New Beta Version - November 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.
What version are you playing on? It doesn’t look like Panama City is suffering from the silly tactical/builder AI.
@4CV...
It is Nov 8th without the latest DLL replacement.
It takes 8 turns to send troops over the ocean, and 10 turns around the mountains to the north or around Byzanz to the south.
Spoiler or... :
4.jpg

I'd say that a CS should probably be more defensive than major civs, though, given how they typically only have one city and are thus easy to wipe out once their relatively small army is lost on a risky offensive.
While this is true, they should still be aggressive enough to capitalize on taking neighboring cities/CS if left on the brink of conquer. Many moons ago, I squawked at Zebo because I was leaving cities at 1HP for my nearby CS allies, but they were so inefficient and reluctant to capture those cities. Allied CS should ideally err on the side of caution, but still utilize nearby units to fight and expand their territory if it's overwhelmingly advantageous in their favour. The CS AI has since improved slightly in this regard, but hopefully they're even more sensible and in tune with their surroundings after these upcoming changes.

I've only ever seen one instance where a CS had 3+ cities, and I think it'd be fun to have those situations occur a bit more frequently. Just having better CS AI support during wars is already a bonus though, so I'm stoked for the next version!

Regarding the diplomatic penalty for stealing land, does it apply to civs you’re at war with? I feel like planting citadels should be a legitimate wartime tactic, and a civ shouldn’t hold a grudge for that after the war is ended.
EDIT: Penalty for stealing territory removed for players who are at war with each other, and going to war with a player now removes the penalty (doesn't matter who declared).
Hm? Maybe I shouldn't be saying anything after not playing for so long, but this sounds wrong to me. It's still lost territory so what's the deal with no penalty? "So I'm keeping that luxury you once had a monopoly over but hey that was a totally legit tactic, you feel me? Let bygones be bygones."

Edit:
Ah, it really has been too long since I last played. Read more closely and noticed the bit on city capture not having permanent penalties while this does.

Last edited:
While this is true, they should still be aggressive enough to capitalize on taking neighboring cities/CS if left on the brink of conquer. Many moons ago, I squawked at Zebo because I was leaving cities at 1HP for my nearby CS allies, but they were so inefficient and reluctant to capture those cities. Allied CS should ideally err on the side of caution, but still utilize nearby units to fight and expand their territory if it's overwhelmingly advantageous in their favour. The CS AI has since improved slightly in this regard, but hopefully they're even more sensible and in tune with their surroundings after these upcoming changes.

I've only ever seen one instance where a CS had 3+ cities, and I think it'd be fun to have those situations occur a bit more frequently. Just having better CS AI support during wars is already a bonus though, so I'm stoked for the next version!

Holy horsehocky I've never seen that. Gotta try that out.

It is Nov 8th without the latest DLL replacement.
It takes 8 turns to send troops over the ocean, and 10 turns around the mountains to the north or around Byzanz to the south.
Spoiler or... :
I took that shortcut and DOWed Byzanz, then I noticed they had a DP with Arabia. So it was 3 vs 3 ...
Spoiler But next turn :

The Mongols asked for peace and accepted vassalage, now Mongol and Panama troops chase cataphracts. Happy together... THE END
6.jpg

:)

I'm not sure the AI is slacking off on city conquests. Just finished my game as Japan on prince, epic and I found Sweden had conquered Marseille, Lyon from france, 1 city from Assyria and 1 CS and was really close to capturing 2 of my vassal's cities which i defended just in time. Greece managed to conquer 3 cities and 1CS. Assyria managed to get to Orleans which I sniped. All of them went authority if that matters. This was on prince difficulty and I assume it gets better at higher difficulties.

Spoiler :

Sid Meier's Civilization V (DX11) 11_22_2019 6_57_47 AM.png

please report your observations, in particular on AI city capture prowess, diplo behavior and idle units.

100 turns in a standard deity pangea: no AI wars, DoF everywhere. I have had 0 military for a while and am friend of 3 AIs, even after I have been competing for wonders with one of them, there's another block of 3 AIs and then lone Carthage score leader.
My closest neighbour Authority Hiawatha prefers to attack 6 tiles away Brussel that has walls up rather than my wall-less forward expansion 7 tiles away from his capitol, looks like he's about to finish the job and won't accept peace after I allied the CS. He could have moved the bulk of his forces in position some turns earlier though: he has been at war with the CS for approx 50 turns, and he entered Classical through Iron Working 27 turns ago.

Last edited:
There might be a merge error in the latest experimental build for certain military operation/targeting changes, I've reported this to ilteroi.

Not 100% certain there is one, though.

100 turns in a standard deity pangea: no AI wars, DoF everywhere. I have had 0 military for a while and am friend of 3 AIs, even after I have been competing for wonders with one of them, there's another block of 3 AIs and then lone Carthage score leader.
My closest neighbour Authority Hiawatha prefers to attack 6 tiles away Brussel that has walls up rather than my wall-less forward expansion 7 tiles away from his capitol, looks like he's about to finish the job and won't accept peace after I allied the CS. He could have moved the bulk of his forces in position some turns earlier though: he has been at war with the CS for approx 50 turns, and he entered Classical through Iron Working 27 turns ago.

Too many early game DoFs again? I think I know the cause - will fix.

This at least shows the AI isn't keen on backstabbing anymore, and they're able to target City-States more often. :)

EDIT: Fixed and pushed to Github.

Last edited:
For the record, I hate AIs conquering city states. They should go after each other, not pick on the helpless CS. :cry:

Time to start a game on 11/23.

There might be a merge error in the latest experimental build for certain military operation/targeting changes, I've reported this to ilteroi.

Not 100% certain there is one, though.

Too many early game DoFs again? I think I know the cause - will fix.

This at least shows the AI isn't keen on backstabbing anymore, and they're able to target City-States more often. :)

EDIT: Fixed and pushed to Github.
Any way to download the hotfix? Will it be save-game compatible?

Any way to download the hotfix? Will it be save-game compatible?

Not sure if savegame compatible (I'd err on "no"). If you want an updated build with the hotfix, you'd need to contact @ilteroi.

Works perfectly for me. You need to install ilteroi's 11/23 first.
More specifically you need to extract the archive to the "(1) Community Patch" folder.

At this point, the instructions have gotten incredibly convoluted. Here are the instructions from a clean install of 11/8 beta.

Files needed: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wQ1DOxRNjzlKvs7rV9O37rcniUrrTsZp

Likely directory for steps:
C:\Users\YourUsernameHere\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5

1. Delete the "cache" folder
2. Put DLL in "(1) Community Patch"
3. Extract "Core_Files.zip" to "(1) Community Patch". Override any existing files. If you neglect this step the game will crash to desktop from the mod menu.

OPTIONAL:

- Put WonderChanges.sql in "(2) Community Balance Overhaul\Balance Changes\Wonders" to fix Terracotta Army bug. Still provides unit duplication in 11/8.
- Put MountedUnits.sql in "(2) Community Balance Overhaul\Balance Changes\Units" for 5 movement Light Tanks. Was 4 movement in 11/8.

Last edited:
More specifically you need to extract the archive to the "(1) Community Patch" folder.

At this point, the instructions have gotten incredibly convoluted. Here are the instructions from a clean install of 11/8 beta.

Files needed: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wQ1DOxRNjzlKvs7rV9O37rcniUrrTsZp

Likely directory for steps:
C:\Users\YourUsernameHere\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5

1. Delete the "cache" folder
2. Put DLL in "(1) Community Patch"
3. Extract "Core_Files.zip" to "(1) Community Patch". Override any existing files.

OPTIONAL:

- Put WonderChanges.sql in "(2) Community Balance Overhaul\Balance Changes\Wonders" to fix Terracotta Army bug.
- Put MountedUnits.sql in "(2) Community Balance Overhaul\Balance Changes\Units" for 5 movement Light Tanks.

I think people will be happy when the next release happens. :lol:

Also, if you have the very latest build (from ASCII Guy) I'd be happy to hear your feedback on how diplo AI/etc. are behaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom