[UNIT] Mighty Ships Et Al

To the tune of Magical Mystery Tour:

The Philistine Sea Peoples are coming to take you away,
Coming to take you away
Take you today... :)

Thank you very much for these conversions MightyToad!

Beatles fan eh? :nope:

I added a barbarian art style to the unitartstyletypeinfos.xml. So, the barbarians use that galley instead. I guess they are the "sea people".

Hey Mightytoad I was wondering if Spills work on that Horned Warrior was of any use to you.

As for me, I just finished off a Muisca unit set with Spills help. I'd love to do a Mississipian(ancient-classical) and their descendants, Cherokee, Creek, Choctaw(Medieval-Renaissance(also Enlightenment in my mod). I'll work on it gradually.

Looking forward to whatever you come up with. You really have been a big help.

I'm not to the sheridan guys yet. Only just now finishing up the first philistine dude of 4.

I checked out the unit though. I don't plan to use it. Making a horned hat is relatively trivial at this point.
I never bothered with north American Indians because I was more than satisfied with the ones already done.
This is prehistory, but the sioux tribes were most likely the mount builders. At least Cahokia. The Osage claim they are descended from them.

Ancestors most likely included them, they were once forest dwelling tribes. I have read the Sioux were one of many originally from the area north of the valley of Mexico, one of the Chichimec tribes, that came north. Also Cahokia split into several mound building cities and city states, and those into the Cherokee, Creek and Choctaw. Sioux language is related to Nahautl, same family, and its known the Mound Builders had some Mayan influence. Probably by the sea trade route and land routes(they existed.). I like the look of the Choctaw, Cherokee stuff from that thing I posted. I'd like to make those as part of a greater set for them. I don't like the idea of having them reuse the Iroquois or Sioux sets. There were a lot more advanced kingdoms and societies in the Americas than you would think, most of which are forgotten or legend. Fascinating topic for me as always.

Be sure to preview what you've done so far. I'd like to see the creative process.

Last edited:
I can't really find any satisfying answers as to why North America was so much less technologically advanced compared to the Old World. It's not even a European comparison either, the Middle East and especially East Asia were way further along in improving life quality and achieving knowledge of the world around them. You would think that the pressure of being around other tribes would push groups to develop more advanced fortifications, large scale cities, and forms of written language, yet strangely only a few tribes did that. I'll never get that. North America isn't lacking in resources either... Didn't any tribe near a coast say, "I wonder what is beyond these oceans?" It's odd to me that they wouldn't try going around the ocean, like the Oceanic peoples did. I'm sure at least one person did try that in many of these groups, but maybe they were ostracized or died...

It's the same question I ask myself about why the MidEast didn't go to the New World, even when they knew about it from Europeans. Why not send colonies abroad, and spread Islam to the Native tribes? The Ottomans certainly had the finances to do that, but didn't.

I know why East Asia didn't. Korea was under siege constantly, Japan was in Sakoku, China got crushed by insular looking Qing. So that makes sense. But it doesn't for other groups.

This topic fits with Toad's ships and other stuff I suppose.

North America had advanced societies, some didn't get off the ground, like the Mississipian culture. They overtilled the soil with corn, lacking the knowledge of crop rotation. The Anasazi/Pueblo peoples were very advanced, and traded with the Valley of Mexico, but they never advanced beyond a certain point. There was the Calusa in Florida, a city state which controled a small empire in the everglades and beyond. There were many kingdoms and such recorded by Lewis and Clark, wiped out by smallpox. There was one area that were innovators. As you know, necessity is the mother of invention. If there simply isn't a need, the advancement doesn't happen. Northwest Pacific were innovators. They were warlike and competed with each other for raids. War is a good way to provide that need, or general competition.

In Mexico you had that competition. Mexica Triple Allaince had many enemies, including the Tarascans which had destroyed bronze working and had a stable empire, the most serious threat to them, but one neither they nor the Tarascans could defeat totally, it was a cold war. Though the Tarascans managed to win territory over because Tenochtitlan(which was the dominant power in the Allaince) was so unpopular villages would join the Tarascans, who would then be trained and obligated to defend it. There was also the Zapotec, Mixtec and others. The region was a huge place of potencial at that point.

In Andes, the Incans were very advanced, they had natural borders to the north with the Muisca, and the Mapuche to the south, and the rain forest tribes to the east.

Why did someone in Asia not colonize? No need or desire. Its said that China(Tang dynasty) could definitely had reached the West Coast. In West Africa you had struggle to be the successful power between the kingdoms there, other than the slave trade(which the Berber peoples like the Moors were infamaos for), there was no inclining of sailing the atlantic. Its know the Vikings did reach northern north america, but they didn't stay long.

Europe had just the right mix of competition for advancement, culture, and technology that made it possible. I imagine if China had stayed fragmented into many Kingdoms like in Europe, and the idea of the Middle Kingdom became like the idea of Rome became in Europe, that same thing would happen.

Remember too. No draft animals(Llamas in the Andes being the exception) in the New World. Animals make a huge difference. Trade allows inventions to travel around as well, and faster travel=more trade.

It's the same question I ask myself about why the MidEast didn't go to the New World, even when they knew about it from Europeans. Why not send colonies abroad, and spread Islam to the Native tribes? The Ottomans certainly had the finances to do that, but didn't.
As for the Ottomans, this video gives a very compact explanation why they never went for the new world (and also very briefly why western European nations did):
Of course, due to its length of 2 and a half minute, it does not go very deep into the subject.

Be sure to preview what you've done so far. I'd like to see the creative process.

Documenting all the steps would take all day, and require a thread of its own. But, I'll show the main thing I had to do so far.
First I rearranged the texture file to make room at the bottom to redo the torso. The one for the Goliath was trash, and because the other guys wear shirts under the armor it wasn't reusable. Also, you see the other parts were pasted over with the new texture, but with roughly the same UV layout.

Then in blender... Hide everything but the torso. Them mark a seam along the sides and under the arms.

Unwrap the normal way. Not the "from view" that I usually use.

Then, in the UV editor I mirrored one side to the other to "Fold" it in half to save UV real estate. I do that for almost everything I can.

Here is how it is looking:

I skipped the part about making the texture itself. The spearman is nearly identical. So, pretty much repeating the same process today. This has taken about 3 hours so far. Very time consuming. The blender part is a breeze in comparison.
First you copy the parts you want to use:

Then erase the parts you don't need.

Thankfully the artist did a front and back for this unit. Usually you just have to guess what the back looks like. Here is the two raw parts and the part of the sleeve.
You see here I had already started to "shop" out the knife. Also will remove the buckle. The reason is both sides will a mirror of each other.

Then after a lot of copying and pasting.

Then a ton of blending and tedious stuff... Had to remove some stuff to make room.

Here's how it looks in blender so far...

Loving this. Going to definitely try some blender and see what I can do. Move beyond just reskinning. Should let me make some badass leaderheads too :)

Philistine Civilization leaderhead will definitely be coming shortly behind these guys. Let me know if you guys have any ideas for a name.

Philistine Civilization leaderhead will definitely be coming shortly behind these guys. Let me know if you guys have any ideas for a name.

Abimelech - Wikipedia
There are several people in the Bible called this name. This is more a title (like caesar), than a personal name.
King of Gerar - probably two persons
King of Gath - Better known as Achis
(Son of Judge Gideon ;) but he was Hebrew)

Achish
Two kings of Gath had this name at least

You won't find much pics about philistine kings though
Spoiler :

and even some of them are... errm... inaccurate :lol:
Spoiler :

That second guy looks like a bad coseplay of a biker gang made by someone who has newer seen a biker gang.

Top Bottom