1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Octopus Overlords Info

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by jimi12, Mar 5, 2007.

1. sylvanllewelyn

sylvanllewelyn Perma-newb

How would you wake up a god that chooses to be asleep? You don't.

"Octopus Overlords" sounds fine to me. Can't think of a better name. The real issue I have is why don't you simply say that the religion worships Mammon. Now that Danalin is asleep, what has it got to do with him at all? If his thoughts were all twisted into nightmares, then it really isn't his religion anymore right?

I would even call them an evil religion, but remember in this evil world, you have to be *very* evil to qualify for that.

2. Rex rgis of Ter

Rex rgis of Ter Me I'm a Creator

I like Octopus Overlords as a name, though I hate alliteration. An event in which a group of priests realise Danallin is asleep and controlled by Mannon would be cool. You could either kill the priests for blasphemy or change your alignment 1 towards good.

3. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Danalin isn't contolled by Mammon, only influenced. His dreams are being distorted by Hastur and other angels of Mammon, but they don't really have power over him. What Danalin dreams is an eclectic mix of Danalin's memories, his imaginings, of Hastur's influence, of his reaction to Hastur's influence, and probably some influence from the real world as well.

Danalin isn't actually dreaming of the Overlords, but of another effective dreamer like himself: Hemah. It is Hemah's dreams that created the Overlords.

Folowers of the Overlords aren't really worshipping either Danalin or Mammon, but various the superstitions they themselves created to explain the creations of Hemah's dreams.

4. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

A few here and a few there? Kael, half the people on this forum worship you as their GOD!

5. reveler

reveler Chieftain

I play OO most of my games as it has the only additional sages without going all out evil, also they remind me of the Kraken Society which is sadly never featured in the BG-Series. For balance reasons I would be aginst another good religion anyway.

Good thing you can now eliminate some religions to add new twists to your games.

6. it-ogo

it-ogo Hedgehog

Names:

Abyssal Dream
    Deep Truth
    Resurface of Power (like Renaissance)

:D

7. it-ogo

it-ogo Hedgehog

BTW cult of the Dead God or Drowned God described by George Martin feats OO good.

8. TravellingHat

TravellingHat Chieftain

Going back a few posts, Brigit being imprisoned in the frozen north could make for an intersting special improvement (Yggdrasil etc). Like the Lentus, it needn't have any actual effect, and could be lore-based scenery. Perhaps (if this is even possible) it could only spawn on floating ice, so it couldn't actually be reached.

On the OO subject, I like the name and see nothing wrong with aliteration in moderation! One of my favourite religions, although I am currently fighting an Esus addiction. The theme of the religion works well (sure, you can learn more, but it may turn you into a gibbering loon), which is Cthulhuesque without too directly lifting from Lovecraft.

9. Aradiel

Aradiel Chieftain

This throws up some questions for me... Does Danalin actually care if anybody worships him? Would he care if the world is consumed by demons and mankind extinct? What would happen when he realises that his mind has been tortured for eons? This leads me to the idea that there should be a possibility to awake danalin. There should be a wonder that requires like 12 temples to build and the necronomicon, maybe some sort of upgrade to it like the altar of lunnotar. Even if danalin does not care there could be some benefits like gifts in form of water resource spawns, free kraken units, and eventually an avatar of the god.

10. Farmer Bobathan

Farmer Bobathan Sanity is for the weak

going back to the awake danalin quest, what could be done is make a totally new religion because people stick to their old ways. Like in real life when christianity was discovered it didn't obsolete judaism.

11. Eldric IV

Eldric IV Chieftain

Octopus Overlords is my favorite religion. In my first game of FFH (0.23), I founded the religion just to have access to slavery. When I heard their music, I was hooked (and I laughed, because the rest of the song is just not appropriate to them).

I agree that Octopus Overlords is not a particularly fitting name in the company of Ashen Veil, Fellowship of the Leaves, Runes of Kilmorph, etc. It fits but it seems like a joke (and the alliteration is not a problem for me; I love alliteration). Unfortunately, I cannot think of a name I like better (considering the traction OO has already gained; I also like that OO looks like someone is surprised - "You worship what?").

12. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

Meh, I don't have any specific problems about the name. IMO, something like ''The Deep'' would have been better though. I think the OO could do with something extra actually, esp' since they lost slavery, maybe a unique evil naval unit, Or some sort of Pool of the Overlords, can only be built in coastal towns, summons krackens, turtles, sea serpents, leviathan (LOL!).

13. Blakmane

Blakmane Chieftain

Isn't the OO religion actually worshipping the octopus overlords, not danalin/mammon? Of course, the overlords are only gaining their power through the corrupted dreams of danalin (via mammon), but noone but the overlords themselves would know this presumably.

14. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

Well, there's no need to change OO.
    If you want to be the most authentic, you can call it "The Ancient Ones", as Lawcraft called his ancient aliens, or "The Deep Ones", as was mentioned in some fanfics and games.

I also think that people worshipping OO are worshipping Octopus Overlords, strange terrible Rulers From Beneath. It's even reflected in the religion's description - the people leaving near coast hear voices from beneath and become mind-controlled.

I want to ask Kael - what made you to call the Lanun capital directly "Innsmouth", you took the original name for the city but not for the religion/deities. Well I just want to know what made you to do such a strange and nice thing :).
    {{The first time I saw Lanun I almost yelled: Look, it's Innsmouth!!!}}

15. OctopusOverload

OctopusOverload Cultist

Deon: I fairly sure that the Ancient Ones and the Deep Ones are different entities.

As for OO: I really like the name and resist any changes to it.

16. Kael

Kael Chieftain

Its an homage to Lovecraft. They arent the most "piratey" names but the Lanun has such a nice synergy with the Overlords that I slipped in a few Lovecraft names for their cities.

17. El_Duderino

El_Duderino Chieftain

i never read much lovecraft and i have seen a few movies based off his work, but what reminds me of OO is the cult of the dark one from quest for glory 4 (yes i know it is a lovecraft homage in itself) but i was thinking rather than having the necronomicon as the holy building (its a book)for OO perhaps have something like the cult's cave in QG4 (for those who never played the game it looked like a giant folislized squid/octopus type creature

18. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

19. Tortanick

Tortanick Chieftain

Now I want to hear the rest of the song. what's it called?

20. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

How much are OO powerful? I mean: "Can God dream of a stone so heavy that he cannot move it?"