My game on Immortal III - Ramesses II

Edit: If there's one thing that really grates on me in civ iv, it's that units will suicide without being given orders to do so; players should NOT be punished for using in-game features like waypoints and worker automation by having those things DELIBERATELY MOVE UNITS ADJACENT TO ENEMY UNITS IN PLAIN SIGHT.

This has always god damned pissed me off too, and is another reason I try to avoid it. But then you have to do a million more clicks, which really sucks for time.

IIRC, the was (and probably still is?) a bug where if you set a waypoint, and finish roading right after, the units dont' take advantage of all the roads/connections you made, and instead take the insanely long route to the target. So you have to keep re-setting the waypoints regardless.

I haven't used waypoints for my scouting boats in ages now, do they adjust properly when you open borders? Of course, I'm sure they'll march right into a barb ship instead of pausing and bringing attention to user.

I haven't used waypoints for my scouting boats in ages now, do they adjust properly when you open borders?

Pretty sure they will as long as they're produced after you open borders

I'm sure they'll march right into a barb ship instead of pausing and bringing attention to user.

This, on the other hand, I can guarantee, since produced boats with waypoints such as transports have no issue moving adjacent to destroyers belonging to civs you're currently fighting.

Depending on how quickly you end the turn, they might even do this while DELIBERATELY IGNORING YOUR EFFORTS TO STOP IT. Actually workers do that also. I usually just worldbuilder my worker back if the game cheats to kill it.

Oh that's smart, I usually reload when something idiotic like that happens. Worldbuilder definitely faster.

Heres my 1AD
Spoiler :

I went AH-mining-BW pigs-gems-corn chop 2nd worker then settlers. Saw 4 good hammer sites and decided on a late WC rush. Went straight to priesthood put a hammer in the oracle to hopefully delay it being taken. Ended up getting oracle - CoL the turn before this screenshot. The backup plan was to bulb Theology to get the AP and a religion on the continent. Waited until now to settle the two eastern sites otherwise I'd have never gotten writing in as the only commerce is coming from the capital.

Theology went at 300 BC, so I bulbed it anyway and rushed the AP in the capital from 250 BC. Just picked up the AP and am spamming temples/monasteries. I'll switch to caste next time I play because I'm now in Rep after taking the pyramids from China - should be a pretty good bpt at that time and I just whipped a galley to go finish off China's last city.

China got screwed with this start, capital was bad and I have no idea what he was doing all this time because he only had 4 cities at pop 5 each no happy no metals. Even with stone the pyramids had to have taken quite awhile with the capital hammers.

lol -31 gpt @ 0% science, you have ten turns to get cracking on some cottages =p

lol -31 gpt @ 0% science, you have ten turns to get cracking on some cottages =p

right now i don't remember the exact number of the game, but in one of SE (Snack Economy) series AbsoluteZero striked for like 50 turns on unimproved tiles after getting the whole starting continent.

2400 BC - 1760 BC
Spoiler :

Research went: finish fishing -> pottery -> writing. Very fast with the gems :).
Spoiler :

I worked only the horse tile in my second city and built barracks -> war chariots.
Spoiler :

I can't see any copper in Alex's land.
Spoiler :

At this moment, I have 4 war chariots and some more will be ready soon. It's a pity that I lost 2 workerturns by withdrawing a worker from the copper tile due to a barbarian unit.
Spoiler :

My cities.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Deity player BC-1760.CivBeyondSwordSave
    89.8 KB · Views: 32
So the main questions are:

1. How many war chariots do I need in the initial stack to attack? I guess 6 should be enough if I don't find any copper in Alex's land? (I opened borders with Alex on the last turn so I can look for it now.)
2. I intend to attack Alex's capital first. Are there any alternative war plans?
3. What should I do with the food surplus in my capital? Whip more war chariots? Whip a library?
4. What to research next? I don't think I need alphabet since I plan to kill Alex and I haven't met any more AIs. So Mao is the only possible trade partner now. So maybe math -> currency?

I'd expect at least 4 archers in any city that you can't hit the first turn of the war. So 10 war chariots. You have no source of commerce after the war so I'd go after alphabet and whip a settler after you know you have Alex. You'll want the gold and hammers for research.

Wow, I am learnig a lot be reading you
Maybe i think that currency is a good option to research for economy or CoL, and later go to destroy Mao and have a very peaceful growing

I'd expect at least 4 archers in any city that you can't hit the first turn of the war. So 10 war chariots. You have no source of commerce after the war so I'd go after alphabet and whip a settler after you know you have Alex. You'll want the gold and hammers for research.

I have already played the next turnset. I waited for ~10 war chariots but started the war a little sooner since I realized that Alex has iron and wanted to pillage it. And I didn't go for alpha but for math. The details will come soon.

Wow, I am learnig a lot be reading you
Maybe i think that currency is a god option to research for economy or CoL, and later go to destroy Mao and have a very peaceful growing

Thanks! But there are many players on these forums who are MUCH better that me so don't learn too much from my games ;).

1760 BC - 950 BC
Spoiler :

I researched math since there were many trees to cut + it is a faster route to currency. After researching it, my economy was really bad and I had to stop my research altogether until the end of this turnset. This is where alpha would come handy. But I beleive that my scientists will also do a fair job in the near future.

I started to be a little nervous when I saw the 6H + 1C mine in Alex's land. This means that he has iron :mad:.
Spoiler :

So I declared on him immediately to destroy that mine. I had only 5 war chariots in the main stack but some more were coming. The mine with iron was destroyed on the next turn but Alex managed to whip a spear and a phalanx :mad:.
Spoiler :

On the turn 61, I only destroyed the mine and moved my war chariots towards Alex's capital.
Spoiler :

On the turn 62, I attacked Alex's capital (1 spearman + 2 archers) with 8 war chariots. 5 of them died and the rest survived and captured the city :).
Spoiler :

Then one of my war chariots killed the phalanx on defense! (However, he died to an archer on the same turn.)
Spoiler :

And this is Alex's counterattack of 3 archers :lol:.
Spoiler :

From that point, it was easy.
Spoiler :

I finished math and also revolted to slavery.
Spoiler :

I had some difficulties with locating Alex's last city.
Spoiler :

This was the only one I razed since it was not in an ideal location and would cost me many workerturns.
Spoiler :

This is Alex's counterattack before capturing his last city. Those 2 archers stayed fortified in the forest for the whole war :lol:.
Spoiler :

This is the conquered land.
Spoiler :

The result of the war: 7 cities + 8 workers + more land to settle :).

Attachments

• Deity player BC-0950.CivBeyondSwordSave
    126 KB · Views: 28
right now i don't remember the exact number of the game, but in one of SE (Snack Economy) series AbsoluteZero striked for like 50 turns on unimproved tiles after getting the whole starting continent.
I've done that once, it was an eye opener because I'd always been so afraid of running out of money.

really? don't you start losing 1 unit / turn at random? And that includes workers!

deity - don't forget to explore. It'd be nice to know what is to your north. And thats some nice land huh? :)

Top Bottom