1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[UNIT] Mighty Ships Et Al

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by MightyToad, Mar 6, 2020.

1. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

That dude looks cool. Yes, I intend to make a mesoamerican galleass as soon as these sea people are in the rear view. I don't know if it will be an entire Renaissance line up yet. I think the grenade slinger idea for Matsudas japanese unit would be better for a grenadier.
    That is really the extent of the thought I put into it so far.:think:

2. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

They had guns at one point that fired grenades. Napoleonic times I think. Ancestor of Grenade Launcher. Are you talking about Philistines/Sea People with guns? That is madness.....the horror

Galleas looking forward to. Frigate I imagine something like your african ship.

Found out about the Putun, a seafaring, trading civilization that were related to the Mayans, said to be direct descendants of the Olmecs, and had an extensive trade network all the way up to Canada. They had cities up the Mexican coast. They traded with the Taino in the Caribbean, Mississippian culture, spreading knowledge and ideas.

This was a ship they had:

Make a good UU perhaps if one wanted to make a Putun Civilization.

Also I made this:

image_2021-01-09_212904.png

New Sails, and I redid the hull with a wood texture from another ship. What do you think?

Attached Files:

3. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

No, not sea people. I'm talking about a mesoamerican grenadier. One that uses peltast animations like Matsudas Japanese grenade slinger. Sea people with grenades is just madness. :eek:

I like the sail texture. The wood needs more work.

4. Sword_Of_Geddon

I could do more with the EU4 Early Frigate I think, with the quetzal head. Also, I could retexture a Eu4 Ship of the Line. I have something alittle different with that in mind. Up to you.

The Putun sailing canoe looks like the Haida Trireme/Sailing Galley you made. I could probably make it by retexturing...hmmm

5. Sword_Of_Geddon

image_2021-01-09_230008.png

Putun Galley, used mostly for trading goods across the Caribbean and coasts of Eastern Mexico to the Southern parts of coastal north america. Based off your Haida Galley. I took the textures from your Meso Trireme.

Fyi: The Putun with their seaworthy boats, emblazoned with serpent heads, traveled long distances in search of more primitive peoples, who could be enslaved.

Your what-if ships, are abit less what if Toad :)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  6. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

Just want to point out the Haida galley is Matsudas baby. Not mine. ;)
    What-If ships are the most difficult. I did not enjoy making the mesotrireme and caravel.
    You really need to be an artist to design stuff like that.

7. Sword_Of_Geddon

Oh my mistake OO. Credit to Matsuda for that then. I've also worked on the War Galleon abit more. I want the hull to have more decorations like your Trireme. I'm thinking a pattern on the side, something simple.

As for other meso ships I was thinking you would use the Trireme as a base, and change the hull when needed, cannons for the Galleas, and a Frigate type hull but with the Trireme's decorations(temple in back etc). As I read yesterday, the Putun(east coast offshoot of the Maya and descendants of the Olmecs as well) had sailing canoes with serpent heads. They used those for war and the ship I linked a screenshot of for trading. They apparently founded colonies in Florida, the Caribbean and Georgia. Putun kind of remind me of the Haida meets the Phoenicians with traditional Mayan thrown into the mix.

8. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

9. Sword_Of_Geddon

The Sea Peoples have come to invade to show they are a bunch of uncultured Philistines!

MightyToad likes this.
  10. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

That putun boat looks like a scaled down mycenaean galley. I wanted to do that for the sea people, but just converted the civ 5 trireme.

11. Sword_Of_Geddon

Yeah its convergent development. Putin Sailing Canoes looked like that(but with one sail per the picture). They also had HUGE standard canoes, 60 feet long, as well as serpent headed sailing warships, used for raiding(Which they then would trade to others). Sort of a cross between Viking raiding and Phoenician trading.

Civ5 Trireme a good fit. The ship is smaller than the Civ4 Trireme, so it is faster, lethal, but also capable of carrying a deadly ground of raiders. A good choice.

12. tantanmen

tantanmen Warlord

Yeaaaasss, this is yet another one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen! Of course I might be a little buzzed biased ;) Thank you MightyToad for making our “Philistine / Sea Peoples” dreams come true :worship:

MightyToad likes this.
  13. Sword_Of_Geddon

I will be releasing the Putun leaderhead, then I get to work on the Philistine leader. Trying to think whom to base him on.

14. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Now imagine doing that for a universe with established lore and having to figure out which civ would use cannons at which point in the game vs magic effects and which magic effects. One simply does not appreciate the gravity of this stuff until one is too deep in to quit.

15. Sword_Of_Geddon

That is how art is done though. Often with nothing to build on you have to imagine things yourself. Its a good exercise.

16. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

17. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

Team color. There is another (original) version of the texture that is blue. You could use that one if you prefer.
    I never gotten into the magic, trolls, elves thing. I guess my suspension of disbelief ends at magic.
    Of course the force and Jedi aren't real either. :scan:

18. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

I think it's okay... As long as they are not Babylonian
    Spoiler :

Force? What force?

MightyToad likes this.
  19. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

Touche. The Q episodes are my favorite. De Lancie is such a great actor.
    If you have starships, turbo lasers, and explosions who cares.

20. Zeta Nexus

Zeta Nexus Deity

[OFF]
    I loved and hated Q at the same time :lol:
    [/OFF]