Multiculturalism

I'm mostly against multiculturalism. Immigrants and refugees should adapt to their new country's dominant culture, not the other way round. It just divides the population to separate groups that end up disliking each other.

Like in Canada, the most ethnically diverse country in the world?

It's good :)

I don't mind at all if people that come here keep on exercising their cultural habits, as long as they don't break our local laws.

Ultimately, multiculturality adds spice to life.

I wouldn't want to think how boring our culture would be if in the past nobody ever brought elements of their culture with them.

For the modern version, of course we should allow people to keep their culture, but to be fair, they shouldnt keep what the host culture defines as bad, as they are living in the host country and should show their agknowledge the hosts right to decide what they want going on in their nation. So while supression of women is fine in some african culture, you expect a place like britian to expect that being carried over here.

It becomes a problem when too many people of an alien culture is let in and are not assimilated, forming neighborhoods in the major cities who are more Arab than Swedish for example. To me there is a great difference between being a Turk living in Sweden and being a Swede with Turkish roots. The latter I have few problems with, the former I want to get rid of as much as possible.

AS long as we all get special days I'm for it. Now where is my atheist/white/male day/week/month?

Culture evolves. AS much as it irks me that Cinco Daymio and St Pats are celibrated for no other reason in America then to get drunk it shows that melting pots work and seperation.....seperates.

And Canada demonstrates that multiculturalism works.

Culture evolves, yes. What's to stop multiple cultures from evolving side by side one another in another ever evolving greater society?

Does that exist? Is it like China? I dont really understand if we can exhist in anthing but a multicultrual state..

France and the United States are perfect examples of unicultural societies that seek to assimilate new comers in order to integrate them.

Integration into a multicultural society does not involve assimilation.

What are your thoughts on multiculturism?

I think they should be allowed to "celebrate" their culture, but not get by rules because of them... or special treatment

Multicultrulalism is all about making reasonable accomodations so that cultures are not threatened and are allowed to prosper should they so choose.

Many of the world's leading multiculturalist scholars argue that even multiculturalism has general guiding rules and principals which should not be broken. I suggest Charles Taylor's The Limits of Toleration (the title is something like that. I may not have it exactly. It's been a while since I read it). Many people in this thread have touched on what Taylor and others outline as the limits on multiculturalism.

Multiculturalism is awesome. Except during the world cup. or anything football (european)

At that point, Little Italy declares war on everyone, the Danforth gets wild (euro 2004), bathurst (jewish) gets really crazy every WC qualifying (we missed it by ONE GOAL), Chinatown is cool, but CHinatown North (more Korean and Japanese, not really Chinese but still) gets crazy, and so does the Persian parts.

Other than that its all cool

I love Toronto during the World Cup. Are you kidding me? Since Canada never qualifies, it is great to see the flags for all the other countries on cars. Also, no matter who wins, you can drive and find a street celebration!

Multiculturalism gave us virtually everything we have. Without it we wouldn't have evolved past Ape-state (or if you are a creationist: past Adam & Eve).

MC offers us chances and triggers curiosity; the 2 basics of progress.
Do you care to elaborate on this statement? I don't see how having people of different cultures has somehow sparked progress/innovation/invention. perhaps you could give an example?

I'm mostly against multiculturalism. Immigrants and refugees should adapt to their new country's dominant culture, not the other way round. It just divides the population to separate groups that end up disliking each other.

What if our dominant culture IS multiculturalism? :eek:

People can have whatever culture they like as long as they take the consequences.

Religion, hair color, tatoos, cloths, food etc should not bother anyone. If it does, look away.

Last edited:
I think multiculturalism is great. However I beleive that cultures who are transplanted into another country should always adhere to the basic laws of the culture of said country. For example. In Port Credit Ontario, members of hte Indian community have been polluting the river with ashes and other human waste. This should NOT be allowed, regardless of religious sensitivity because that affects the environment and more importantly the drinking water of the surrounding area.

2. That's not something to be proud of. Need I remind you how many people the SS killed?

Shhh, haven't you been reading the recent threads? The estonian nazi SS stroops were good nazis, they were killing the evil russian commies (and the jews, but let's assume they were evil commie jews).
:sarcasm:

People can have whatever culture they like as long as they take the consequences. If a South American would show up two hours late for work everyday in Finland for example he should be fired.

Religion, hair color, tatoos, cloths, food etc should not bother anyone. If it does, look away.

The problem is, it can and does bother other people. And that has consequences like you said, the most obvious of which is wanting any "undesirables" to go away somewhere else.

Multiculturalism is not, in principle, bad, but there are some "cultures" I wouldn't want around. Like the plague of romanian gypsy beggars that has landed on my city recently... people enterprising enough to cross half of Europe, only to beg and occasionally steal and traffic on another country!

The problem is, it can and does bother other people. And that has consequences like you said, the most obvious of which is wanting any "undesirables" to go away somewhere else.

Multiculturalism is not, in principle, bad, but there are some "cultures" I wouldn't want around. Like the plague of romanian gypsy beggars that has landed on my city recently... people enterprising enough to cross half of Europe, only to beg and occasionally steal and traffic on another country!

EVERYONE that I know that comes from Eastern Europe has some kind of bone to pick with the gypsies. I've never met a gypsie in my life, can someone explain gypsie culture and why everyone seems to have a problem with them?

because they are different.

also, I love the world cup vibe, but hate the violence. I saw a french fan get mobbed in woodbridge right before the finals.

Multiculturalism is fine, as long as it doesn't become fascist.

EVERYONE that I know that comes from Eastern Europe has some kind of bone to pick with the gypsies. I've never met a gypsie in my life, can someone explain gypsie culture and why everyone seems to have a problem with them?

Well, judging from what I've seen recently I could understand them. We've always had gypsies on my country too, and some 30 years ago they wouldn't be much different from those eastern european ones I've met. They actually liked living apart from the rest of society, actively resisting all those written and unwritten social rules, and made money however they could, regardless of the law.

But most of them have evolved past that. And now some who apparently haven't are arriving from some hellhole thousands of kilometers away. It's not (yet, that takes some time to know the new environment) that they are criminals on the common sense, it's that they have abject behaviours, and that of their own free will. Like going around begging while dragging (sometimes literally) some grimy two year old children with them, supposedly as an incentive to charity! And they won't live any other way! The police doesn’t know what to do with them, they are expelled from the country only to return, and soon enough they too will be able to move freely over the EU. We didn't create that problem but we get saddled with it. Obviously most people here don’t have a good appreciation of that kind of multiculturalism.

Top Bottom