[UNIT] Mighty Ships Et Al

I found some images for what if ship inspiration designs. Obviously these ones are too goofy and cartoony now, but could provide inspiration for future work. :)
I like the crab claw sails. I like to use those and Tanja sails. Square and lateen sails have been done to death.

If your going to make some unique ships for a culture, it makes sense for some interesting alternatives to the usual sails to be used. Agreed Toad. What do you think of resurrecting the Curragh for Civ4 btw? Bad idea?
Not at all. I like the clipper bow of the model. Not sure how historically accurate that would be.
I've been lazy the last week and not done anything. Still have unfinished business with mesoamerica.

I will have you know many of your ships are in my mod's latest release. I played a game and the meso ships look great. Philistine civ is in the mod as well. The way I designed the civ is they have city attack automatically on all units. Cities they invade or destroy spawn more Philistine units under your control. Trying to mimic the Sea Peoples. I used the Civ5 Trireme as the Philistine's warship but also it serves as a transport. So they can attack from the sea as well. I also gave the leader an aggression level similiar to Montezuma.

I've setup one half assed civ for polynesia. I copied Shakas setting for the leader. Him and Monty never disappoint in the early eras.:spear:

polynesia... Shaka

Spoiler Can I beg an apropos? :
Kamehameha the Great.png

I’m not sure who originally designed this, but for me it’s a step in the right direction toward King Kamehameha.

(Don’t get me wrong, I really appreciate the rainbow-waterfall-wonderful world medley version, but the King George anims make him look like he’s watching soap bubbles pop in the air :cringe: sorry hope that’s not too harsh)

Please, oh please, somebody restore Kalani Paiʻea Wohi o Kaleikini Kealiʻikui Kamehameha o ʻIolani i Kaiwikapu kauʻi Ka Liholiho Kūnuiākea to his true glory :please:

Attachments

• Kamehameha (Shaka starter build).7z
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
I have the Civ 5 Kamehameha mesh sitting on the shelf. The dds files are corrupted, but Deliverator somehow did some conversions for some leader heads. Maybe Kamehameha was one of them. So, a conversation maybe possible, but I have enough on my plate ATM.

Geddon, you mention some people had guns that fired grenades. Were you talking about mesoamerica or Philistines?
I think the ancient Chinese cannon could be modified to shoot grenades relatively easily. That could be an alternative for a grenadier rather than the peltast grenade thrower.

Around the Napoloenic wars there was a type of troop called Grenadier which fired grenades from the barrel of a gun instead of throwing them. Eventually for whatever reason the idea of a bomb throwing gun was scrapped sometime after, and certain troops in europe were classified as Grenadier units, despite having nothing to do with...grenades.

The first Grenadiers sound a lot like early Grenade Launcher units. They were European.

I'm curious whatever it is your muse has settled on working on. You see how Spills gave my first Philistine LH a makeover? I reposted it.

Around the time the carronade was introduced on British ships the French had a similar weapon. Only it fired exploding shells. It was eventually abandoned because of the danger it posed to its own crew and ship.

Anyway, the ancient Chinese cannon is braced on the ground like a modern mortar. I've never actually seen it in game. If I remember correctly it uses the regular cannon effect.
This sounds much more practical than throwing, and charging with a saber.

I'm currently stalled on mesoamerican ships. Progress is slow.
I d/led most of the LH you posted Geddon. Some of the links didn't work. I was wondering why you didn't just upload them, rather than link off site.

I have the Civ 5 Kamehameha mesh sitting on the shelf. The dds files are corrupted, but Deliverator somehow did some conversions for some leader heads. Maybe Kamehameha was one of them. So, a conversation maybe possible, but I have enough on my plate ATM.

Using Ninja Ripper it is possible to extract high res DX11 from Civ V. Unfortunately I only became aware of this in 2020 after I had upload the lower res DX9 textures for all Civ V Leaders e.g. Kamehameha.

The models can be extracted into Blender 2.7 via CN6 format and then save with Legacy Mesh Format to get into Blender 2.49.

Around the time the carronade was introduced on British ships the French had a similar weapon. Only it fired exploding shells. It was eventually abandoned because of the danger it posed to its own crew and ship.

Anyway, the ancient Chinese cannon is braced on the ground like a modern mortar. I've never actually seen it in game. If I remember correctly it uses the regular cannon effect.
This sounds much more practical than throwing, and charging with a saber.

I'm currently stalled on mesoamerican ships. Progress is slow.
I d/led most of the LH you posted Geddon. Some of the links didn't work. I was wondering why you didn't just upload them, rather than link off site.

Well the Grenadier in the game is dressed for the right time period, but the execution is wrong. The grenades were fired from the gun. I believe they would then switch to normal musket-fire(One Grenade each), they would of coarse engage in melee if it came down to it.

All my LHs can be downloaded fine on my thread. That was where the links came from, but I'll double check.

I was unable to get some of them to download in the download database. So I posted a link to the download links in the description of each leaderhead in the database, Purea and Tacscoob were not working. I did try to upload, but it failed to register I had to improvise. Its not the Download button, but its close.

Last edited:
It takes a while to upload most of the time. The bottom left on your browser usually gives a percentage of the progress usually. Sometimes it gives no indication whatsoever. :confused:

Both the grenadier and rifleman are dressed for the Napoleonic period in game. By that time nobody used grenades any more as musketry had gotten good enough that it would have been suicidal. Really grenades shined in the period where they could reach out about as far as the average musket and that means the matchlock era. By the early mid 18th century once you get decent flintlocks everywhere they disappear. And from than on it's basically just really big burly guys with cool beards to scare the enemy into retreating.

So depending on how you look at it either the in game grenadier is dressed wrong and should look and be in line time vise with the musketeer unit rather than the rifleman or he is dressed and placed right in the tech tree but should have a musket.

Or you can be like me and just accept with a smile that the makers of CIV4 made the best ruling from a rule of cool perspective and be happy that they did.

Well, whether the vanilla grenadier is historically accurate, well executed, or even realistically practical isn't really the point. The Chinese army fielding guys that look like they should be guarding Buckingham palace sticks in my craw. They are decidedly European. Too European.
So, for our purposes we need an alternative unit that is a counter to the rifleman. That also uses grenades just to be consistent with the vanilla grenadier.

The Firelancer. First Gunpowder type unit in history. Would fit on the tech tree earlier than Grenadier but who says all civs have to develop the same right?

https://riseofnations.fandom.com/wiki/Heavy_Fire_Lances

The Rise of Nations incarnation basically uses the fire lance as a grenade or javelin. Firing and then picking up another.

Well, Chinese of the firelance time also used actual grenades, very much as per the actual Civ 4 grenadier unit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunder_crash_bomb

Firelances as they are commonly interpreted were more like one-shot close-range firearms (that you could later also stab with). It is quite unlikely that someone would carry more than one, as they were actually quite heavy and unwieldy, and their main use was still as a melee weapon afterwards. A somewhat accurate firelancer can be found in RI, but of course it's multi-shot due to the nature of Civ 4 animations (but then again, Civ 4 musketman also shouldn't be able to fire shot after shot as if he had a bolt-action rifle).

Top Bottom