Non-Interventionist President Launches Intervention

GoodEnoughForMe

n.m.s.s.
A piping hot take from both those on the left (i.e., The Intercept) and the right was that glorious leader Trump was a much lower threat than Hillary to intervene in foreign countries and attempt to remove leaders from power/nation build/whatever. In light of Syria, this would also lower the risk, however small, of "war with Russia."

Clearly however, that mindset was for ****s, because in the last hour, America has launched missile strikes on Assad military bases in Syria, in a clear attempt to begin to oust the regime, and the first official US strikes on state targets in the country.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/06/politics/donald-trump-syria-military/index.html

Discuss how epic America is in this thread.

So, what is it called when you authorized multiple cruise missile strikes against another country's military? War?

So, what is it called when you authorized multiple cruise missile strikes against another country's military? War?

No, not really.

Turned out the same as Clinton with missile ejaculations and warmongering. Too bad.

Waiting to see how the chinese are going to react. Arranging to do this right while their premier is visiting (and knowing that they disagree...) it cannot have been just a coincidence.

The time may be coming to consider taking action against the Trump administration.

We pretty much knew this was inevitable no matter what he's said. If it wasn't Syria it'd be N. Korea or Iran. I heard they're looking at sending forces to Somalia as well. With all the tough talk and saber rattling he and Tillerson have been doing did anyone really think there wasn't going to be more war somewhere?

Even though we knew this was going to happen with Clinton as well I kind of feel we'd have been better off since it's doubtful she'd have been throwing horsehocky at so many fans while pissing off a number of our longtime allies at the same time.

Ugh, they both sucked so bad...

On a side note, can anyone explain exactly what all the factions are in Syria? There's US backed rebels that Obama was using, Russian backed Assad, ISIS, and was there another faction? I thought I read somewhere about a militant group backed by Turkey as well. Or is that the same group the US was backing?

I assume the US is backing them as well?

They are getting backing from quite a few powers, the US being one of them. Oddly enough, Turkey is backing them as well.

That's wrong. They had been firing shells across the border at them a while ago and their recent incursion in Syria was aimed at halting their expansion. The US had been working very hard to keep them apart.
Turkey does support Turkmen groups however.

If you launch 60 missiles at a military base, one in this case which is a clear state target, that's uh... war.

No. War is a mutual and continuous conflict. The United States is not actively invading Syria or attacking its military. Your reasoning would define every slave raid or airplane hijacking in history as a war.

But Bush kind of made it possible to respond to "terror" unilaterally with his open ended War on Terror. It's how Bush, Obama and now Trump have been able to kind of do whatever they want in the Middle East.

So this may not be considered a new war, just an attack on another "terrorist regime."

Top Bottom