Medieval European Mod II

Man, I am having one ***** of a time downloading this bastard. I have restarted twice and it's going slowly. I am listening to the Devils-Sens game online, but still I thought my connection was pretty good. The anticipation is killing me. :sad:

EDIT: wow, I got censored! I meant to say, I was having one "female dog" of a time :lol:

After playing the whole day, with the Byzantines, I have tu say a few things.

1. THANK YOU! Finally I can play a Medieval mod that has everything you want in a Medieval Mod. It look that is well balance (playing lower levels) no bugs, nothing out of the ordinary. Compact and extremly playable.

2. Love the graphics. But I have an issue with the Civs Colors. Why France has to be Pink, Byzantines be light pink and Germany yellow? France ir more acurated to be Dark Blue, Byzantines to "normal" pink. Same thing with the Moors and the Abbasyds; bright green isn´t good. Have you try Rhye´s team color? The are HERE.

3. I found a Bug: I can´t see the amount of polution in a City. Is that intended?

4. I love what you did with the units so far, but I think that Archers and Crosssbows were defensive units (a la Civ 4) Spears were all around and Swords were ofensive units. I don´t now if you are planing to re-do this or stays like that.

5. Hard to chose which Civs are going to get in, but I´m happy with the result. But I reather see Armenia gone, the Turks moved more to the E, and use that spot to get The Papal States or Moscovia in. Also you dont make a difference between Eastern Ortodox and Roman Catholic, that I think adds more flavor.

6. Again, Thank you for making this mod. I been a grat experience so far.

Thanks for all the comments :D

2. Love the graphics. But I have an issue with the Civs Colors. Why France has to be Pink, Byzantines be light pink and Germany yellow? France ir more acurated to be Dark Blue, Byzantines to "normal" pink. Same thing with the Moors and the Abbasyds; bright green isn´t good. Have you try Rhye´s team color? The are HERE.

Yes if you look again we're using a custom colour scheme that gets rid of some shades of pink/violet e.g. Portugal uses Rhye`s azure blue, and Rus uses my cream-white. But you can't get rid of the Pink altogether without making some civs indistinguishable (though I won't complain if someone proves me wrong here :D )

Germany's national colour scheme since the middle ages is yellow(gold)-black (I could agree to changing Germany to black and Khazars to yellow, if that makes more sense?). Of course France needs dark blue, but so does Sweden, and I really don't want pink vikings! I don't see why Byzantines should be pink, lavender is bad enough ;) As far as Arabs and Moors go, Green is the symbolic colour of Islam (from the colour of Muhammad's banner), and Islamic kingdoms are usually green on maps etc.

3. I found a Bug: I can´t see the amount of polution in a City. Is that intended?

Not a bug - it's intended. There's no pollution :mischief: You'll notice that that space is taken by additional luxuries. As far as the disease goes, you're not supposed to see it, but it's rather easy to figure out.

4. I love what you did with the units so far, but I think that Archers and Crosssbows were defensive units (a la Civ 4) Spears were all around and Swords were ofensive units. I don´t now if you are planing to re-do this or stays like that.

Unfortunately all around units have no real point from the stupid AI's perspective in Civ3, so we went with the Civ3 model. Archers/Crossbows are also "support" defensive units because of Defensive bombard ability, which works fine.

5. Hard to chose which Civs are going to get in, but I´m happy with the result. But I reather see Armenia gone, the Turks moved more to the E, and use that spot to get The Papal States or Moscovia in. Also you dont make a difference between Eastern Ortodox and Roman Catholic, that I think adds more flavor.

Armenia is too important to be gone, it existed through nearly all of Middle Ages as a Christian stronghold in the Muslim Middle-East. Grand Duchy of Moscow is way too late - it's a 14th century creation. My 11th century scenario includes Vladimir-Suzdal Rus though. Also Papal States have no real way to exist in the mod proper - there's no space on the map, and not much point of them being in. For the most part the Pope's actual territorial control was little or none, while spiritual and political influence stretched through all of Europe, which can't be portrayed in Civ3.

There will be, however, custom mod/scenario BIQ variants added with different maps and civs. Those include: Papal States, Wallachia, Vladimir-Suzdal, Georgia, Outremer/Jerusalem and Teutonic Order. And maybe something else I can't remember! :confused:

Also, the way religions work, which is at least seamless and easy for the player, allow only 2 full religions (+3rd that's a mix of the two). There are of course ways to include more but the gameplay/balance issues are not worth it IMO.

I have seen the AI build and use spearmen in Rhye's mod and they have 2,2,1 for thier stats in that...

(OMG could this be the first time ED got something wrong?!?!?!)
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Ofcause the AI will build them. It is how they are used compared to the other units, that matters.

Downloaded this wonderful scenario 2 days ago, and I love it :goodjob:
Just one suggestion: Unfortunately Italy will be united only in the late 19th century, so maybe the correct name for that civilization may be Italian City-States, or Italian Communes.
One more thing: "Condotta" is an association of mercenaries, while the mercenaries themselves are called "Condottieri" (singular: condottiero), so please consider change the unit name.

I have seen the AI build and use spearmen in Rhye's mod and they have 2,2,1 for thier stats in that...

(OMG could this be the first time ED got something wrong?!?!?!)
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Impossible ;) First of all, I didn't say that the AI wouldn't build it :p The AI generally builds the best Offensive and Defensive unit, occasionally building the inferior ones as well. The formula is known so you can play with the values to make them equal. But what for? If a 2.2 unit is built with "Defensive" flag, it'll be worse than a 1.3 unit. If it's built with "Offensive" flag, it'll be worse than a 3.1 one. Either way, the AI gets an inferior unit. Remember that a unit with both Offensive and Defensive strategy marked is built and acts as either one, but not both...

@Stormrage
Yeah, the AI in WH occasionally builds mages, which have equally bad offense and defense, compared to all other units. ZoC is the interesting thing about them, but the AI just suicides them, while he could have used a normal offensive unit with higher attack ;) It's a minor thing that adds a fun factor, but if you're into efficient warfare in WH, it's the best not to build mages at all...

@Gnaag
I'm well aware of the situation in Italy, but I don't see the name such a problem (we were considering other options though, e.g. MEM1 had Tuscany, calgacus suggested Lombard League also, but it's all too particular for all that area). Also, the Kingdom of Italy existed through 9th and 10th centuries when the mod starts, and later, at least formally.

As far as the Condotta unit goes, I did check it prior to naming the unit and from what I've read (frankly, on wiki and other internet resources), condottiero is the mercenary leader while condotta is a mercenary association/unit/army - hence the name of the unit.

Hey, I downloaded it, and it looks great. But the moment I try to move onto the second turn, it crashes! The message I get is
"File not found Art\Units\Medieval Spearman\.. \ Archer\ArchVicYell.wav"

Probably something I'm doing wrong...

Hey, I downloaded it, and it looks great. But the moment I try to move onto the second turn, it crashes! The message I get is
"File not found Art\Units\Medieval Spearman\.. \ Archer\ArchVicYell.wav"

Probably something I'm doing wrong...

It looks as if you were trying to run the mod on a non-english version of Civ3. It will work only with the English version, though there are batch file converters than can turn a localized version into one that works with mods. If it's an English version, what is it (complete? gold?)

Civ III Complete.
Yeah, it's the english version, can't speak German or anything.

it seems unlikely but lets see - can you then go to your Civ3 complete folder, then to Art/Units/Archer and see if the file "ArchVicYell.wav" is there or is it not. If not, I'll immediately release a patch for Civ3: Complete users ;) (because Firaxis decided to not include some sound files from original Civ3 in the Complete package).

There's an "ArcherVictory", but no "ArcherVicYell".

A patch would be great. I can't wait to play this, it looks beautiful. Thanks.

embryodead said:
@Gnaag
I'm well aware of the situation in Italy, but I don't see the name such a problem (we were considering other options though, e.g. MEM1 had Tuscany, calgacus suggested Lombard League also, but it's all too particular for all that area). Also, the Kingdom of Italy existed through 9th and 10th centuries when the mod starts, and later, at least formally.

As far as the Condotta unit goes, I did check it prior to naming the unit and from what I've read (frankly, on wiki and other internet resources), condottiero is the mercenary leader while condotta is a mercenary association/unit/army - hence the name of the unit.

Yes, a "Kingdom of Italy" existed, but it was a province of the Holy Roman Empire. Some kings of this political creation tried to rise against the Emperor, but without succes. "From the end of the 11th century, the Kingdom of Italy was merely a nominal title held by the Holy Roman Emperor with little real territorial control" (From wikipedia). The 11th and 12th century marked the beginning of the Communes. Not only the Lombard League ones, but also the central italy ones. That's the reason why I suggest the name change: Kingdom of Italy was an artificial creation, that had no real power nor political dignity, while Communes were the only political form for central and northern Italy.

Something about Condotte: yes, you're right when you say that they were mercenary association/army, but no document call a mercenary soldier "Condotta". They're often referred as milites (infantry), equites (knights) or called basing upon the equipment (berrovieri, for example, were mounted crossbowmen). It's also true that condottiero is a mercenary leader, the one that ruled the condotta, but I think it could be ok for this scenario... If you want a more specific name for the italian mercenaries you can choose "Masnadieri" (singular: Masnadiero).
Believe me I know what I write, I studied the mercenary sistem of medieval Italy last year, for my exam of Medieval History. I'm italian, and btw there's no sign of the word "condotta" referred to a single mercenary in my dictionary.

@chg228
This is weird, I remember T.A.Jones, among others, has Civ3:Complete and didn't have this problem. Whatever version you have, this patch below should fix it. Let me know if it's alright now. You should install it in the same place as the mod - directly into Conquests/Scenarios

Attachments

• MEM-c3c-patch.zip
    130.7 KB · Views: 274
It works! Thank you so much.

I'm off the conquer the world as the Fatimids.

This is absolutely fabulous work. I really enjoyed the Middle Ages scenario that came with conquests, and if I had had the modding skill I'd have made a souped up and expanded version of it.

This is it and this is it above and beyond what I could even think of. Amazing and a boatload of fun (agricultural, scientific, and industrious Middle Ages civs! Fabulous! I always wanted them in the original one). Thank you very much you guys. Grand work, grand work. I downloaded this this morning and loaded up a game with the Scots just to get a taste. Marched south and conquered England in a reversal of history; a United Britain under Scotland. And there's so many other tribes waiting to be tried!

Also, I want to give particular kudos to you guys for having the "random map" version of the mod, because I like being able to play a classic "random map" type civ game with this all-medival flavor. Bye bye career and interpersonal advancement, hello Civ3 again! :)

Top Bottom