New Beta Version - October 10th (10/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is quite bad. I got in on the ground floor when they said that STEM degrees were flooded and liberal arts were the way to go...12 years later ABD hits, and the market is at a historical low. Too far along to stop then...
G

Humbly, if I may... that right there was your mistake, if any. STEM degrees will never be "flooded" (well, the M maybe)... you have proven here that your soul and brain is really a STEM brain. You should have gone for that; I did. Never regretted. I am also pushing my two "littles" for it, so far I succeeded with the girl who just started in Molecular Biology/Computing Science double major undergrad and already thinking MSc/PhD (and aiming at the great USofA by the way...:thumbsup:)... the boy is another story, but I am still pushing... that's what "un-cool" parents do; push for the best of them, even with tough love.

Bottom line is, STEM will never die unless the species dies.

Humbly, if I may... that right there was your mistake, if any. STEM degrees will never be "flooded" (well, the M maybe)... you have proven here that your soul and brain is really a STEM brain. You should have gone for that; I did. Never regretted. I am also pushing my two "littles" for it, so far I succeeded with the girl who just started in Molecular Biology/Computing Science double major undergrad and already thinking MSc/PhD (and aiming at the great USofA by the way...:thumbsup:)... the boy is another story, but I am still pushing... that's what "un-cool" parents do; push for the best of them, even with tough love.

Bottom line is, STEM will never die unless the species dies.

STEM will never die just as liberal arts will never die, but when crunch time hit for me to pick a bachelor's STEM was in a very bad spot at the time (job placement OOU was at record low) and liberal arts placement was at a record-high. I rode the wave. It happens. I don't regret anything - I would only regret my decision if I let it push me into a career that kept me from living a balanced life. A PhD in History was a profoundly 'fun' and an incredibly rewarding experience (not to mention the loads of scholarship travel I got to do for 'research'), even if the job market sucks now. And who knows, it may bounce back in a decade...or two.

G

STEM will never die just as liberal arts will never die, but when crunch time hit for me to pick a bachelor's STEM was in a very bad spot at the time (job placement OOU was at record low) and liberal arts placement was at a record-high. I rode the wave. It happens. I don't regret anything - I would only regret my decision if I let it push me into a career that kept me from living a balanced life. A PhD in History was a profoundly 'fun' and an incredibly rewarding experience (not to mention the loads of scholarship travel I got to do for 'research'), even if the job market sucks now. And who knows, it may bounce back in a decade...or two.

G

Well, I am of the opinion that the liberal arts are already dead (by contamination), but I accept that such opinion is debatable. STEM, on the other hand, remains mostly safe from contamination (although "they" are trying the best to do it... climate change et al, don't get me started there but suffices to say I have first hand experience on their "methods" because I worked for them when it all started), and in my mind, will always grow. Cyclic is the nature of the markets, including STEM, of course, but at the core, I would dare to say it's always a safe bet.

Well, I am of the opinion that the liberal arts are already dead (by contamination), but I accept that such opinion is debatable. STEM, on the other hand, remains mostly safe from contamination (although "they" are trying the best to do it... climate change et al, don't get me started there but suffices to say I have first hand experience on their "methods" because I worked for them when it all started), and in my mind, will always grow. Cyclic is the nature of the markets, including STEM, of course, but at the core, I would dare to say it's always a safe bet.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree - I don't see this the situation such stark, definitive terms (perhaps that's why I went liberal arts and you went STEM? Subjectivism, ho! :) )

G

I think we'll have to agree to disagree - I don't see this the situation such stark, definitive terms (perhaps that's why I went liberal arts and you went STEM? Subjectivism, ho! :) )

G

Perhaps you are hitting a nail there... if Ayn Rand would have had to chose a person to showcase her Objectivist philosophy, I would have made it into her final list... :yup:

Had to check what this STEM was about. Here we separate studies of science to studies of words (letters?). People from arts usually are proud to be STEM analphabets, while the opposite is not true. Personally I have lots of interests, from architecture to history, to economics and plumbing, although never to the point of making a career out of it. On the other hand, I don't get painted art (and I think that people that understand just are pretending to understand) and can't get interested in sports, I don't think I could name more than two players from Real Madrid soccer team.

....That's not something I would be proud of...

That's your opinion, I am, and it changed my life and the life of my family for the better (including bringing them to this beautiful place you and me both call home from a true, "anti-Rand" letrine)...

Had to check what this STEM was about. Here we separate studies of science to studies of words (letters?). People from arts usually are proud to be STEM analphabets, while the opposite is not true. Personally I have lots of interests, from architecture to history, to economics and plumbing, although never to the point of making a career out of it. On the other hand, I don't get painted art (and I think that people that understand just are pretending to understand) and can't get interested in sports, I don't think I could name more than two players from Real Madrid soccer team.

True, and I feel the same. I.e. I love history, I consider myself a history buff and read all I can about all I can to learn more, but I still would go STEM a thousand times for career...

True, and I feel the same. I.e. I love history, I consider myself a history buff and read all I can about all I can to learn more, but I still would go STEM a thousand times for career...
Well, someone has to make the studies so we can learn more about our history. It was a really interesting lecture that one from 1177bC about the fall of civilization. Discovers made by people stubborn enough to make a career in arts. While it is true that not everyone who desires to live from the academia should be able to do it, it's also sad to see the method used for rejection. It is not simply the fittest (shinniest researchers) who remain, but those with a better understanding of politics.

Maybe the same could be said about corporate managers, but in their case, politics is part of the job. Lead researchers are kind of staff managers too and you would think that research should be their main interest, but being surrounded by loyal people seems to be the priority for some of them. In general, we think we have a problem with endogamy in the Spanish university, and little is done to prevent this.

@Guynemer
This led me to Wikipedia and I spent hours researching Rocky horror picture show specifics. Than I reminisced about my childhood and how growing up as a conservative in liberal Atlanta has given me a better appreciation of things. Especially since I'm apolitical and living in Japan past four years. Memory lane is fun. Thanks!

@Guynemer
This led me to Wikipedia and I spent hours researching Rocky horror picture show specifics. Than I reminisced about my childhood and how growing up as a conservative in liberal Atlanta has given me a better appreciation of things. Especially since I'm apolitical and living in Japan past four years. Memory lane is fun. Thanks!

My pleasure.

I'm still on this version for the time being. I like that the happiness is a bit more under control. But I don't quite understand what it is doing either.
Example:
:c5happy: 8 [:c5unhappy: 16 / :c5happy: 40]
At first glance that tells me that I should have 24 :c5happy: rather than 8 :c5happy:. If I hover and bring up the tooltip, it does show me that I have 24 :c5happy:. 24 + 16 = 40 and 40 is the total number of citizens. But if I have 24 :c5happy: out of 40, why then does it subtract the 16 again to make 8 :c5happy:? Is it trying to indicate that out of 40 total citizens 16 are :c5unhappy:, 24 are :c5happy: and those 16 :c5unhappy: convert 16 :c5happy: to content? If that is the case, I'd rather see the following: :c5happy: 8 / [some icon for content] 16 / :c5unhappy: 16

I believe a happy / content / unhappy display would make better sense and be less confusing at least in my mind...

EDIT: use of ( messed with the icons changed to [

Last edited:
I'm still on this version for the time being. I like that the happiness is a bit more under control. But I don't quite understand what it is doing either.
I believe a happy / content / unhappy display would make better sense and be less confusing at least in my mind...
So I guess I'm reading it wrong. What is it currently?

So I guess I'm reading it wrong. What is it currently?
Post edited, forgot to preview before posting. An icon in the example got screwed up due to using "("

8 happy ( 16 unhappy / 40 happy )
Is what it reads when looking at the top bar, with appropriate icons instead of text.

Post edited, forgot to preview before posting. An icon in the example got screwed up due to using "("

8 happy ( 16 unhappy / 40 happy )
Is what it reads when looking at the top bar, with appropriate icons instead of text.

It's saying of your 40 citizens, 16 are unhappy. You have 8 net happiness. 16+8 = 24 which is total happiness from all sources. Everything seems correct here.

It's saying of your 40 citizens, 16 are unhappy. You have 8 net happiness. 16+8 = 24 which is total happiness from all sources. Everything seems correct here.
Then why not just show 24 :c5happy: / 16 :c5unhappy: ? As long as the happy is higher than the unhappy, things are good.

Then why not just show 24 :c5happy: / 16 :c5unhappy: ? As long as the happy is higher than the unhappy, things are good.

Net happiness is how it has always been presented and the whole happiness system is balanced around 0.

Last edited:
It DOES say 16:c5unhappy: / 40:c5citizen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom