Micro Challenge III

Sorry I've been trying to post from my phone while watching a movie with the wife. I can give more details in a bit.

Tried that already but got teleported back. Mhm...

Spoiler :

I didn't teleport the galley, just the GP. Gift both cities to Zara or SB after the GP arrives in the second one. Declare war and you will get teleported forward to Germany.

Got it. Bulawayo must be settled north for teleportation to Hamburg. Small detail cost me lot of time and nerves.

Really? Pretty sure I settled it on the southern tile.

One time I didnt settle south, it worked. Anyways, congratulations!

Spoiler :
How else was there to beat T12 :p
Once you had the idea to teleport, you're very close to the solution.

T7 and T12 are not close in such a small time frame. I am trying to say that Izuul did better than expected to be possible by at least a turn.

The solution was very close, I never mentioned anything about finish date on purpose :lol:

Spoiler :
At first, I was trying to make it possible on turn 0, but I felt having the capital be the Buddhist city would be too much of a give-away. So I added more tiles and a small bit of micro (with some key techs removed) at the start.

Turn 7
Spoiler :
After learning how teleportation worked, I transported a worker and settler ASAP. (Two workers seemed counter productive.) The first worker built 1 road to allow the settler to settle on the turn so that the 2nd worker could join forces on a fort by unloading in the city and using the rail to help with the fort. Gifted city to Zara with a movement left on galley then DOWed, getting a time saving bump. I'm not sure if I understand how the DOW bump worked but teleportation for turn 7 was easy. I wonder if the settler + prophet can be teleported to the second road block.

Turn 5
Spoiler :
After duplicating turn 7 with a 2 worker approach, a lightbulb went off. Fortify the galleon and 1 worker at the start. They are not needed. It is in the DOW mechanic. Micro consists of using serfdom to build precisely 1 road.

The thing that puzzles me
Spoiler :
is the apparent urge to send 2 workers first instead of a worker + settler. Time on board galley is constant. The 2nd worker loses a turn unloading. (It may be possible to get the worker working immediately on disembarkation.) This turn can be lost just as easily by staying put in the capitol. Furthermore, it will lose another turn if it moves off an unroaded hill. So a commitment has been made to road it. That is a turn that doesn't expedite a possible fort. Lost turn #2 unless it expedites the settler. (Doubtful.) With time on board galley constant, it might as well stay put in the capitol -- or lose the turn by being loaded onto an offshore galley. On the flip side, sending a worker + settler doesn't appear faster. It appears only as fast. Both the worker and settler appear to use the same number of turns. The difference is in flexibility. More options seem to be retained by choosing to send the settler + worker first.

@iggymnrr

Did you get T5 Mahabodhi or those were some T5 reflections?

Spoiler :
If you managed to get T5 Mahabodhi, how did you prevent teleporting to neutral land on Nobamba island? Heck, what did you do?

The thing that puzzles me
Spoiler :
is the apparent urge to send 2 workers first instead of a worker + settler. Time on board galley is constant. The 2nd worker loses a turn unloading. (It may be possible to get the worker working immediately on disembarkation.) This turn can be lost just as easily by staying put in the capitol. Furthermore, it will lose another turn if it moves off an unroaded hill. So a commitment has been made to road it. That is a turn that doesn't expedite a possible fort. Lost turn #2 unless it expedites the settler. (Doubtful.) With time on board galley constant, it might as well stay put in the capitol -- or lose the turn by being loaded onto an offshore galley. On the flip side, sending a worker + settler doesn't appear faster. It appears only as fast. Both the worker and settler appear to use the same number of turns. The difference is in flexibility. More options seem to be retained by choosing to send the settler + worker first.

Congrats on T5, that's impressive.

Spoiler :

I'm not sure you are even building a fort to get a T5 finish, but i don't believe that sending worker + settler speeds up the fort vs sending worker + worker. Unload workers on T1, they both move on T2, on T3 one worker builds a 1T road, the other moves down to begin the fort. City gets settled on T4, fort finishes on T5.

Worker + Settler would get unloaded on T1, move on T2, build road on T3 which allows city to get settled on that turn (1T earlier), the other galley moves into the city (i think it can make it all the way there) and unloads the worker in the city allowing him to start on the fort on T3 (same as above). Fort finishes on T5 (same as above).

I think that's how it works, but I'm doing this in my head from recollection of the game. The only difference i see is settling the city 1T earlier.

Anyway, I'll have to see if i can figure out how to do this on T5 when i get home. Nice job!

@iggymnrr

Did you get T5 Mahabodhi or those were some T5 reflections?

Spoiler :
If you managed to get T5 Mahabodhi, how did you prevent teleporting to neutral land on Nobamba island? Heck, what did you do?

Spoiler :
Yeah, i was playing around with teleporting from the first island last night, and all i achieved was getting sent to other tiles on the same island. I must be missing something.

He did get t5 wich is very impressive. I would have never thought of how to do it myself without seeing that it was possible first.

Spoiler :
The idea is to move the galley with settler and prophet south of the city. Open borders with the leader you're going to gift the city. Gift the city to said leader and then declare war. The galley will be ported across the mountain to the right side. Gifting without open borders on the other hand just ports you back.

Impressive! What I admire the most is iggy's faith that he could do better than T7.

Spoiler :
So teleportation mechanics is different for closing Open Borders and for declaring war...
Like teleporting wasn't already far-fetched.

Trying all possible combinations to get the desired result isn't actually a micro, since in normal games you don't have so many tries (you have exactly one) and normally try to do intuitive and logical stuff. I am sorry all the irrational exploits will never be banned or shunned at least.

Top Bottom