick with latent magical energy. As the first lines of the army appeared over the top of the hill, and the air glimmered with magic. The young woman stood out of the lines, on the edge of a cliff. The army looked shocked, she was going to be slaughtered. And even though she looked young, her eyes told a different story. Full of pain and sorrow. She alone knew what was going to happen, she had been waiting for this for many lives, waiting for the stars to arrange themselves. She whispered a quick prayer to Sirona, to Sucellus, to Nantosuelta, to Oghma, and to Mulcarn. Then she started singing, the words as beautiful as the voice singing them, and the stars shifted, making an alignment never seen before, made up of the angels of the five gods.

When Mulcarn deemed an endless cold
    And greenwoods rotted bleak and sere
    The moon wept high above the world
    To see its beauty dwindling:
    To earth fell down a single tear
    And there stepped forth a shining girl
    Like moonlight that through alabaster
    Wells, its pallor kindling.

And, as she sung, the spirits sung as well. The mist of power changed, attracted to the singer. A strange, unearthly wind swept her hair.

Such beauty made all beauty dim
    And homage called from voiceless stone
    Like whitest samite was her skin
    Or seafoam softly glimmering
    A star that lit the night alone
    She stepped the winter woods within,
    A pearl a-glisten in the gloam,
    A moonbeam fleetly shimmering

The clouds separated, and a single beam of light illuminated the young girl. The light added to the halo of energy already swirling around her. Slowly, the halo grew stronger, and the young girl’s beauty seemed to grow.

Then wild amazement fastened on
    The Moonchild’s heart, and far she ran,
    Through all the vales of Lirion
    Her voice like bellnotes echoing:
    And from the branches blossom sprang
    In iron groves of leafmeal wan,
    And Spring herself woke up and sang,
    The gentle Summer beckoning.

And, through the mists, you could see a faint vision of this island before the fall. The vision grew stronger, trees looming through the mists of time, affecting the fabric of reality.

She passed into the mountain keeps
    Where stormdogs guard the ravined walls,
    A moonbeam piercing dismal deeps,
    Down jagged ridges clambering:
    Until she found a crystal fall,
    A river frozen in its leap,
    And in its depths a marble hall
    Of lofty spires was trembling.

And, then the air grew colder, freezing the trees as the view changed. A small river at the bottom of the hill froze, and the sky split open, letting the small frozen flakes of water float through the sky and land on the ground.

In wonderment she silent fell,
    And stood below the wall of glass
    Enraptured by the citadel,
    Its endless, sparkling mullions:
    Like lillies caught in sudden frost
    Which grew no more, but comely still,
    Forlornly cast those towers of ice
    Their cold and lifeless brilliance.

And, with a flash of blinding light, the vision spread, covering the whole island. The ice spread, freezing the army, grass turning white as quickly as the snow fell.

And to her touch the towers wept
    She called the power that had died
    The thread of magic to bring forth
    And awake the life dormant in me
    And ice did turn into stone,
    And from the stone life blossomed
    And flowered and spread through the land
    The life was born from death

The singing echoed around, and the young girl was glowing, shining brighter, and as she flicked her wrist, snow, blossom and leaves were swept across the frozen ground. Where they landed, small flowers grew. She placed a hand on the trunk of a tree next to her. The singing resonated through the land, and she drew the halo of energy through her body, into the tree, and through the frozen ground. All was silent for a moment, a second that stretched for aeons. Then, as suddenly as it froze, the tree burst into life. Leaves unfurled, and as they grew, the ground awoke. Grass and flowers grew from the frozen earth, and, as the thawing spread through the Sheaim army, they started glittering. The spells and wards cast around them shone in the regenerating magics in the air. They shone, and slowly broke up, swirling particles of energy turning against the Sheaim, promoting life instead of destroying it. A piercing scream died in the wind. Soldiers tried to run, but they couldn’t, and the magical overload absorbed the fell energies cast into their blood. Particle after particle of their existence faded, transmuted into power, which was absorbed by the ground. Very few of the soldiers survived, and those that did were purified in the potent healing magics. The energy consumed the great city of Galveholm, replacing it with an ancient forest from a past era. The Amurite army started walking back. All were exhausted, some went and packed up their stuff, and headed for the boats, some set up massive scrying pools, and arranged boats to the island. And, one lonely girl found a clearing, sat on a tree stump, and cried.

The young singer knew that the spell had to be completed. She knew the cost. And, she knew that one man would miss her more than life itself. Because, No one ever really pays for it in silver. The price of any evil-- necessary or otherwise-- comes due in flesh. And, she knew that what she was doing was evil. She used the divine magic of life, of her life, past, present and future. She created a spell of power, a rune so ancient even the Risen Emperor didn’t know it. A rune so powerful, it was banned in the signing of the Compact. But, the gods were on her side, and she knew that all magic could be used for good. So, the final rune was cast, and she looked out on the island, imagining what her other lives could have been like, and, she took out a ornate, silver locket, and hung it on a tree branch.

She could see that the spell was starting to unravel, she had to do it now. And, so she pulled out a ceremonial dagger. She shouted out that she was sorry, and her lover turned around. He saw the point, and instantly knew what she planned to do. He ran over, but it was all for nothing. It was too late. The world crashed around him, as she sunk the dagger into her flesh. A red stain spread through her clothes. The runes cast in the trees around her started to glow, and her body disintegrated, turned into stardust. And, it suddenly became clear. She couldn’t, wouldn’t be brought back. Her last actions were to destroy her eternal body and free her soul. And, as her life was extinguished, he saw a shining butterfly sweep gracefully into the sky. He waited for the descent, the sign that she was going to be reborn, but it didn’t come. In saving the world, she had doomed herself. He looked up at the stars, and whispered a prayer. For, everybody knows that everybody dies, and after millennia of living, she had finally completely passed into the other life. She had died saving millions, and nobody would remember her for it. He went to leave, but turned around, and picked up an ornate locket. Memories flashed back, of that time in the Age of Magic, the very first time she remembered. A single tear fell on the locket. The silver seemed to ripple, and he wished, for a moment, foolishly imagined that she was standing behind him. He walked over to the edge of a cliff, and looked down into the sea. He grasped the locket tight, held it to his heart.

He looked over the sea, and slowly, his hair turned greyer, he got older. His cloak turned royal red. It was time to stop hiding. There was nothing left for him, so he had no fears of dying. He threw the spell off, reverting to how he had looked for over 1000 years. And, so, he declared in the voices of old, that this island shall be renamed, to be known for eternity, as the Isle Of Eve. It was the only thing he could do. And, as he cast the spell of teleporting, he too one last look at the island, at the Elohim and Bannor warriors rushing out to see the beauty of the land, and, a single tear slid down his face, and landed on the newly-born land. An idea struck him. There was one thing he could do, one thing that could save her, that had already saved her. At the last minute, he decided against it. She was gone, and it would be wrong to bring her back. So, he faded away. He had to save Erebus, for the sacrifice of eternal life may have destroyed one evil, but the Infernal were still here, and it was up to him to stop them.

*~*

The Amurite nation held a conference today, about what would be done with the Isle of Eve. In an outstanding turn-around, the council declared that the island would be free for all to settle, a true island of peace. The first city is being built in the middle of a forest, using knowledge granted to them by the Ljosalfar. Elohim, Bannor and Amurite citizens have moved into the city, created by singing to the trees. Ljosalfar citizens are expected to arrive within a week.

In other news, a monument has appeared in the middle of several cities, a statue of a beautiful girl, dressed in the traditional clothes of an Elohim devout. The cities these sculptures appeared in seem to be unrelated. So far, monuments have been confirmed in Udenarat, Midgar, Radonnor, Kwythellar, Garduk and Grottiburg. When Grigori specialists studied the statue, they could find no trace of toolmarks, as if they had just appeared out of thin air. At night, a faint outline of a butterfly is said to appear in the air behind the monuments. A plaque was found on them yesterday, reading:
    Seeing beauty makes you feel beautiful. Seeing tragedy makes you feel sad. Seeing yourself... Well if you look long enough, you may find who you really are.

18. Dean_the_Young

Dean_the_Young King

The Tower of Necromancy rises in Os-Gabella's Sheaim

In the wake of the disastrous defeat of Tebryn's undead armies on the Deadlands, Os-Gabella has stepped forth to defend the Sheaim nation and their military prowess. A dark and horrific tower has begun to rise in her capital: a tower dedicated to the study and manipulation of the darker magics, the magics of death, entropy, shadow, and all their like.

Os-Gabella invites all who would share peace with her Sheaim to participate in this tower, nations of good and evil alike. The Infernals aid is virtually guaranteed; the D'tesh have not formally accepted, but would be a mystery if they refused. Os-Gabella's offer is open to all.

One nation in particular that she has taken pains to publicly invite is the Grigori and their Medicos. But she must know that the Grigori's OverCouncil allies would strongly protest.

Lanun Announce Anti-Leviathan Fleet

A purpose-gathered fleet of Lanun ships has been assembled to track, hunt, and hopefully kill the Leviathan.

Tracking the Leviathan with a number of swift cutters which, in tandem with communication, can dog the Leviathan, the Lanun hunter fleet is centered around it's largest vessels: the siege ships. Laughably unsuited for any real sort of naval battle, these ships are the Lanun means to wage siege from the waves. Trebuchets can launch massive projectiles, and Lanun accuracy at sea could make even the Leviathan wary. These seige ships are accompanied by a small navy of escorts, supply, defenders, and even troop transports, in case the Leviathan comes close enough that the elite Sea-Hunters, aided by water-walking magic, can step out to deal with the beastie personally.

Grigori Deny Rumors of Chislev Survivor

The Grigori government has officially denied rumors that a Chislev survivor was found, and instead suggest any such person was most probably a squatter with a tall tale.

In unrelated news that is good for merchants, the Grigori government has finally dropped extensive inspections of wagons and caravans entering or leaving the capital city. No longer will cargo large enough to discretely smuggle anyone in or out of the city be randomly magically tested for living beings inside.

19. cypher132

cypher132 Emperor

Apologies for not being around. I've been a bit under the weather. I'll attempt to get some stuff done today. The more people that are involved in this thread, the more likely I'm going to keep interest in it. Now to read everything I've missed..

20. Kyzarc Fotjage

Kyzarc Fotjage Rise Up

First story, w00t!
    Spoiler :
    Ovon stared out over the city of Innsmouth, noting the hundreds of ships that made berth there, ships bound to fight his hated former masters in the Infernal archipelago. He's only been Awakened for three months and he's already stopped two of his 'associates'. Atheven joined him on the bluff and they silently watched the waking city, enjoying these moments of peace before they went in. Minutes later there was no sign their camp ever existed.

Three hours later:
    The rain pounded down as Ovon crouched under a tree, feeling the knife wound in his thigh. The counter-agents knew they were coming! Everything was going according to plan; they snuck into Rith’s manor, knocked out a pair of guards, and captured Rith, casting the spell which forced awakening. Athevon had been the first to realize something was wrong, on the way out he had heard a hissing and threw the others out the window. They crashed into a dozen men who were sneaking up on the manor, just as the manor exploded behind them. Athevon was thrown out by the blast and smashed into another agent. When the agents recovered the others were already halfway across the street. After a half-hour chase the agents were either dead or had broken off. Deyna carried Rith back while he and Athevon practically carried each other to their temporary base while local ‘police’ were still mobilizing
    He didn’t know what they could possibly do now; there was no point in going after any other sleepers at this point, they had barely escaped as it was. They would have to be prepared and better equipped to take on the next target, and the best source of income he knew of for people with their talents was mercenaries.

Terrorist Strike in Innsmouth

A renowned and well liked captain, Rith, has disappeared and is presumed dead after his house was destroyed in a large explosion. His wife and several fellow captains died in the blast while the captain's body was never recovered. Officials say that this is a sign of Infernal desperation at their recent loss of several ships to Lanun vigilance.