New SG - Monarch, Standard Settings, Continents, Large Map

Theme for this Turn: Operation Overlord

Once again Kai was awoken from a deep sleep by a messenger from the Senate.
The legions had once again been assembled (this time on metal ships!) and stood ready for his command.

After a quick review of the state of the empire, Kai ordered the ships to his selected target. The close location, small size and lack of military might made the Indian empire the perfect spot for the initial roman beach head for spreading the true light of civilization to the Other Continent.

It took a few turns for the ships to get into position, while Kai waited for the all clear, the Roman Scientists Reported they had created a form of Government called Democracy. Kai directed them to study Physics.

Kai also got a message from the admirals running his landing force. Delhi was very lightly defended. As such Kai chose a two prong attack and sent for the Indian Ambassador. When he arrived Kai regretfully inform that he had only a few days to arrange sanctuary for himself. The Ambassador looked incredulous and Kai shook his head sadly as he left. The poor man would soon understand.

Before the day was even out, two runners arrived with the news that the assault on Delhi and Pataliputra had begun. As expected the assault did not take long:

First Pataliputra fell:

Followed by Delhi.

Smelling blood, Gilgamesh declared war on India.

Kai took some moments to heal up the armies then sent them on to Bombay and Lahore. (Leaving only a small garrison behind)
As they moved the roman scientists reported they had created a mathmatical model for falling bodies (physics) and Kai directed them to use this to enhance the cannons our military currently uses.

Sadly the turns spent healing the army that took Delhi allowed Gilgamesh to get the jump on the Roman Army.

By the time the legions got to Bombay, Gilgamesh had taken the city.

Irked by this minor setback, Kai directed the northern army on to Agra. He also ordered that a spy be sent into Gilgamesh's territory to examine what defenses the upstart has.

The armies finally moved into position and the assault on Lahore and Agra began. (As this happened, Gandhi made a hopeless counterattack, and managed to raze a few of Rome's fishing boats with a Frigate, before it was destroyed by a passing destroyer. (Bad Kai, he was too busy watching that new serving girl rather then paying attention to his military reports:blush:))

The roman scientists also finalized plans for a new artillery weapon. Due to the Heath problems now facing the empire, Kai directed them to research a way to improve Farm Production (Biology)

Lahore fell first followed by Agra.

The fall of Agra, signaled the end of hostilities as the beachhead had now been established.

Kai directed some final cleanup and more garrison troops to the newly acquired cities, then started to make plans for the future. However as he did this, that new serving girl with curves in all the right places came back in... And the Senate was left to call for Frank to begin the real work of bringing civilization to the uncultured empires.

Ok this is where I left this.
The Indian Empire went down with 0 lost units.

Here's a shot of our beach head that we have to work from:

Note the couple Roman cannons in the middle of the Gilgamesh's lands, these are reinforcements heading for our armies, as well as garrison troops I'm sending to the captured cities so that we don't use our experienced Assault troops for that.

Here's our current armies and their locations:

Army 1 and 2 are in Lahore and Agra:

We are technically between Liz and Gilgamesh, but I was guessing that we would be going after Gilg...

SO... I searched around with a spy a bit, and it looks like Gilg's defenses are pretty weak except for this army:

Everything else is either outdated or very skeleton...

With that in mind, I assembled a third strike force that is sitting off the coast ready to hammer one of Gilg's Citys from the sea when you need them.

I also just completed Biology and started to research Flight (My thinking was it might be nice (but not needed) to have Airports to help move troops across the sea)

Well that's about it, Have fun, and feel free to point out things that I fell down on.

Attachments

• Owner AD-1810.CivBeyondSwordSave
    568.7 KB · Views: 78
Great job establishing the beachhead, scrubkai!

Looks like I'm up but I won't be able to play until late on Sunday. If someone wants to swap, please feel free to sieze the opportunity.

Frank,

Hopefully you found everything set up for your assult... Was there anything major I missed in my turnset? (Just wondering because I was very distracted while playing....)

If I had to choose a theme for this round of turns it would be "Armies lost, a War stolen."

We lost an Army, Gilgamesh lost two. And unexpectedly, the war was stolen from us when Gilgamesh capitulated to the Dutch.

I started off (after a bit of micromanaging) deciding who our next target would be. I tend to declare on the highest scoring AI that makes sense and that was Gilgamesh. The only other option that made any sense was England but they are so weak and we were so strong that seemed like a waste of our strength.

Looking at Gilgamesh's foreign relations:

He was friendly with William and Pacal and not with Elizabeth. That meant that if he drew a friend into the war against us, they would not be an immediate threat to our forces in the southern portion of the continent. Both Pacal and William were way up north.

One thing that intrigued me was this Sumerian army of Grenadiers that were trapped inside of London:

(hmmm ... my pointer fell a little short) It had to represent a significant portion of his power and we could attack it with impunity.

And so I declared war on the Sumerian empire.

Things went smoothly at first with two Armies working in the center and west:

Thanks to an amphibious landing, we also captured Bad-Tibira and razed a new city south of Calcutta but I didn't get captures. It was at that point I noticed an amazing stack of 20 Grenadiers, 11 Cannons and some Knights, Longbowmen and a Swordsman approaching Calcutta.

Here is what he had left after they recaptured Calcutta from us.

We lost a fine Army of seasoned Infantry and a Supermedic General but we extracted heavy losses from the enemy.

We discovered Flight and started building Carriers and Fighters.

I also upgraded all our surviving Cannons to Artillery. We started research on Electricity. This event helped that effort:

We also completed Ironworks in Athens and Wall Street in (I forget the name of the city).

And this event surprised me:

Meanwhile, our eastern stack of seasoned veterans racked up experience points carving up the Army in London. Rather than struggle with English culture, I left a Longbowman survivor there and turned toward the north.

They captured York, giving us the Taoist Shrine and welcome added cash but again, I missed the screen shot. But I remembered this one:

Our central Army, combined with the steady stream of reinforcements from the Roman coast and started to steamroll.

At Uruk, we destroyed the remnants of the Sumerian Army that had retaken Calcutta. By now, fighters were softening up defenders almost guaranteeing the survival of our city-raiding Artillery.

But while our Armies continued their march north I was shocked to learn that Gilgamesh capitulated to William. The war was over.

After taking this long, I have failed to accomplish my objective. I think we should continue by declaring on William immediately. We need to continue the drive north because Pacal has turned up the culture slider:

I apologize for taking so long. I've been fighting illness but the game has been a lot of fun. I'm doing something a little unusual -- our three stacks (two at Uruk, one at Lagash) have not yet been moved. I've left them for the next player who may decide to continue the drive north or to invade England instead.

In either case, have fun!

Attachments

• Owner AD-1846.CivBeyondSwordSave
    619.4 KB · Views: 66
Scrubkai, your setup was marvelous. The only thing I remember that could be considered "wrong" might be building military units in cities before constructing barracks. I also had to chase down all our workers who were on automation to get them to build railroads to improve our flow of re-enforcements to the embarkation point at Sparta.

BTW, we constructed Wall Street in Hadrumentum as well as National Park in Ravenna (along with 6 forest preserves).

OK if my calculations are rigth I am up and will play at the Weekend. I will keep my eye on Pacal's culture!!

Ralph

I won't worry to much about Pacal's Culture.

He has on city that is off the charts (75000) culture, Then his next city has under 20K and third city has about 10K culture.
So I doubt he will be much of a threat any time soon. (And this game should be wrapped up soon)

As for who to attack next....
There's no reason we need to attack Gilg and Wiliam next. Looking at our victory conditions, we have the pop already, and have over 50% of the land area controlled.

We very well could just take out Liz and gain the last 10% land area. It might be faster then having to roll through all of William and Gilg's forces to take the last few cities.

Not that I have a problem attacking William, I'm just thinking it would be much faster to take out England.

Well a very brief report as we are slowly grinding through the AI.
Spent a couple of turns arranging our forces to invade Elizabeth. I mean with a snarl like that her face would look good on the end of a pole.

We gobbled up her land quite rapidly

And in the meantime unlocked tanks but doubt we will need them

A GE popped which I couldn’t think of anything better to do with than found Mining Inc

AT the end of the set we have wiped out Liz and are at 55.35% of the 60% land needed.

Now a few more tiles will arise when her cities come out of revolt but rather than just pressing enter you could take Gilga’s cities shown to make it fun and that should hopefully push over the domination limit

:deal:

Attachments

• Owner AD-1857.CivBeyondSwordSave
    621.1 KB · Views: 75
I have class tonight and meetings tomorrow and Thursday. Since I have played in a while, I feel it's better that you finish this off anyways since you put in more time than I have been able to.

Well as no one has picked this up I will finish it off as I have never let an SG I participated in die!!

Ralph

So anyway no detailed report as nothing detailed to report.
We were very close to domination with some cities in revolt

But to make sure we declare war versus Gilga to take the two cities stealing some of our tiles to ensure we go over the limit. With the forces we have already down there from the war versus the English it’s a cake walk.
And we soon hit domination.

Thanks.... Now onto Emperor?

Attachments

• Owner AD-1862.CivBeyondSwordSave
    622 KB · Views: 112
Top Bottom