NotW XLI: Chronomancy Redux [Game Thread]

I love the game setup and premise.

I hate that we have failed you as players.

Also: Y'all shouldn't have lynched me.

I don't think you should have lied about what items you needed (didn't need any), refused to talk/show your item to fellow townies, and say things like "no chronomancy can touch me" that are blatantly not true for a townie to tell.

Well that just topped Midgard III. I was thinking it was a fake ending surely but I guess not, looking at the QTs.

There's not much to say about the setup but that it's kinda ridiculous that eliminating one mafia faction instantly kills all the townies and causes them to lose. Doubly so as it happened with an unexpected WoG, I don't even see how that happened, we all knew Aiolos needed replacing since like forever but Nictel and Zack as random townies got replaced. To sum it up, sorry but I can't say that was anything other than the most disappointing ending to an otherwise very good game I've ever seen.

As there weren't several townies Role PMs that made that explicitly known to defend the Chronomancers it's just not fair on the town. Even if the Chronomancers had tried to come forward and make the situation clear - which they didn't even try - it would still be the town taking the demons' word against the Chronomancers since they'd both say the other had to be wiped out. In effect, the entire game hinged on the incompetence of the Chronomancer team to get themselves all wiped out and most townies could do very little about it. The lynch vote had too little effect, there were certainly far too many anti-lynch powers and too little time, and the apparently non-strength based Demon permakill was a bit much at night so that only a few players' actions really ended up mattering.

Though we did have a fair share of inactive townies and absurdly wasted our potential. The thing that stings I think is we were ridiculously close to winning and could have even with all the setup drawbacks. In other games, true, there have been unexpected insta-losses and I've never really been a fan of that in any scenario, but this just re

Takhisis and Harkonnen, that was still absolutely atrocious by the way. If the Chronomancers lost the game first, you guys were a very close second, the last day in particular. I don't know how you ever got the idea that killing a townie would help and that's on top of a poor job of networking and cooperating with the town, when you had the chance to do so. Especially as our last two scum, Aiolos and Ferris, had been on the vigilante hit-list for Days and Days and we missed several vigs plus a wrong vig of johnhughthom on top of that.

In case anyone missed it in the Role PMs one funny thing to point out though - I did figure I had a non-random role from the start of course, given the Vampire thing. I don't know how anyone was supposed to figure that out anyway, but a funny touch.

I think the Paladins played an amazing game, and if anything the only reason they didn't win was because of my "ridiculous setup".

Earthling you're seriously like a huge arrogant think-tank of bad ideas sometimes and all you end up doing after every game is summing up how everyone sucked.

And Earthling: We did try and two of us got lynched for it.

There was not much more that I could have done at such an early point in the game without signing my own death warrant.

And the clues were there that you needed to protect us. The storm kept getting closer and the only thing stopping that was the rewinding of time. Big clue there that perhaps we were helping to keep all of you alive, no? And you can see why we didn't want to expose ourselves and put that at risk.

My favorite lynch of the game was when Mergle completely figured everything out and got lynched for it, turned up innocent, and then was promptly ignored.

Takhisis and Harkonnen, that was still absolutely atrocious by the way. If the Chronomancers lost the game first, you guys were a very close second, the last day in particular. I don't know how you ever got the idea that killing a townie would help and that's on top of a poor job of networking and cooperating with the town, when you had the chance to do so. Especially as our last two scum, Aiolos and Ferris, had been on the vigilante hit-list for Days and Days and we missed several vigs plus a wrong vig of johnhughthom on top of that.

I wrote a very rude post in response to this but I don't think it is even worth the effort to get mad about this. I'm just sad that I get called out like this. That I personally get blamed for the town's loss because of my "Atrocious" actions.

I thought I played a good game, I took some guesses and listened to my teammates and I listened to people I trusted, and it managed to do me pretty well. I got 2 demons out of 3 and I aided in lynching a chronomancer, using an item voted to me by townies who placed their trust in me.

I stand behind every action I took, and every judgement I had, based on how I was attempting to play the game and I would do it all again.

I never killed anyone I thought was town. I worked using a list of who was clear developed in tandem with townies. With. Townies. Not people solely in my faction.

Just because I didn't tell everyone in the town what I was doing every night and day and what my total intentions were doesn't mean I didn't tell some people, just because you didn't know what I was doing doesn't mean that other townies didn't know. Yeah the group may have been small but I don't go around telling everyone everything, this is mafia...

A fantastic setup wasted on the players TFA. It had all of the makings to be awesome, yet we failed you. It's a shame this game ended the way it did, and I don't disagree with your course of action at all.

Reading through the postgame commentary is usually interesting and rarely something that pisses me off, yet I've managed to come across a new first for me. Earthling, it takes a lot to piss me off nowadays, and even more so to make me even write a post to shoot down some more idiocy.

Well that just topped Midgard III. I was thinking it was a fake ending surely but I guess not, looking at the QTs.

There's not much to say about the setup but that it's kinda ridiculous that eliminating one mafia faction instantly kills all the townies and causes them to lose.

When one designs a game, you don't plan on half the players going inactive.

Doubly so as it happened with an unexpected WoG, I don't even see how that happened, we all knew Aiolos needed replacing since like forever but Nictel and Zack as random townies got replaced. To sum it up, sorry but I can't say that was anything other than the most disappointing ending to an otherwise very good game I've ever seen.

We did? I went through the thread a couple of times, looking for a post by you, or hell, anyone for that matter, saying Aiolos needed replacing. Funny, I couldn't find a single thing. Zack replaced a guy everyone publicly knew wasn't coming back (Abaddon from his ban) and Nictel took over for classical_hero after PM'ing TFA asking for a replacement. So one replacement 'screw up' according to you. That's hardly poor GM'ing.

As there weren't several townies Role PMs that made that explicitly known to defend the Chronomancers it's just not fair on the town. Even if the Chronomancers had tried to come forward and make the situation clear - which they didn't even try - it would still be the town taking the demons' word against the Chronomancers since they'd both say the other had to be wiped out. In effect, the entire game hinged on the incompetence of the Chronomancer team to get themselves all wiped out and most townies could do very little about it.

The bolded is what set me off, and really the reason why I'm here now.

Incompetence? Try again. We were pigeonholed to an extent into what we could and couldn't do. From the start, it was clear there was an anti-Chronomancy sentiment present leftover from the first Chromomancy game. First off, kudos, to TFA for changing it up. Also, I thought he made it abundantly clear through the pregame writeup and opening narrative the Chronomancers were for the town, and when Mergle brought forth as much was immediately blasted and lynched for it, despite being 100% accurate. Before that even, after the first day of seeing what the thoughts of the townies were and seeing the anti-Chronomancy present, I knew there was no safe way for us to roleclaim as Chronomancer so we could start working with the town. We'd have been lynched immediately, and as we saw anyone even hinting the Chronomancers were with the town got FoS'd and all. It wasn't the setup that screwed us - it was the metagame mentality from the townies that automatically assumed the Chronomancers were bad. There's a difference. "Nothing the townies could do about it." They were the reason for it! And, in case you want 'proof,' here's some nuggets I clipped out to showcase the thoughts:

The mercenary heaved a sigh.
"Oh, great. Here I was hoping to enjoy one of these trips without much action. No encounter with a mage of any sort ever brings good."
His Grigori training spoke. He didn't like magic at all, for the nation he grew up in is heavily opposed to anything having to do with the Gods.
"Chronomancy. Bending time. They think they're all-powerful." His tone mocked the Chronomancers, and he broke into a fit of laughter. "I guess they've never met a Caravan like ours."

Surely the mercenary, landlubber, is a filthy Chronomancer. He does have the smell anyway.

Winston can have the circlet, although I'm curious how her degree of nobility compares to that of the countess. Atpg can have the shield to protect her from the inevitable rotten vegetables that will get thrown at her by others, irked by her peppiness. I don't see why we're all beating up on the hermit, just because he's forgotten how to talk to people. I'd like to ask why Backwards Logic the innkeeper's son is Amurite, when both his parents are Hippus. Perhaps it's because he's a chronomancer?

I don't think I trust BSmith. The Spirit mage raised a good point about him, and more recently he's trying to make the Chronomancers sound like the good guys before we even know much about them.

I am not sure. That can indicate, that they are not as bad as demons...
but they are probably still "anti-town". or, at best, neutral

I assume so.

Yes, it does. But it does not make them pro-town

But I've killed a demon, which is a slight more than anyone else has done.

and I'm not saying the chronomancers are by any word good but so far all they've done is heal a dead citizen.

Just some perspective.

Just had a thought while loading the dishwasher...

I think the storm is a timelimit on the game. If we reach the fourth day, we all die. But I suspect that as long as a chronomancer is alive, time rewinds just before we get there.

If I'm right, and guessing 3 chronomancers and 3 demons... we'd better protect the last of the chronomancers. If there is one. If not, we'd better get the next two lynches right or it's curtains.

IMHO you are wrong. You are trying to protect chronomancers - maybe you are one of them?

I think that's a strange idea but I don't think you're right.

OOC: This post just reeks of Perfect Information Syndrome. Your sympathetic attitude towards the chronomancers also reminds me of Diamondeye talking about the saboteurs in Impending Retribution. (While he was technically innocent, he was also looking to be recruited by the mafia. So, for all intents and purposes, he was mafia.)

IC: All in all, what is most troubling is not your display of PIS, but your sympathy towards the chronomancers. Which, I might remind you, are the enemy. Well, at least they're my enemy, even if they might be your allies.

Vote: Mergle

So, you -kind of- agree with me on sending stuff to HarkonnenII but you still go berserk on me?

No cause is excellent unless we get someone scanned or they're killed by Sir Knight.

That's a suspiciously specific denial.

What Day One behaviour?

WHAT? 'Let's keep alive the scum'? Mergle, you're even scummier than civplayah. How would you even know what the chronomancer(s) can do?

Maybe landlubber's the mafia? :p

Yeah, of the candidates for scum today, I think mergle is the most deserving of execution.

Moving on...

The lynch vote had too little effect, there were certainly far too many anti-lynch powers and too little time, and the apparently non-strength based Demon permakill was a bit much at night so that only a few players' actions really ended up mattering.

Now, not having been in any cabals this game I can't say for certain, but it seemed to be a number of townie abilities were being used to great effect. I will say us Chronomancers didn't help ourselves with our ability usage (I didn't want to kill anyone since we were pro-town, Aiolos disappeared, BSmith died early, etc), but calling us crappy and incompetent just reeks of your ego and how awesome you think you are.

Though we did have a fair share of inactive townies and absurdly wasted our potential.

No kidding Sherlock. About time you said something correct. Though even a blind squirrel does find a nut once in a while.

The thing that stings I think is we were ridiculously close to winning and could have even with all the setup drawbacks.

Blame TFA for losing. Right. All praise Earthling, King of the Correct, Defender of all sane ideas, and persecutor of insanity. The Man Is Always Right.

Way to be a gracious loser. They played the game the best by far, worked toward their own goals from the beginning (as any third party team should do) while working with the innocent network. The 'wrong' vig of jht? He was evil! Check off another Evil Townie on their list!

So yea, in conclusion:

Maybe you should just stop playing these games. Clearly, you don't have the right mentality or attitude for it. I'm done.

Earthling that was uncalled for. Criticism should be constructive.

After you died BL I brought up the possibility that chronomancers weren't anti town, but we never really acted on that idea.

I was pretty sure the chronomancers were good, but I didn't say anything cause I didn't want to get lynched.

Considering that I was an evil wizard who was neither demonologist nor chronomancer, yet I died early, I wasn't exactly invested in this game. It is a shame though that all the wizards were sought out and destroyed by both town and demons - it rather destroyed any subtlety within the factions.

This really was a great game. I wish I had been more active in it, honestly.

I can't say I'm that surprised by some of the reactions here.

Yeah, I understand that I shoulda coulda done things differently but I was trying to be a loud outspoken pain in the neck, and pretend to be more powerful than I was, and also not share any information with anyone privately. I felt that would lead to me being murdered since I was a voting threat, possible power role, and not a network information leak.

My main complaint I think was the low number of votes it took to lynch me. It should have been a clue that I was heading to my death without any major attempts to spare myself with a tally that low, something was askew. I felt the team was asleep at the switch on that one. That said, people don't always like the gambits I play and that's valid.

As for captain planet, :lol:

Did you really expect anything different? This should surprise no one by now.

Backwards Logic, the game literally ended because of the Chronomancers' incompetence. The GM himself said so, it's how it went in the writeup, what was said in the dead QT as you can see. Aiolos couldn't give a competent effort towards the game so it was just declared done with and everyone subsequently killed off. What else was the reason - to callously wipe out players from multiple other factions who were still trying for an interesting game? - or the lurking Save_Ferris who was hardly participating and had his team deciding his orders deserved immediate victory?

If there's a need to make constructive criticism out of that, all that can be said is well, don't make an instant game-over condition trigger off of something that the nobody else can prevent. How was the town supposed to force him to be active and not be WoG'd? It was a good game and shaping up greatly, it's all right that it's over now and sure TFA did a good job hosting regardless of rough spots and should be thanked for the game, but the ending was still a disappointment.

I will say I could be less annoyed at Takhisis and the response to his stuff didn't have to go with postgame commentary, but Takhisis spent the entire time, in public and in private, insulting me and civplayah for no other reason than that Takhisis wasn't town. Attacks on civplayah for the claim he didn't like how he posts in other games, constant tirades on his QT, he gave the impression he cared more about insulting townies than going for his victory conditions or playing the game. It is something I guess we can discuss more in private if necessary rather than continue here.

Backwards Logic, the game literally ended because of the Chronomancers' incompetence. The GM himself said so, it's how it went in the writeup, what was said in the dead QT as you can see.

none of that is true. It is true game ended on wogging aiolos an inactive, but don't pretend any of that sentence is true.

Actually, the game ended because the last Chronomancer was inactive and failed to reverse the storm. It wasn't because TFO just felt like ending the game. Every other faction besides the Demons lost, no one could achieve victory after the storm came.

And that's exactly what I said, the remaining Chronomancer couldn't even give an effort towards playing the game and nobody else could do anything about it. It's not that we should blame Aiolos either, he could have gone inactive for any number of reasons which is ok, but it's how it happened and TFA says right here:

I find myself unable to find the energy to allow Aiolos's inactivity to potentially ruin the Demon and Paladin's chances of winning even though he's literally doing nothing, so I am probably going to WoG him and end the game with a Demon Victory

Oh, I never saw that. However, the Demons or Paladins were probably going to win anyway.

Top Bottom