New Version - October 17th (10-17)

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gazebo , we're always turning to you like the Mod-God you are, but people rarely ask any God how he's doing otherwise. So, how have you been doing otherwise? Have your Halloween costume picked out already? :)

@Gazebo , we're always turning to you like the Mod-God you are, but people rarely ask any God how he's doing otherwise. So, how have you been doing otherwise? Have your Halloween costume picked out already? :)

Thanks for asking! Doing quite well. No costume for me this year, but my lovely 14mo daughter shall be a pumpkin for Halloween. Going to exploit her cuteness for candy from strangers take her trick-or-treating like the swell father I am. :)

Edit: this is also as good of a place as any to do a little bit of adverting for Marbozir. He's currently on his third recent LP of Vox Populi, definitely worth supporting his efforts!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHQyGGzRHYIaELcU3GMEZQcD8x2c-7TSc

Cheers,
G

Thanks for asking! Doing quite well. No costume for me this year, but my lovely 14mo daughter shall be a pumpkin for Halloween. Going to exploit her cuteness for candy from strangers take her trick-or-treating like the swell father I am. :)

Edit: this is also as good of a place as any to do a little bit of adverting for Marbozir. He's currently on his third recent LP of Vox Populi, definitely worth supporting his efforts!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHQyGGzRHYIaELcU3GMEZQcD8x2c-7TSc

Cheers,
G

I didn't know about Marbozir's, except maybe the first one. Are there others?

Never mind -- answered my own question. I'm looking forward to dipping into these.

How are people finding the annex/puppet balance this version? Previously I’ve gone by the heuristic of “annex capitals and strategically important cities, puppet the rest.” Is that still sound, or should I do more annexing?

How are people finding the annex/puppet balance this version? Previously I’ve gone by the heuristic of “annex capitals and strategically important cities, puppet the rest.” Is that still sound, or should I do more annexing?

I'm still finishing my 10/9 game so I can't answer this with experience, but from what I've been reading on the forums, your style (which is the same as my own) sounds like it's more viable than it was before. Apparently puppeting pretty much every city after like 6 was the best bang for your buck yield-wise in 10/9 and other patches. Discussion over that seems to have been the catalyst for the latest balance change.

How about setting overflow production limitations to 60% instead of 50%? I.e. making investments possible when a building is 60% ready (respective limitation for Wonders/Industry/Babylon)? Just a quality of life solution, cause it is frustrating when you can't invest in a building that is 51% ready.

(in fact i am agaist this limitation at all, i dont understand why is it needed. Stonehendge on Deity is the only case where it can be abused, but anyway Stonehenge is useless 95% of times)

I also dislike the limitation. I understand the thinking behind it, but it's too limiting for what little it fixes. The exploit is fixed, sure, but it's counterintuitive as it is now.

How about setting overflow production limitations to 60% instead of 50%? I.e. making investments possible when a building is 60% ready (respective limitation for Wonders/Industry/Babylon)? Just a quality of life solution, cause it is frustrating when you can't invest in a building that is 51% ready.

(in fact i am agaist this limitation at all, i dont understand why is it needed. Stonehendge on Deity is the only case where it can be abused, but anyway Stonehenge is useless 95% of times)

The whole point is to make it AI friendly. Investing into overflow is an exploit. The AI doesn’t get it. So it is gone.

By the way Holy Law is seriously overpowered, definitely the strongest founder by far. Even if I plan to conquer the world, I'd rather get the Holy Law than Heroic Worship. Needs to be 3 or maybe 4 per pop, 5 is crazy.

The whole point is to make it AI friendly. Investing into overflow is an exploit. The AI doesn’t get it. So it is gone.
While i agree with in in theory, in practice this exploit can be used in only one (useless) situation. And this is why i suggested making it 60% instead of 50%, the "exploit" remains fixed this way.

While i agree with in in theory, in practice this exploit can be used in only one (useless) situation. And this is why i suggested making it 60% instead of 50%, the "exploit" remains fixed this way.

If the exploit is fixed at 60%, then why would you want to do it?

If you have a reason -- and the AI can't do it -- then it shouldn't be in the mod.

If the exploit is fixed at 60%, then why would you want to do it?
Because it is frustrating when you can't invest in a building that is 51% ready. If the treshhold is set at 60% then you can get 10% of production overflow at maximum, which is not a big deal, but you won't be frustrated in lots of situations when you forgot to invest previous turn and you no longer can do it.

Because it is frustrating when you can't invest in a building that is 51% ready. If the treshhold is set at 60% then you can get 10% of production overflow at maximum, which is not a big deal, but you won't be frustrated in lots of situations when you forgot to invest previous turn and you no longer can do it.

What if you forget two turns in a row?

I'm against changing the status to something that gives you an edge over the AI, in order to give you a hedge against "forgetting."

Last edited:
What if you forget two turns in a row?

I'm against changing the status to something that gives you an edge over the AI, in order to hive you a hedge against "forgetting."
"Two turns in a row" is misleading here. It is better to say "when a building is 60% ready", and in this case it is usually not worth to invest anymore (better to invest into the same building in another city). And this does not give you any edge, cause it is 10% of production overflow at maximum, usually less than 1 turn. Btw, do you have any idea where it can give you an (useful) edge over AI besides building Stonehenge on Deity (which is also useless)?

EDIT: and i think having a mechanics that gives you a very small edge over AI while making you life much easier is not a bad thing really. If you think that this is a big edge - up your difficulty.

"Two turns in a row" is misleading here. It is better to say "when a building is 60% ready", and in this case it is usually not worth to invest anymore (better to invest into the same building in another city). And this does not give you any edge, cause it is 10% of production overflow at maximum, usually less than 1 turn. Btw, do you have any idea where it can give you an (useful) edge over AI besides building Stonehenge on Deity (which is also useless)?

If investing at 60% is usually not worth it, then I don't know why you're pushing for it.

More to the point, overflow is an edge (however minor) that micro-managers will continue to factor in, as opposed to forgetting all about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom