Next patch anticipation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28th is also date that AMD Ryzen chips get launched? Timing would be very interesting. Many sites are saying this is coming soon. No way they would leave a patch for 2-3 more months.

Interestingly it suggests the new Civ is free for all?

Actually, a Railroad/Western Expansion themed scenario would be awesome. If I knew anything about modding, I would start on this tomorrow. Maybe wait and see if some Native American civs get added.

and if I recall, wasn't there a Steampunk scenario in 5? I never played the scenarios, but I had a ladyfriend who loved dirigibles, so she loved it. It reminded me too much of those silly blimp brigades in Civ3 lol

No, it does not. "Premium DLC" does not mean free for all.

The free update is for the patch itself, which has Steam Workshop, Multiplayer teams, and a patch to AI including obsolete unit upgrades, trade routes, and ice caps.

Yep missed that. It's more likely to time with GDC 2017. AMD thing is maybe a coincidence? Although AMD have partnered with Firaxis giving the game away free with some GPU.

Actually, a Railroad/Western Expansion themed scenario would be awesome. If I knew anything about modding, I would start on this tomorrow. Maybe wait and see if some Native American civs get added.

Again why I would love it as the focus of an expansion. Make it all about commerce. Perfect fit for the Dutch to make it. Expand on railways and have the aforementioned western expansion scenario leading to 1 or 2 NA civs. Top it off with a new feature of corporations and new Eco VC. Seems like a home run.

Again why I would love it as the focus of an expansion. Make it all about commerce. Perfect fit for the Dutch to make it. Expand on railways and have the aforementioned western expansion scenario leading to 1 or 2 NA civs. Top it off with a new feature of corporations and new Eco VC. Seems like a home run.

I might be misinterpreting the post, but I'm reading it was "a scenario based on the expansion into the West in which railroads play an integral part". If we're getting a scenario featuring railroads, I would think Africa would appeal to a broader audience.

I might be misinterpreting the post, but I'm reading it was "a scenario based on the expansion into the West in which railroads play an integral part". If we're getting a scenario featuring railroads, I would think Africa would appeal to a broader audience.

And they did that already with Scramble for Africa.

Edit: SDK just updated again

Last edited:
Looking at the First Look video, I noticed that some of the interface may have changed. The "View Reports" button on the top bar, for example, is now just "Reports." If they continue to streamline it, maybe the useless "My Government" tab will be gone too.

I hope that this streamlining comes with more intuitive tooltips and information where necessary.

Looking at the First Look video, I noticed that some of the interface may have changed. The "View Reports" button on the top bar, for example, is now just "Reports." If they continue to streamline it, maybe the useless "My Government" tab will be gone too.

I hope that this streamlining comes with more intuitive tooltips and information where necessary.

UI is a huge gripe for me, but I'm not in high hopes for any real changes. They didn't seem to care to fix the overlap issue in the screenshot below(I realize it might not be the latest release), and it's an easy enough fix that there's a mod that currently does it.

I think we're going to have to wait a couple of weeks for the modders to get to the UI before it's passable.

Attachments

• BadCityScreen.png
    BadCityScreen.png
    604.2 KB · Views: 197
There are also balance changes and bug fixes coming in this update, ranging from trade routes to ice caps, obsolete units to AI upgrades. We’ll go more in-depth on these details at a later time.

Hoping that includes significant AI improvements; from what I've read that's the biggest problem currently, and it's a major reason that I've stuck with III/IV, and non-Civ games. Only half of reviews being positive is abysmal, especially for a Civ game.

I am glad to see modding tools, but it's 4 months after release. Modding could address several of the other reasons I've been holding off, such as the art style, and maybe even the AI, but not having either modding or a halfway competent AI for 4 months boggles the mind. If the reviews had been great and I'd bought the game, I probably could have written modding tools for certain aspects of the game myself in 4 months, and almost surely with a few community helpers.

And while that may sound presumptuous, I have written a lot of modding tools for Civ III, so I have a better understanding than most of what would be involved. Getting something as polished as what I have for III wouldn't be possible without a lot of help in 4 months (at least with a day job; maybe if I worked at Firaxis), but targeted high-priority items likely would have been. In a way I'd have liked to have taken a stab at it to see how far I could have got before the official tools were released. However, Firaxis needed to at least have the base game in good shape at release to motivate me enough to try that.

Another civ is cool, but not really what is needed. Even my most-played Civ iterations hadn't seen me play 16+ civs in 4 months.

Overall, I'm anticipating AMD's new processors much more than Civ VI's next patch. Eventually I'm sure I'll pick it up, but Firaxis lost their chance to excite me about it in the fall, and the Endless Master Collection was on sale recently so I have plenty of strategy games to keep me occupied for awhile.

Hoping that includes significant AI improvements; from what I've read that's the biggest problem currently, and it's a major reason that I've stuck with III/IV, and non-Civ games. Only half of reviews being positive is abysmal, especially for a Civ game.

I am glad to see modding tools, but it's 4 months after release. Modding could address several of the other reasons I've been holding off, such as the art style, and maybe even the AI, but not having either modding or a halfway competent AI for 4 months boggles the mind. If the reviews had been great and I'd bought the game, I probably could have written modding tools for certain aspects of the game myself in 4 months, and almost surely with a few community helpers.

And while that may sound presumptuous, I have written a lot of modding tools for Civ III, so I have a better understanding than most of what would be involved. Getting something as polished as what I have for III wouldn't be possible without a lot of help in 4 months (at least with a day job; maybe if I worked at Firaxis), but targeted high-priority items likely would have been. In a way I'd have liked to have taken a stab at it to see how far I could have got before the official tools were released. However, Firaxis needed to at least have the base game in good shape at release to motivate me enough to try that.

Another civ is cool, but not really what is needed. Even my most-played Civ iterations hadn't seen me play 16+ civs in 4 months.

Overall, I'm anticipating AMD's new processors much more than Civ VI's next patch. Eventually I'm sure I'll pick it up, but Firaxis lost their chance to excite me about it in the fall, and the Endless Master Collection was on sale recently so I have plenty of strategy games to keep me occupied for awhile.

The art style grows on you, really. I hope that the art doesn't put you off from contributing to the creation of a competent AI (because as much as Firaxis can improve the AI, the community-made ones are always better).

And yes, AMD Ryzen is also what I'm most looking forward to. I hope that the patch does improve multithreading performance, since I'm planning to get the hexa-core Ryzen soon.

If they continue to streamline it, maybe the useless "My Government" tab will be gone too.

It's useful if you suddenly need to change policies due to, say, a Joint War while your troops are away.

It's useful if you suddenly need to change policies due to, say, a Joint War while your troops are away.

Is it? As far as I know, the My Government tab is not interactive at all. You perform policy changes (whether free or not) in the "Change Policies" tab, and you change the type of your government in the "View Governments" tab. "My Government" is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom