Octopus Overlords Info

Octopus Overlords sounds cool. Do not listen to them!

I think the Cthulhu-style OO are great. That may be because I'm a crazy Lovecraft fan, but I like them anyway and would hate to see some quest which could turn them into some goodly people, even if they once were so.

Just my thought on this whole idea of breaking hastur's party: Having continuous nightmares for millenia is probably not healthy for your mind, even if we are talking about the mind of a god. If there was some kind of awakening quest or something, I think Danalin should awaken completely insane and make his religion even more cruel than it already is. Think about a Cthulhu Dawn scenario and you'll be preety close to what I'm thinking.

Besides, turning OO into good if you awakened the god or something would require a ton more work. They'd need a different civic (Slavery will be gone, of course), and some way to force all civs who have it as a state religion either to convert to the new "good OO" or become no-state-religion, the old heroes would have to be killed and new ones be available for building (You dont really expect Danalin to like Saverous if he awakens sane, do you?) the asylums everywhere would have to be destroyed and replaced with something else...

Woah, lotta work. Much more effective to just spawn a ton of shoggoths for however made the ritual or something

I totally agree, the names do not have to be changed. All of them sound cool and they kinda natural for FFH right now.

I think the Cthulhu-style OO are great. That may be because I'm a crazy Lovecraft fan, but I like them anyway and would hate to see some quest which could turn them into some goodly people, even if they once were so.

I think that is what people are getting wrong. They weren't once good. That religion died when Danalin popped one too many Lunestra. This is a new religion altogether.

Plus, I think an awakening of Danalin would require a God's interference, or at least some kind of super hero such as Kyorlin.

I like the name Octopus Overlords, I don't see why so many people have a problem with it.

Like I said, I think it has to do with the alliteration. And it reminds me of Octopus Ink, from the old TMNT cartoon...

It would be like calling the Ashen Veil, the Dastardly Demons... or the Order, the Angelic Army ...

the Deep Ones, Tentacled Ones, Tentacled Overlords...

Like it was said, read some H.P. Lovercraft and I bet it wont remind you of any cartoons any more. ]:->

'Call of Chutulu' was the best RPG rule book there was till 'Mage:The Ascension' cam out. :D

the 'Cephalopod Charm' religion.

the OO religion backstory should remain 'clouded' in their 'agendas'. Their affinity to haphazardly drive perspective and designated meatbags insane is the reason why I love and worship those cantankerous, mind-*ing P.

[NWO]_Valis;5180552 said:
Like it was said, read some H.P. Lovercraft and I bet it wont remind you of any cartoons any more. ]:->

'Call of Chutulu' was the best RPG rule book there was till 'Mage:The Ascension' cam out. :D

In the spirit of Lovecraft, I gave my suggestion. It is just the nomenclature that bugs me. Nothing else, it is merely cosmetic. I think Lovecraft would have given them a far more colorful name, and uncomfortably long... the Tentacled Masters of the Inky Briny Black or some such thing, perhaps with a rather archaic term or two, and distinctly Briton-ized in type.

CoC was quite a fun RPG, I was a big fan of Pendragon (another game by Chaosium). For those who really hate their characters try mixing CoC with Cyberpunk2020...

"Octopus Overlords" is actually a reference in and of itself. I'm fairly sure that's not what the D&D religion was called - it's the name of another gaming-related website that Kael posts at.

I could be wrong, though. Has happened before.

"Octopus Overlords" is actually a reference in and of itself. I'm fairly sure that's not what the D&D religion was called - it's the name of another gaming-related website that Kael posts at.

I could be wrong, though. Has happened before.

You're right. Its the name of the website I spent most of my time at before I started working on FfH and started posting here (I had about 200 posts here when I uplaoded the first version of FfH).

Although I like the homage for all of my OO friends, if I had to do it all over again I probably would pick another name. At the time I named the religion after them I assumed that only a handful of people there and a handful here would be interested in FfH.

heh heh... looks like the joke was on you then! lol or the overlords!

Are there any plans on involving any of the locations and angels Kael spoke about here with FFH? I think the tower that stole memories sounds awesome and the seven firs would be a good thing to add as well. I always wondered if there could be a religion that kept following Brigit the Shining after Bhall fell. The followers wouldnt have as strong priests or temples since they are only following an angel but could have more unique warrior units.

Yeah, there are a load of cool religions that theoretically could be in FFH, every single god could have a religion, some like Danailin for eg, could have several. The OOs, some sort of cult trying to wake him up etc. I always wanted a religion for the Orcs. But, no more religions will ever be added into the main mod, ever. Everything has to be in threes and sevens, there are 7 religions and seven guilds, three different alignments, 21 gods (7x3) and 21 civs and 21 mana spheres, there are loads more as well.

So, the answer is to either make it yourself as a modmod, or wait until the Ice phase. Then the actual mod will be finished more or less and people can make scenarios for all the cool bits of FFH lore and stories, like the fall of Bhaal and Brigets last stand etc.

would a way aorund that 3, 7, 21 thing is make 21 religions but only make it so 7 are availble per game? that way you get the variety without the deluge of religions per game. it would also make each game much more unique. i think that would be relatively easy to do as you can already choose to remove a religion from your game via the game options.

Yeah but you dont want every other tech to be a religion one and each religion would be far less unique then the current ones. There are only so many things they can do...

i suppose it would be difficult to make 21 unique and fun religions, however i had also asked about the world improvements like adding the seven firs and that tower that stole your memories. the tower could have like a 33% chance of turning any unit that went on it into a barbarian.

You're right. Its the name of the website I spent most of my time at before I started working on FfH and started posting here (I had about 200 posts here when I uplaoded the first version of FfH).

Although I like the homage for all of my OO friends, if I had to do it all over again I probably would pick another name. At the time I named the religion after them I assumed that only a handful of people there and a handful here would be interested in FfH.

I appreciate the homage. Never change it. :(

Edit - And yes, I realize most of this thread is nearly a year old.

I cant believe it someone is borthering with the name of a religion at all :lol:
I enjoy octupus overlords always when i play lanun, the name is fine, actually it does fit in the game very well. From the rpg view i can imagine fisherman who hear the voices and start worshipping this strange power from beneath, as they are certainly not very well educated this name reflects the lack of knowledge of the old times.

Top Bottom