New Version - 3.2.2 (March 15, 2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.
But scouts are not meant to counteract swordsmen.

I wrote the reason.

If you move along the upper branch, then for 5 technologies you can start building a fleet. And become absolutely helpless against the ground invasion of the Swordsmen, who also require 5 technologies. Moreover, the ground empire will be able to partially counteract your fleet with the help of Chariot Archers, controlling the shores with them and placing them in a garrison.

And you can not oppose absolutely nothing. Ships from cities cannot shoot, Dromons will not help, since not everywhere along the coast there are coastal waters two tiles from the coast, where Dromons can retreat when attacking a foreign city or defending their own.

Even a Spearmen invasion cannot be countered, as Scouts require 5 technologies and Spearmen require two. The Scout is able to defend against the Spearmen, and with regeneration even go into a constant attack, but he appears too late.

I wrote the reason.

If you move along the upper branch, then for 5 technologies you can start building a fleet. And become absolutely helpless against the ground invasion of the Swordsmen, who also require 5 technologies. Moreover, the ground empire will be able to partially counteract your fleet with the help of Chariot Archers, controlling the shores with them and placing them in a garrison.

And you can not oppose absolutely nothing. Ships from cities cannot shoot, Dromons will not help, since not everywhere along the coast there are coastal waters two tiles from the coast, where Dromons can retreat when attacking a foreign city or defending their own.

Even a Spearmen invasion cannot be countered, as Scouts require 5 technologies and Spearmen require two. The Scout is able to defend against the Spearmen, and with regeneration even go into a constant attack, but he appears too late.
Spearmen fill the roll of cheap defensive units. Scouts should be avoiding combat unless absolutely necessary.

Any likelihood that certain CS quests can be locked again until a certain turn? It’s a niche complaint but accidently getting a golden age from discovering natural wonders earlier than normal is pretty bad before you have tile improvements up that give gold… not to mention messing up Persia’s immortal rush.

Spearmen fill the roll of cheap defensive units. Scouts should be avoiding combat unless absolutely necessary.

I do not agree that scouts should avoid combat. Recon units have initial bonuses to fast movement across difficult terrain. These units are ideal for controlling the forests, hills and rivers on their borders. For this bonus, they have less CS and normal army units will destroy them over time, but scouts are able to delay the enemy for a decent number of moves, receiving a defense bonus (+ 25%) in forests (additional + 25%), and on hills with forest + 35%. Plus two promotions to regeneration, giving + 25% defense bonus each. And if they stand at a good point near the river, then the enemy will receive an additional penalty for attacking across the river.

If the scout has regeneration, then he becomes an extremely tenacious unit. But this is balanced by the fact that at least 60 (in real 90) experience points are required to receive regeneration. But there are no barracks in the top tech tree, the defended territory is explored and there is no free experience.

As a result, if the Scouts are moved to 'Fishing', then there will be access to a very good defensive unit in the Ancient Era. But this unit must use the terrain features, in an open field it will be instantly killed.

I personally very often use recon units as a fighter, especially the scout. It has a definite advantage for controlling difficult areas.

I'm not sure I understand the increased cost for buildings. Is this offset somewhere else I didn't notice? I find the money very necessary for science victory. Is there a way to mod 3.2.2 to the previous values? I'm not a programmer or know that side. However, I can follow instructions (most of the time :) )

I appreciate the help, thank you.

i got a scout off a goody hut this patch, sent him off to level-up then brought him back in-time to catch the height of the archer era, set on patrol of large forest area between me and hostile celts... have war pantheon for +10 heal on kills as well as the scout heal-while-moving.. he can't attack the pictish warriors but otherwise owns the forest, 2-shotting all archers from behind whenever the army advances, capturing many slave workers, pillaging border resources, etc. Even mopped up an undefended forward settlement solo! basically zero-to-death with all the healing it was doing. I enjoy the odd appearance of these "super" units, as long as not too common, and ideally accessible by AI as well (i've never seen AI use recon so effectively but can live with it)

anecdotally from VP's past, I once had a solid tech lead, was first to discover tech for explorer, upgraded my uber scout and sent him out into the deep oceans -- within 10 turns had found a deserted island goody hut, and had him upgraded to zeppelin back when those were a thing. Won't ever happen again, but having a zep when no one else even has explorer was incredibly OP, and a lot of fun :D

Last edited:
i am getting crash when conquering roman-founded cities that are owned by non-roman players, anyone else? AI seems to be able to conquer 'em, and all other city conquering seems fine....
I am also having a rome-related crash, although I have not figured out what is causing it yet.

I am also having a rome-related crash, although I have not figured out what is causing it yet
So i've had 3 games so far -- on my first many things were looking scuffed, some parts of UI were broken etc. Kept going anyway til I started getting CTD's. This was 43-civ so rome was in the game somewhere but i had no idea if any crashes had to do with them: eventually determined this was at least partially a corrupt install issue, re-installed, and all the UI oddities disappeared, assumed everything was fixed...

i had crashes in my 2nd game (the first without corruption issues), also 43-civ, relatively early during ancient/classical multi-civ war against rome, and couldnt figure out what was going on. Didn't do much analysis or trouble-shooting as it was still early and i had my usual list of about half-a-dozen mods activated -- figured with all the compatibility updates one of 'em had messed something up and restarted.

Cut back to just a few modmods I've worked on myself and know inside out for 3rd game (2nd since corrupt install was fixed): made it a bit further (43-civ as always) but again am having CTD's -- this time rome got wiped out by mayans, and i am now capturing ex-roman cities from mayans around 500 bc. To be precise, I can capture the city fine, but when it comes time to choose whether its annexed or puppet etc., game crashes when i click that notification (or the button etc. if i clear all the other notifications first, just cant get the UI for the choice to come up). Reloaded a save and went after a different nearby city, also ex-roman. Same thing happened when i captured it a few turns later.

I have captured 3 other cities in this game from 2 other civs, all from their original owner, and everything worked fine. I'm pretty sure at least one of these roman cities have switched owners multiple times, but that may have been back-and-forth with rome itself before they went under. There are many wars as usual for 43-civ and many city captures all over the map, only these roman-related captures seem to be the issue.

Been running firetuner the whole time and nothing odd shows up in the console there, but firetuner also crashes.

I can move this concern over to git, just am unclear if I've worked out all my corruption issues or if its more general problem. afaik rome was recently overhauled....

Last edited:
Is it possible to add a sub-item 'only the previous generation' in the 'Tech Trading' option in the settings?

Currently, a civilization that discovers a technology can immediately sell it, which simultaneously speeds up the late game (not always good, the unit age is shortened), and fan the fire of war (which is not bad). In reality, no state will sell the latest technology so as not to produce competitors and taking care of own safety.

For example, someone discovered Penicillin - is now free to sell all previous technologies of this branch, except for Penicillin, given the 'on / off Tech Brokering'.

Spoiler :

20230319171447_1.jpg

i am getting crash when conquering roman-founded cities that are owned by non-roman players, anyone else? AI seems to be able to conquer 'em, and all other city conquering seems fine....

I am also having a rome-related crash, although I have not figured out what is causing it yet.
Please report both crashes on git and add a save game, they're probably caused by the recent Rome rework. There is already one issue on git reporting a crash related to the conquest of cities that had been controlled by Rome. All three crashes probably have the same cause.

@Tekamthi if possible, also add a save game from before the Mayans conquered the roman city you were about to conquer.

So on my current 3.2.2 game i just vassalised Mongolia and also a couple of turns b4 entering Renaissance through Gunpowder i was extremely lucky to find a remote Island full of barbs with ruins which upgraded my explorer to Commando.
Now i dont mind the fun that could be had by having a commando while everyone including me are still about an era behind that tech.
The thing is, upon entering Renaissance, as part of my Mongol tribute i got 2 more commando units and it feels a bit too much.
I dont know how tribute units are calculated but maybe a small tweak is needed because like i sad the unit is a full era ahead and now by having 3 of them i will probably be able to steamroll my continent.. Tech level for all AIs and me is between 29 and 34 techs.

I dont know how tribute units are calculated but maybe a small tweak is needed because like i sad the unit is a full era ahead and now by having 3 of them i will probably be able to steamroll my continent.. Tech level for all AIs and me is between 29 and 34 techs.

Yes, there should be a limit on such units to the maximum technology for the vassal. It will be very strange to bring back to life an empire that was destroyed a couple of thousand years ago and receive a tank as a gift.

Gifts from military CSs should also be limited by their tech levels.

Gifts from military CSs should also be limited by their tech levels.
Thats already been taken care of because military CS wont gift you their unique unit before a specific tech is researched anyway (but maybe thats part of the UCS mod i play with).

Please report both crashes on git and add a save game, they're probably caused by the recent Rome rework. There is already one issue on git reporting a crash related to the conquest of cities that had been controlled by Rome. All three crashes probably have the same cause.

@Tekamthi if possible, also add a save game from before the Mayans conquered the roman city you were about to conquer.

I was on auto-saves only, and just deleted the cities via firetuner so i could carry on with game -- I will start a new one this weekend and try to recreate this situation.

Are the session 3 proposals scheduled to be implemented next patch/month?
Next month should be a whole new session with new proposals. All previous abandoned proposals are vetoed and must be proposed again. At least that's what Recursive said.

Next month should be a whole new session with new proposals. All previous abandoned proposals are vetoed and must be proposed again. At least that's what Recursive said.
Given there has been some unforeseen changes in sponsorship/development, is it possible to get a list of "abandoned" proposals and potentially extend them? Seems a shame to re-vote for things that the community has already agreed would be a good/nice thing for the mod.

Given there has been some unforeseen changes in sponsorship/development, is it possible to get a list of "abandoned" proposals and potentially extend them? Seems a shame to re-vote for things that the community has already agreed would be a good/nice thing for the mod.
You would need to at least propose again simply due to the need for a sponsor. I wouldn't mind them getting fast-tracked in case they do get a sponsor, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom