1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Off Topic reorganization

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ori, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

So it was first-come first-serve then? You had to be here originally in order to be deserving of post count? Well, that explains why IOT doesn't get post count by NES does, even though they are the same exact thing.

No, I don't see much of a difference between the two. Both forums have sanctioned spam threads that get archived at 1000 posts, both have a very serious side to it, and both have a "lighter" side that tags along. The only differences I see are that one is more popular than the other, and one gets PC and the other doesn't.

And I'm not here to rack up post count and show off my e-penis, I like post count as an indication of how much work I've put into this community. It shows me how much time I've spent here, for better or for worse, contributing to the CFC community as a whole, which I hold dear. It's a massive slap in the face for the community to say back that my posts don't count, or are inferior to the others just because I choose to enjoy some forums over the others. I enjoy IOT over NES, I enjoy the "lite" OT over the serious one, and I don't touch any of the other Colosseum forums majorly because I'm not into sports, A&E, and I'm not smart enough for history. Yet, apparently my choices are wrong. My contributions don't count towards this community, or, the mods don't want my contribution towards this community, I don't know. It's very hurtful to know that I don't count, that I'm second class to other posters because of what sections of the site I enjoy, especially since I can't just leave and find another forum. I've tried, and I've yet to find another forum as dynamic, fun, and as full of interesting people as this one. So I'm stuck here because I love the community, and at the same time rejected by the same community. It's a craptastic position that I'm in, and I wish it wasn't so.

Also, I don't really give a damn about where the rules are stricter and where they are relaxed, honestly. As before the split, I'm still only going to post where I find an interesting topic and where I have something to say. The split only makes that harder in that I have two forums to check, and in one of them my contribution isn't deemed worthy of the community.

2. holy king

holy king Chieftain

letting people vote with their feet could as well have meant to keep ot and offer something new besides it, then watch how it turns out instead of killing ot and offering two new things that arent ot as replacement.

3. kramerfan86

kramerfan86 Chieftain

Oh so this wasnt just a joke then? That's unfortunate, trying to follow two forums that essentially cover the same topics but different moderation standards will get old.

4. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Yes I still have no idea why they didn't just make a new subforum alongside OT. I mean, they have told me why. But it just seems too stupid to believe. I would have to radically lower my estimation of the average human's intelligence to believe that what they're saying is sincere.

I also have no idea why this was done on April Fool's day. What a ******** way of managing a changeover like this.

What Joecoolyo said is damn important.

5. holy king

holy king Chieftain

what did they say?

6. Takhisis

Takhisis is it fall yet

Read post #241 on this same page.

Edit: I see it's about what the mods say, read farther above for that.

7. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

This. I would also like to read some arguments why killing off OT was preferred over creating a spammy subforum. And announcing it on 1st April seems to me like an poor way how to handle such a change.

8. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

No one cares about postcount. If they did, they would post in the SRS BZNS OT.

EDIT: Looks like I just did, by mistake ;) I'll refrain from posting "onwards" in a PBEM game as a penance.

9. holy king

holy king Chieftain

i'm inclined to think this is a still ongoing april fool's joke simply because of how incredibly idiotic each and every aspect of the change is.

10. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

We could be sure only after one weak at least.

11. ParadigmShifter

It obviously is ;) Look how many mods are spamming, and there's no other April Fool's candidate. They spend about a week planning them, or so I have heard.

12. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

I can't tell whether it's real or not. That bothers me a lot.

13. ParadigmShifter

Then they win, hunnibunz ;) Don't let it bother you.

14. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Im also worried about self-fulfilling prophecies and such. As in people will go out of their way to make a thread in the light section overly silly than they would normally. Silliness is actually pretty good, but in moderate amounts.

15. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

I think the issue is more that the approach to both spam and trolling were not productive ones. The real question is one of disruption and derailing topics. The fact that some people are really thin skinned when it comes to "trolling" shouldn't have been justification for the infracting of a lot of posts that push people and point out the contradictions of their positions, no matter how snarkily the one liner is delivered. And by the same token the many "spam" posts that don't really add to the discussions, but don't really detract from them either should have been unworthy of moderator attention. So yes, OT has been too much of moderator workload. But you bring a lot of that on yourselves.

16. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

But it's not funny.

17. Owen Glyndwr

Owen Glyndwr La Femme Moderne

I'm going to quote this and leave it here, less the IOT bit (which, as one of the first IOTers, I still wholeheartedly don't agree with) because I get the sense that this post isn't getting read enough when it certainly should be read more. Moderators, if you are still confused as to why all the older members are griping so much, here is why, put into a succinct, cogent argument.

18. tycoonist

tycoonist Chieftain

It's an April Fool's joke. It's not funny, cause everyone called the mods out on it, but it's a joke.

Or it's just stupid. Either way, I'm out. Bookmarks deleted, later OT.

19. CommonKnowledge

CommonKnowledge Chieftain

Can't see how it's anything other than an April Fool's joke. However since it's been going on for three or four days now the joke wore thin long ago. Not to mention it isn't an April Fool's joke unless it's on April 1st - otherwise it's just a bad joke.

I mean putting cling foil over the toilet on April 1st to catch someone out taking a slash is funny but if you do it four days straight you're just a numpty, and someone else will have very wet feet.

20. Eat_Up_Martha

Eat_Up_Martha Chieftain

The hope that this was just a poorly executed April Fool's joke is quickly fading. For the record, I am not liking this new set up at all.