1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Never Before Seen Civs - Elimination Game

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by The Kingmaker, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Homusubi

Homusubi Nanshoku no Kata

This isn't a vote, but the last two voters used the wrong numbers. Taking the last few votes into account, this is the current real table... and the Hebrews are in trouble:

Armenians 14
    Ashanti 24
    Burmese 25
    Hebrews 4
    Nubians 15
    Phoenicians 25
    Swahili/Kilwa 21
    Tibetans 24
    Vietnamese 19
    Zimbabweans 11

2. Orange1861

Orange1861 Chieftain

Armenians 14
    Ashanti 24
    Burmese 25
    Hebrews 1 (4 - 3) Least interesting in this list.
    Nubians 15
    Phoenicians 26 (25 + 1) These guys gotta to win!
    Swahili/Kilwa 21
    Tibetans 24
    Vietnamese 19
    Zimbabweans 11

3. Liufeng

Liufeng A man of his time

Armenians 14 + 1 = 15 It's european so it should be eliminated ? Armenia is more asian or at least near eastern than european ! And it's one impressive ancient civ that managed to survive up to this date ! It deserves to be in the game, far more than some actual playable civs (those who know me probably know what I'm talking about)
    Ashanti 24
    Burmese 25
    Hebrews 1 - 3 = -2 Eliminated Sorry, but among those that remain, I'm really not fond on them
    Nubians 15
    Phoenicians 26
    Swahili/Kilwa 21
    Tibetans 24
    Vietnamese 19
    Zimbabweans 11

Zaarin likes this.
  4. Xandinho

Xandinho Chieftain

Armenians 15
    Ashanti 24
    Burmese 25
    Nubians 15
    Phoenicians 26
    Swahili/Kilwa 21 - 3 = 18 The choices were narrow and difficult. So I voted in that one that does not interest me so much in this list compared to the other options.
    Tibetans 24
    Vietnamese 19 + 1 = 20 With the Hebrews eliminated, I have been divided between Ashanti and Vietnam, since I have already cast a vote for Ashanti, I feel inclined towards Vietnam. Since it's a civ that interests me as much as the african civ
    Zimbabweans 11.

5. The Kingmaker

The Kingmaker Alexander

Armenians 15
    Ashanti 24
    Burmese 25
    Nubians 15+1=16
    Phoenicians 26
    Swahili/Kilwa 18
    Tibetans 24
    Vietnamese 20
    Zimbabweans 11-3=8

Feeling kind of lost now that the Hebrews are gone. Bolstering Nubia because we have plenty of material to use to implement them, while Zimbabwe would be more challenging.

Morningcalm, Zaarin and nzcamel like this.
  6. DaPikaGTM

DaPikaGTM Chieftain

Armenians 15+1=16 I've mentioned my reasons for them before.
    Ashanti 24
    Burmese 25
    Nubians 16
    Phoenicians 26
    Swahili/Kilwa 18
    Tibetans 24
    Vietnamese 20
    Zimbabweans 8-3=5 Interests me the least out of the remaining choices.

7. Xefjord

Xefjord Chieftain

Armenians 16
    Ashanti 24
    Burmese 25
    Nubians 16-3=13 Kind of inbetween Egypt and Ethiopa (The latter I think will be added). I would rather see an african civ somewhere else
    Phoenicians 26
    Swahili/Kilwa 18
    Tibetans 24
    Vietnamese 20+1=21 I really like the cultures of the Sinosphere and think that Vietnam has a beautiful & underrated history and culture. I think its a pick that is well known enough for a less dedicated history nut to know (I don't think the average person knows what a Phoenician or Nubian is)
    Zimbabweans 5

8. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Chieftain

Amrunril downvoted both Ashanti (27-3 - 24) and Nubians (17-3) on the earlier page. You can only downvote one civ right?

Armenians 16 - 3 = 13 (Least interesting of the remaining. Perhaps because of its stronger European ties. Armenia may be in the Middle East in a manner similar to Turkey or other frontier states, but Armenia's historical ties to Europe are undeniable and long-set. Also, I have not seen great arguments recently in this thread as to why Armenian history/leaders etc are interesting. Instead, all conversation has turned on acting with hostility to me after I stated that as a matter of fact Armenia is European. This also encourages me to downvote this civ, though my reasons are mainly historical (As I mentioned earlier, Turkey is also European and Asian both, which is why between Ottomans and almost any African/Southeast Asian civ I would choose the African/Southeast Asian civ every time).

Ashanti 24 + 1 =25 (Yay for the Golden Stool! One of the most interesting African civs ever (not just because they used gunpowder armaments, by the way), and like the Palmyrene Empire, the Ashanti Empire was possessed of an amazing female warrior queen in Yaa Asantewaa, who fiercely fought colonial influence. As Wikipedia states: "Yaa Asantewaa was chosen by a number of regional Asante kings to be the war-leader of the Asante fighting force. This is the first and only example for a women to be given that role in Asante history." As far as portrayals in the game would go, we actually have an undated photo of Yaa Asantewaa, so that should help things considerably).
    Burmese 25
    Nubians 13
    Phoenicians 26
    Swahili/Kilwa 18
    Tibetans 24
    Vietnamese 21
    Zimbabweans 5

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    altayrneto likes this.
  9. Mobfire

Mobfire Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool

The Ashanti downvote was from my post that he forgot to erase, so the totals should be fine.

10. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue

Armenians 13
    Ashanti 25
    Burmese 25
    Nubians (13+1)=14 Interesting female leader choices, my favorite is Amanirenas, it could be a Civ representing both ancient Nubia (Kush) and Christian Nubia (Makuria, Alodia, Nobatia)
    Phoenicians (26-3)=23 I'm been looking at their known kings, don't really find any of them interesting, I would also not have Phoenician civ with Carthaginian aspects...
    Swahili/Kilwa 18
    Tibetans 24
    Vietnamese 21
    Zimbabweans 5

Morningcalm likes this.
  11. nzcamel

nzcamel Chieftain

I look forward of to your condemnation of 'another Euro civ' when the Ottomans are added! :lol:
    European my big blue eyes. Turkey IS Asia minor for goodness sake.

The only country that is genuinely both (no matter what organization any of these countries belong to) is Russia, as it spans both continents. Yet to most people Russia is politically a European country as the bulk of its population lives there with a much smaller population scattered over Asia.

SMcM and Zaarin like this.
  12. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Chieftain

Sure! Happy to oblige! :mischief:

Your definition of "genuinely both" fails to acknowledge that many states are in both Europe and Asia. I also don't know who the "most people" you refer to are. Is there an objective standard by which we can call Russia more politically European than Asian?

13. DudewiththeFood

DudewiththeFood Chieftain

Tigranes ticks the boxes for a strong character and leader; there's the playing off of Roman and Persian empires for centuries and being a Medieval bastion for Christianity during Islamic domination. There's also Armenia's historical and long-set ties to Persia and the rest of the Middle East that at least equally important to their history. After all, their Christianity didn't come from Constantinople or Rome. However, if it's geographic location that's your biggest factor I can't make much of argument

Armenians 14

Ashanti 25
    Burmese 25
    Nubians 14
    Phoenicians 23
    Swahili/Kilwa 18
    Tibetans 24
    Vietnamese 18 - Not interested at all. Wouldn't mind another south-east Asian civ instead.

Zimbabweans 5

nzcamel likes this.
  14. Zaarin

Zaarin Chieftain

Armenians 15 (14 + 1) -- First, Armenia has always been a Near Eastern state. Second, even if we hypothetically call it European, I'm not sure why that should matter; we have exactly 0 civilizations from the Caucasus. In a TSL game, its closest neighbor would be Persia and it would be nowhere near Russia. As for what makes the civ interesting: it has an ancient and continuous culture--far more so than most civilizations on this list can claim. It was the world's first Christian nation. It would be the only Oriental Orthodox civilization on the list of civs. Unlike the marginalized Christian populations in most of the Near East, Armenia managed to maintain its Christian heritage even in the face of brutal persecution and genocide after conquest by multiple Muslim empires, including Persia (as well as Zoroastrian Sassanid Persia) and more recently the Ottomans. Also, I'm not sure what "ancient connections to Europe" you're talking about; despite modern ties to Europe (which makes sense in light of its present religious isolation), in ancient times its closest ties are clearly to Anatolia, Persia, and Mesopotamia (NB: the Armenians almost certainly originated in Anatolia). They are also among the earliest producers of wine and a strong candidate for the origin of apricots, and they have a unique religious, cultural, linguistic, and artistic heritage that's worth exploring. What's more, they have several leaders who definitely tick the big personality box, like Tigranes the Great and Tiridates I.
    Ashanti 25
    Burmese 25
    Nubians 14
    Phoenicians 23
    Swahili/Kilwa 18
    Tibetans 24
    Vietnamese 18
    Zimbabweans 2 (5 - 3) -- They're not really viable as a civ.

nzcamel likes this.
  15. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

Armenians 15
    Ashanti 25
    Burmese 25
    Nubians 14
    Phoenicians 23
    Swahili/Kilwa 19 (18 + 1) Since Zimbabwe is doomed I'll throw my lot in with Kilwa, which is really cool.
    Tibetans 24
    Vietnamese 15 (18 - 3) Round about way for voting for Burma: a much better candidate for SEA
    Zimbabweans 2

nzcamel likes this.
  16. Dirk Hartog

Dirk Hartog Chieftain

Armenians 15-3=12 Same as before
    Ashanti 25
    Burmese 25
    Nubians 14
    Phoenicians 23
    Swahili/Kilwa 19
    Tibetans 24+1=25 Same as before
    Vietnamese 15
    Zimbabweans 2

17. Manifold

Manifold ModderProtectionAdvocate

Armenians 9 (12-3) This is for Shaka:D
    Ashanti 25
    Burmese 25
    Nubians 14
    Phoenicians 24 (23+1) They sacrificed people (children) - like Shaka;)
    Swahili/Kilwa 19
    Tibetans 25
    Vietnamese 15
    Zimbabweans 2

18. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Armenians 9
    Ashanti 25
    Burmese 25
    Nubians 14
    Phoenicians 24 + 1 = 25; as I said numerous times, great trading civ and invented what would later become the alphabet
    Swahili/Kilwa 19
    Tibetans 25
    Vietnamese 15
    Zimbabweans 2 - 3 = ELIMINATED; not much is known about pre-colonial Zimbabwe aside from the Great Zimbabwe; even then, Zimbabwe would make a great city-state instead

nzcamel likes this.
  19. Mobfire

Mobfire Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool

Armenians 10 (9 + 1) I will admit, I didn't know much about them before, but the debate about them has piqued my curiosity enough that I'll spend a vote to delay their demise.
    Ashanti 25
    Burmese 25
    Nubians 14
    Phoenicians 22 (25 - 3) Personally, I believe the Phoenicians are better off as city states. There would also be overlap with Carthage. I like them, but not as much as some of the others on this list.
    Swahili/Kilwa 19
    Tibetans 25
    Vietnamese 15

Zaarin likes this.
  20. altayrneto

altayrneto Chieftain

Armenians 10
    Ashanti 26 (25+1) Morningcalm's reason seens enough to me
    Burmese 25
    Nubians 14
    Phoenicians 22
    Swahili/Kilwa 19
    Tibetans 22 (25-3) I would love to see then, but saddly, Tibet is an unfesible civ. (Having troubles with the chinese market, even more with so many other options of civs, is something that companies avoid). Like with an Israel civ, or the Pueblo, I think would be better to hope for other civs...
    Vietnamese 15