Multi Player bugs and crashes - After the 24rd of February 2014

The performance loss is probably something that can be lived with on multi-player since there's already such tremendous gain of turn time efficiency on simultaneous turns.

Only 2 new ones since last time; identical issue in the randomlogger as in most of the OOS's we've got; AI decleare war.

Dropbox

I'll be able to address these soon I think. Thanks for the reports!

Steam recently removed the "direct IP" option from the multiplayer main menu.
Link

Is it possible to get the "join friend's game" functionality to work for C2C as it does for the vanilla game?

Without Direct IP me and my friends will have to rely on VPN as Hamachi/Comodo to play C2C multiplayer.

Link

Is it possible to get the "join friend's game" functionality to work for C2C as it does for the vanilla game?

Without Direct IP me and my friends will have to rely on VPN as Hamachi/Comodo to play C2C multiplayer.
Wow... that really sucks! I don't know the answer to your question either. I do use a noCD key so perhaps the files can be shared from one system to the next and opened with a noCD key exe...

Do not even need it pirated, just get a CD-image to install from, install and patch with BTS 3.19 as that removes the CD-requirement.
The game basically became free to play with the 3.19 patch years ago, so whyever go through Steam I will not ever understand.

Cheers

Do not even need it pirated, just get a CD-image to install from
You do realize that this usually is a contradiction.:rolleyes: I have downloaded CD images for this game probably 3-4 times cause I was too lazy to dig up my CD's though.
install and patch with BTS 3.19 as that removes the CD-requirement.
The game basically became free to play with the 3.19 patch years ago
Quite right; "Diablo 2" did the same thing too; game developers that dare this, deserves some respect.

The order in which units that are produced in the same turn are generated is not deterministic if pipeline threads are set to more than 1 (e.g. the default 4). This causes the units to end up with different ids (as those depend on the order of insertion into a players unit list) which desyncs multiplayer games.
A proper fix would be to postpone unit train processing until after the pipelining (or make some difficult adjustments to unit generation).
The simple fix is to force pipeline thread number to 1 in multiplayer games.

Without the foggiest clue how to work with multithreading, I've just established that I'll be working with 1 pipeline and have suggested others do the same. However, that is certainly a fascinating evaluation of what's causing the underlying issue. (If you end up figuring out a fix for it by all means I would be happy to post it in... I just don't know the first thing about multi-threading and avoid any subject along those lines with a 10' wide berth so I don't screw things up. Without master programmers watching over my code adjustments I'm not game to do things in areas I don't understand or even strive to learn how.)

Just got a repeatable Ctd.
Save and Minidump are attached, SVN version is 7782 and i use a dll.50civs.

If you find some time, please have a look at it.

Thanks... looking into it.

So I just realized this is the multi-player bug thread but I'll forgive the transgression ;)

Particularly since I can't fix this. There are tons of game objects and civs I don't have on my file set that were taken out of the game when I loaded it. The game passed the turn just fine under the debug evaluation. The mini shows the crash is taking place in the exe. Exe crashes like these are almost always art reference issues. This would make sense since it's most likely a problem with civilization based art on one of the civs you have running that I don't.

Sorry, after posting i also realised i chose the wrong thread.

Thanks for checking, might have to get rid of some custom civs. :(

Link

This seems to have been changed now. Direct IP got halfway reintroduced after several complaints. By entering the properties of the game in steam library you can now choose to opt into the "beta version" (old version) of Civ 4. lol

Source

Top Bottom