NewNES - Our Origins

@Angst can I join? And how does this work exactly? I've been reading a lot about it but I've never done a NES before so I'd like to try it out!

@Angst can I join? And how does this work exactly? I've been reading a lot about it but I've never done a NES before so I'd like to try it out!

Hey sorry about the late reply! I'm in the middle of exams and have almost finished the update. So I'd love you to join after the update. It should show up next week; join after that!

Here's the join template from the initial post - just fill out the entries and you'll get stats for the next update. There's no reason to get acquainted with the rules until after you're in, so just concentrate on the template for now.

-

Join template
Reminder: If you’re joining at the beginning, before filling this in, read the Cradle section below for initial restrictions.

Culture name: The name of your culture.

Mythos: What are your peoples beliefs; where do they come from, where did the world come from and how does it reflect in their current society?

Society: How does your culture’s people normally govern themselves? What are their ‘normal’ - what are their gender roles, what are their traditions, what are their cultural efforts and what do they consider virtues and vices?

Sample sentences: This is to get an idea of what your language looks like. Write three sentences of your language as written in the Latin alphabet. (Don’t use apostrophes unless they’re glottal stops or have similar function of transcription.)

Phenotypes: Note here an approximation of your look(s). You’re relatively free to choose from phenotypes that aren’t strictly in the area of your choice. (Before you ask: No, there is no stats effect of this. The point is just to give players a visual idea of the look of the cultures. That’s it. (Naturally, you’re free to create a racist culture, as you’re free to create a culture that is irrational and cruel in other ways.))

Claims: Choose an area on the world map.

I second that and like to toss my hat in the ring after the update

Hey sorry about the late reply! I'm in the middle of exams and have almost finished the update. So I'd love you to join after the update. It should show up next week; join after that!

Here's the join template from the initial post - just fill out the entries and you'll get stats for the next update. There's no reason to get acquainted with the rules until after you're in, so just concentrate on the template for now.

-

Join template
Reminder: If you’re joining at the beginning, before filling this in, read the Cradle section below for initial restrictions.

Culture name: The name of your culture.

Mythos: What are your peoples beliefs; where do they come from, where did the world come from and how does it reflect in their current society?

Society: How does your culture’s people normally govern themselves? What are their ‘normal’ - what are their gender roles, what are their traditions, what are their cultural efforts and what do they consider virtues and vices?

Sample sentences: This is to get an idea of what your language looks like. Write three sentences of your language as written in the Latin alphabet. (Don’t use apostrophes unless they’re glottal stops or have similar function of transcription.)

Phenotypes: Note here an approximation of your look(s). You’re relatively free to choose from phenotypes that aren’t strictly in the area of your choice. (Before you ask: No, there is no stats effect of this. The point is just to give players a visual idea of the look of the cultures. That’s it. (Naturally, you’re free to create a racist culture, as you’re free to create a culture that is irrational and cruel in other ways.))

Claims: Choose an area on the world map.

Thanks much! Sorry I'm just now responding - I was out on vacation. I'll edit this post ASAP with my submission. I need some time to write this up and think it out, and if I get to it too late then we can worry about it next turn :p

Okay, here's my new culture. I can flesh this out more as needed:
Culture name: Saham'shat

Mythos: Saham'shat people believe that the Sun is a God (Qomsha), and Qomsha brings life, warmth, and growth to the world. His daughter the Moon (Haket) watches over the night when the sun must rest. The Sun created the world and everything around us. Even though the Sun is powerful, it must rest as the Moon must. The Moon was created when the Sun realized he had to rest. Spring, Summer, and Fall are all considered seasons of life due to the warmth and the ability to grow and harvest food at the oasis. The cold of winter is thought to be a period of war between the Sun and the Dark Spirits. The moon keeps the dark spirits at bay during the night. Camels, which helped the Saham'shat build their fledgling society, helped traders cross the desert and are considered gifts from the Sun due to their ability to easily cross deserts. It is said that the Sun itself has ten-thousand camels, and is the richest being in the cosmos. The sun is the ultimate judge, jury, and executioner for wrongdoers, and people are often judged by being placed in the most remote part of the deserts to survive.

Society: Our society is led by a King (Dene), and the Dene rules over Maq'iq with approval of the Council of the Nine. The Nine are selected by lottery from Maq'iq's three non-noble castes every thirteen lunar cycles (approximately one quarter year): the Freemen (who are typically farmers and soldiers), the Priests, and the Merchants. Should a supermajority (six of the Nine) of the Nine see that the Dene has become corrupt or unfit to rule, the Dene can be removed from power and sent to the desert. Should the Dene survive for ten days, or make his way back to the city, he is considered cleansed, and can reclaim his crown. The family of the Dene is placed under the care of the Nine during this time. When a Dene is removed from power, or dies, a new Dene is selected by the current ruling Nine, again by supermajority. Typically, each block of three sees all members voting similarly on matters, but periodically there is a break in ranks. The Dene rules alone, in theory, but many matters require the approval of the Nine first, particularly interstate matters and anything related to the welfare of the society.

The law is strict, but considered just by most - as camels are sacred, harming one is punishable by prison and a fine, whereas the intentional death of a camel is a most grievous crime and punishable by death. Harm done to a person is treated equally. Human life is valuable, and armed conflict is generally frowned upon, though defense of their people is allowed. Archery is both their primary weapon of war, and a competition sport for entertainment. Camels are not ridden for war, but are used for supply trains, by traders, and ridden by the Dene. Owning a camel is a sign of wealth, piety, and status. Trade is considered to be a worthy profession, and the Saham'shat set up marketplaces and trading posts wherever is opportune to allow for the flow of commerce.

Legally there are no prohibitions against women ruling, but it has yet to happen, with the possible exception of an ancient, legendary queen (Ailene). Women do appear in the lottery for the Nine, and are allowed to have property rights. Women are not allowed as Priests, however. There are large merchant businesses run by women, however, and many of the merchants are in fact female, and they are known for their intelligent business practices. The markets and temples of the city are the most frequented establishments, as piety and wealth are prized. However, the rights and dignity of all peoples, high and low status, are so prized that all prisoners and criminals must be treated equally. It is difficult for even the richest king to get away with the death of a lowly freeman. Some merchants practice slavery, but it is not a widespread practice at this time.

Sample sentences (I kind of winged it):
Mik awa sha Saham'shat.
We are the People of the Sand.

Teregostu au sha Maq'iq
Welcome to the Water of Life.

Qestana awa sha qistest moloq'Saham.
Camels are the greatest pride of the people.

Phenotypes: Similar to the Yemeni type described, but with darker skin, and a propensity for emerald green eyes to show up due to a mutation in their DNA.

Claims: The Sahamshat migrated Westward from their traditional homeland in the east desert to a lush and fertile oasis south of the mountains to the north of the Volgar. Their main city, Maq'iq, was created around the oasis, and is being used as a base to begin trade with nearby peoples.
Sahamshat core.png

Culture name: Adajalu.

Mythos: The Adajalu are an animistic people. Believing that animals are representations of spirits. This is only for animals though. Water, plants and earth are just that.. The most powerful of these spirits is Stikyar. Stikyar is the creator and destroyer who tends to the paradise in which the Adajalu live. It is animated in the great Elephant that walks the jungle leaving large pathways in its wake. Beside Stikyar, the only other spirits their play a direct role in the lives of the Adajalu are the Atma. An Atma is the totem of a village. Every village has its own unique Atma.

Society: In general every village is its own polity. Life in these polities is mostly governed by daily chores and requires little direction. In every village, however, are those called Nayaks. The Nayaks are persons who’s skill or wisdom is recognized by others. They hold no official position but their opinions carry more weight and when decisions have to be made for the village, they are generally the ones that make it. There is no official election process to become a Nayak¸ you just become it and it’s possible that not all people will recognize a person as a Nayak.

The Adajalu tend to have the same characteristics as the Atma of their village. This is mostly the result of upbringing. The children are thought the behave after the characteristics of the Atma, that the village considers most positive. It happens that an Adajal does not identify with the Atma of its birthvillage. In these cases the Adajal will move to another village where the Atma most suits them. This practice keeps the ties between the villages tight and prevents that the village become a single family.

A roles in a village are open to both sexes. In general however man will do the work outside the village while the women stay closer to home. Both areas tend to have a 80/20 ratio.

Sample sentences:

Dan Stikyar deval marg – It’s a path of Stikyar

Nayak Arvya mat vindai – Listen to Nayak Arvya

Cetlan kosa akal ekkandi – Clin that tree for its leaves

Phenotypes: Amazonian

Last edited:
Top Bottom