1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

New Beta Version - February 18th (2-18)

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Gazebo, Feb 19, 2020.

1. zeofig

zeofig Chieftain

I like the low-CS archers. Making them 1 range made them too useless so it's a good compromise. They are still pretty good units imo.

Rhys DeAnno and JamesNinelives like this.
  2. kenneth1221

kenneth1221 Warlord

Honestly I still kind of want to see how 2-range 1-move archers with decent CS work.

On the other hand, it's a bad sign when you get too emotionally invested in a video game. It's a worse sign when you get overly invested in a mod for a video game that you're not really contributing to. An even worse sign of all is when you start visibly getting emotionally invested in a mod for a video game three days after your apparent discovery of it. But the most ironic part of this whole little flame war is getting very very angry because of the happiness system.

...honestly I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often, but... it might be time to add a "you take responsibility" disclaimer to every beta link. You know, the general:

Spoiler :

Vox Populi is a work in progress. By downloading, you acknowledge your awareness of this fact and that some systems may be incomplete and accept the risks of downloading this software. In no event shall the authors of this software be responsible for any damages, liabilities, or emotional harms.

EDIT: also, another funny observation. In one post, the guy asks how to evaluate a beta without rules. The very next post is a guy doing exactly that.

Hinin, Maxxim69, vyyt and 3 others like this.
  3. FoxOfWar

FoxOfWar Prince

...I think I am just going to add here that while I haven't gotten to test this beta yet (previous game underway, natch), I really appreciate a ton what all of you modder-people are doing. I have no ability in that department (I'm a decent writer and cartoon artist, but coding might as well be an alien language). I'd have quit Civ V like five thousand hours played* ago if it weren't for this mod and it's various modmods.

(*Admittedly, some of those hours are having Civ on while I cook or write rp on my other computer, but that's not the point.)

Curious about the difficulty bump, as I've just about gotten competent at Emperor. Not that I really mind if I have to go down a difficulty. Odds are y'all will find the right place with it sooner or later, given the general pace of balance conversation around here. (Which I also appreciate since I'm a doof at that usually.)

Keep going, y'all. :)

Hinin, burleigh, vyyt and 7 others like this.
  4. andersw

andersw King

From the little I've been able to test AI gains a very big boost on settling capitals which means, dont expect to get stonehenge or pyramids on emperor+, doable with good start and tradition but far from how it was before.
    I will probably grab the optional file posted in this thread which removed this initial boost, it really pumps the AI.
    AI can also get the first couple of policys VERY fast.

JamesNinelives likes this.
  5. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch Supporter

For experiment's sake I'm sharing a new DLL for this version with a 2/3 reduction of bonuses for capital founding, and a 1/2 reduction for all future city founding. I'll be interested to get Deity feedback on <100 turn behavior.

Edit: also, reminder, you can see all handicaps and handicap info in the log 'DifficultyHandicapLog.csv'
    G

Attached Files:

6. Acaerus

Acaerus Chieftain

First game - 100% crash to desktop on pressing "next turn". I don`t know if it possible to understand what`s the problem from a save file, i`l add it just in case.

Attached Files:

7. Kim Dong Un

Kim Dong Un The One & Unly Supporter

Lmao

Chill with the rules, O'Doyle...

Heinz_Guderian likes this.
  8. 4CV

4CV Warlord

Shouldn't pioneers be more expensive than settlers, for the same reason? (Tech tree says 125-125-250p now)

9. Gazebo

Tech tree gives the 'base' value, not the actual value.

G

10. Gazebo

I just loaded your save and ran it, encountered no crash...

11. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Many of my hours playing civ are me reloading starts to get the colours I like lol (distinct orange/green constract between grassland and plains).
    I like them too.

I'm intrigued by what they would be like if the CS and RCS were swapped tbh. I remember being one-hit by horses was an issue at one point. 5CS would make them tougher but with 4RCS they wouldn't hit as strong which makes sense for early-era units IMO.

12. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

Just want to say the new tribute system is a big improvement. I started next to two cultural CS and took authority. In the previous system tributing them would have given me like 400 culture by now (my total culture to date is around 800). Instead I got about 100, far more balanced.

You still get CS that go orange when they'll give up 0, sometimes -1 (I tried clicking and you don't actually lose gold). They should get a base reluctance of like 10%, and the empire proximity thing is probably unecessary.

vuko, BiteInTheMark, crdvis16 and 2 others like this.
  13. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

Just a quick note on archers... they seem a bit lame at defending against early-game barbarians tbh XD. Like, I'm thinking I should have built a second warrior and saved myself some hammers. That's not to say they're not useful! Archers are nice with support. I'm sending my single warrior and one archer to whittle down a nearby barb camp.

I left my second archer to defend though, and I think in a 1-on-1 though, an archer would probably loose to a barbarian brute on flat terrain. I think I'm going to win by defending on rough terrain, but not by much. Whereas if I had a warrior at home defending he could tank against 2 barb brutes quite happily. Seems odd to me as I've always thought of archers as being more defensive given they are on the top half of the tech tree. I would be happy to see archers even go up to 5/5 myself for this reason. I might regret saying this, but the 1-range archer was actually better for my playstyle (I support 2-range archers though).

Spoiler Home Alone :
    20200220163706_1.jpg

I'm playing the version of this beta where the AI gets no bonuses on founding their capital (on a lower difficulty) and it seems great so far. Gandhi actually took Earth Mother which I consider to be one of the stronger pantheons at the moment (and a solid choice for India). Will report back later.

Edit: oh, another note: I'm a little annoyed that my city just will not expand to that Amber luxury on it's own. It's only 2 tiles away but it prefers flat grassland to a luxury on a hill by a fair margin. I ended up purchasing it for 90 gold and honestly I wish I'd done it sooner.

Spoiler Not popular :
    20200220153712_1.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    Heinz_Guderian and Maxxim69 like this.
  14. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

It's because it's across a river.

Erikose, cerk, Maxxim69 and 1 other person like this.
  15. azum4roll

azum4roll King

Gandhi taking Earth Mother is weird. There could be no mining resources around him at all, so all he's guaranteed to get is the +1 :c5culture: per 3 :c5citizen:.

16. Balint2

Balint2 Chieftain

Gandhis UA is he founds a pantheon at turn 1, so when he has no vision around him.

17. JamesNinelives

JamesNinelives Emperor

You mean +1:c5production: per 2 :c5citizen:? It sounds good to me.

Edit: I just checked and he has a silk monopoly in mixed jungle/forest though lol. There is a gold lux sort of nearby I guess.
    Hmm OK.

18. Hosannah

Hosannah Chieftain

Every once in a while someone like you shows up, feeling really entitled to be deserving of a AAA product for free, making demands and being impolite and disrespectful.

The answer to you and all the others like you is and always will be the same: Nobody is forcing you to play this, if you don’t like it, just leave. Nobody wants or needs you here when you behave like that.

19. CrazyG

CrazyG Deity

How does flanking work? I know its been changed a lot but I'm noticing something.

Songhai's UU gets +150% flanking bonus on the raider promotion.
    Shock gets 5% flanking bonus as part of the promotion.

So either the Songhai one is crazy OP, or Shock's aspect is pretty irrelevant, right? Playing as Songhai, with 4 flanks I can deal 52 damage to a danish horseman, up from like 28 without flanking.

vyyt likes this.
  20. azum4roll

azum4roll King

Wording issue. Raider gives +20% flanking bonus, can use enemy roads and 50% city plunder.