Official Firaxis Civilization IV Modding Contest

The content was taken down for a tweak by 2K, but should be back up shortly.

My concern is that 99.9% of the entries will be in category 1 and the rest in the three other categories.

There are quite a few scenarios out there, map scripts may be a bit limited since there aren't a lot of people working on them.

I imagine the US only limitiation is because of the prize they're giving away and the difficulty in handling that internationally. He wrote that they already had the computers in their possession which means they'll have all of the US versions of Windows and the other software on them so I can understand the limitation. You can get around that though, just team up with somebody you trust that's in the US and get them to be the 'entrant' or primary contact for your 'team' and then you can enter, just hope they send you the prize if you win :)

On a side note, if you are a student, you can certainly gain sponsorship from a professor/teacher if you would like to enter a full mod (educational of course) under the education category. Just something to think about.

Canada, is this an American State ?

Not for this contest I fear :(

Not even Arizona, Maryland, North Dakota, and Vermont are American states for THIS contest! :lol:

I guess it's beyond the scope of this contest to hire an international team of lawyers just to give out 8,000 dollars worth of computers.

I imagine the US only limitiation is because of the prize they're giving away and the difficulty in handling that internationally. He wrote that they already had the computers in their possession which means they'll have all of the US versions of Windows and the other software on them so I can understand the limitation. You can get around that though, just team up with somebody you trust that's in the US and get them to be the 'entrant' or primary contact for your 'team' and then you can enter, just hope they send you the prize if you win :)
Shipping should be easy compared to the hassle of making rules that follow the laws of all the different countries.

• Best In-Game Asset (art, including units, buildings and/or wonders)
Does this category include Terrain art?

can Kael take part, using my Art for FfH II ? I mean, he is US, can he use the art of FfH II, despite me creating it? I would wish he could!

can Kael take part, using my Art for FfH II ? I mean, he is US, can he use the art of FfH II, despite me creating it? I would wish he could!

Yes since FFH is a Team Effort and he is the Mod Team Leader ;)

America could have 95% of the player base, but it still would only make 5% of the talent.
Another grossly untrue exaggeration. We have some of the greatest modders from the US ... Like Kael and TheLopez, Seven05 and Snafusmith, and others. Sure, seZereth, C. Roland, and you, Dale, are from other countries (with other talented modders), but the US has a hefty supply of experienced modders that have given their contributions to CIV4!

To me it's another typical display of "we're better than the rest of the world" from a yank company.
That's coz we are better than the rest of world ;)
Naturally that's not the reason why only the US is included, but doesn't mean it's not true :p

I famous! :)

Now I have to run off and sign up for some college courses so I can submit my mod as an educational mod.

Can I submit one of my existing LH's? Or are these just for full blown mods?
EDIT nevermind I read...
*reads rules :p
If you guys are that bent out of shape move to the US. :p

I bet there are plenty of American folk who would submit the mod for you and claim the prize in your stead.

Hell, if you agree to pay the shipping plus an extra $100 for my trouble, I'll submit the mod and ship the prize to you if you win!

EDIT: Obviously, this is against the official Firaxis rules, so something of this nature would have to be done purely by email or telephone.

That's coz we are better than the rest of world ;)

I ain't touching that with a ten-foot clown pole. :p

But seriously, the "commitment" (for want of a better word) of US companies to their own country is very "discriminating" (for want of another better word) against the rest of the world.

But enough of that, this threads about the competition. Good luck to those who enter. :)

Top Bottom