Trump is not President

• "We have a president who is, essentially, incompetent. Truly, a president who doesn't know what he's doing."
  • "He doesn't have a clue, folks. You can't go around signing little notices that the president signs all the time—executive orders."
  • "Everything's an executive order... because he's playing so much golf, he doesn't have enough time to convince Congress."
  • "This guy plays more golf than people on the PGA Tour."

Trump on Obama

Since we're talking about Trump, I honest to God don't know if he has legitimately said those things, or if this is hyperbole to make a point.

Since we're talking about Trump, I honest to God don't know if he has legitimately said those things, or if this is hyperbole to make a point.
Who needs SNL, right?

Hyperbole to mask his real point is pretty much SOP for Trump. Don't take it too literally but don't discount it as pure hot air. He means at least some of that.

J

https://www.theatlantic.com/enterta...ors-are-giving-up-on-satirizing-trump/515616/

Spoiler here's the article, for those that don't want to click a link :
Jokes about Donald Trump aren’t funny anymore,” The Economist declared in 2015. The magazine took the example of the Roman poet Juvenal, noted practitioner of the art of Satura, who once noted that it was hard not to write satire, when one lived within the corruption and decadence of the “unjust City.” Trump, the magazine noted, “poses a curious inversion to this: He makes satire almost impossible.”

It’s a complaint that has been often articulated about Trump, as the larger-than-life mogul became a larger-than-life presidential candidate became a larger-than-life actual president: How do you mock someone who so readily mocks himself? How do you penetrate those layers of toughness and Teflon to reveal its underlying absurdities? How, as The Economist noted, do you take a tweet like this—“Sorry losers and haters, but my IQ is one of the highest and you all know it! Please don’t feel so stupid or insecure, it’s not your fault”—and make it even more ridiculous?'
One answer: You don’t. That’s the solution come to, at any rate, by Matt Stone and Trey Parker, the creators and writers of, among other works of irreverent pop culture, the long-running show South Park. As Parker told the Australian Broadcasting Company in a recent interview, while promoting the Australian premiere of The Book of Mormon: Making fun of the new U.S. government is more difficult now than it was before, “because satire has become reality.”

Parker noted how challenging it had been for him and Stone to write the last season (season 20) of South Park, which attempted to create a pseudo-Trump through the person of South Park Elementary’s fourth-grade teacher, Mr. Garrison. Mr. Garrison’s political fortunes rose throughout the season, to the extent that its finale—spoiler—found Garrison becoming the 45th president of these United States. It might have been a cheeky take on Trump’s own unconventional rise to power; instead, the season struck something of a sour note. As Esquire put it, “South Park’s 20th Season Was a Failure, and Trey Parker and Matt Stone Know It.”

Those that can, do.
Those that can't, teach.
Those that can't teach, criticize.
Those that can't criticize...what?

J

You've already lost me with the second line. My mother is a teacher and I can tell you those people work their asses off. They are criminally overworked, underpaid, and under-respected. Being a teacher is one of hardest jobs as well. Those people have some integrity, among other things, that I never will.

That is a very old statement. It (usually) means that those unable to go into the field, teach. For example, a disabled combat veteran or a grounded pilot.

J

I don't care. It's incredibly offensive.

You've already lost me with the second line. My mother is a teacher and I can tell you those people work their asses off. They are criminally overworked, underpaid, and under-respected. Being a teacher is one of hardest jobs as well. Those people have some integrity, among other things, that I never will.
Most people who criticize teachers have no clue what it's really like.

Dunno if anyone here knows this, but Canada's current Prime Minister was a teacher before he went into politics. So what do his detractors call him? "Junior, the part-time drama teacher."

"Junior" - because he's the son of another PM, Pierre Eliot Trudeau

"drama teacher" - because that's one of the subjects he taught. They choose to forget that he also taught French, math, and science.

"Never worked a day in his life" is another line that gets trotted out. I have to wonder how often the Reformacons who say these things online would repeat them in person to someone who is a teacher. Probably never. Teachers have to have patience, but there's only so much patience one person can muster when dealing with fools.

Whenever that line is used in a derogatory manner, it speaks volumes about the person using it.

Knowledge and education are the most important aspects of our civilisation, those who provide should be celebrated.

Primary education teachers usually are more involved with their work than secondary education, cause the latter do often just end there due to giving up higher aspiration, while the former have had to care about teaching to kids. At any rate i had more good primary ed teachers than secondary ed. That said... it is sort of hell to teach to people in puberty, so yeah, it is a very difficult job. But some teachers are just crappy personalities, and irresponsible/hacks :)

In Uni you can find bad professors as well. I recall at least two of them, but also three professors i was very fond of.

That is a very old statement. It (usually) means that those unable to go into the field, teach. For example, a disabled combat veteran or a grounded pilot.

J

You're an idiot. It's a derogatory statement about teachers and you ought to know better than this. Good lord.

Moderator Action: This is literally the textbook example of flaming other members. Please discuss civilly, or else find something else to do. FP
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Like it or not, Donald Trump is the President.

My mother is a teacher and I can tell you those people work their asses off. They are criminally overworked, underpaid, and under-respected. Being a teacher is one of hardest jobs as well. Those people have some integrity, among other things, that I never will.

I think teachers do work hard, but it's widely experienced by college students that professors "know it all" in the classroom but refuse to compete in the real world.

Most people who criticize teachers have no clue what it's really like.

Agree. I've only taught as a grad assistant and it was quite challenging.

Whenever that line is used in a derogatory manner, it speaks volumes about the person using it.

Knowledge and education are the most important aspects of our civilisation, those who provide should be celebrated.

I certainly think knowledge is essential. But education can be controversial. The attacks on schools around the world is related to the fact that parents don't always trust what teachers teach - things often contrary to what parents believe. Teachers have a "bully pulpit" to indoctrinate students into their own beliefs.

Exactly. Those that can, do. Those that cannot, pass it on. Maybe substituting 'mentor' for 'teach' would help, but that is not the traditional form. The third line is the critical one.

You're an idiot. It's a derogatory statement about teachers and you ought to know better than this. Good lord.
Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think.

However, your response, this whole conversation, is an example of how Democrats have lost their way. In the rush to judge, the thrust of the statement is lost. I could not have illustrated it better.

Read it again. It is not a derogatory statement about teachers. It's a derogatory statement about those that don't know enough to teach but comment anyway. See how your statement fits into line three?

J

I certainly think knowledge is essential. But education can be controversial. The attacks on schools around the world is related to the fact that parents don't always trust what teachers teach - things often contrary to what parents believe. Teachers have a "bully pulpit" to indoctrinate students into their own beliefs.
Example?

@OP, JR: You're usually more astute than this. It works just like the leaks: Trump's presidency is real; news of his presidency is fake.

Who needs SNL, right?
Hyperbole to mask his real point is pretty much SOP for Trump.

J

Yeah, but there's a problem with hyperbole as a longer-term rhetorical strategy. It leaves one no place to go. Already in the 2/16 news conference, he made the move of indicating that he was now labeling the news "very fake." Diminishing returns on the original "fake." Pathetic. The presidency's a marathon not a sprint (unless one is making it a sprint to impeachment). Don't blow your whole wad, Donny.

Exactly. Those that can, do. Those that cannot, pass it on. Maybe substituting 'mentor' for 'teach' would help, but that is not the traditional form. The third line is the critical one.

I'm a Maths teacher. What is it exactly that I am incapable of doing?

Top Bottom