1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Firaxis Civilization IV Modding Contest

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by dshirk, Dec 19, 2007.

1. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

Good luck all who will participate :thumbsup:

2. dshirk

dshirk Firaxian

The content was taken down for a tweak by 2K, but should be back up shortly.

3. cephalo

cephalo Deity

It's unfortunate that it's U.S. only. Probably more than half of the modders here are from everywhere else.

4. woodelf

woodelf Bard

My concern is that 99.9% of the entries will be in category 1 and the rest in the three other categories.

5. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

There are quite a few scenarios out there, map scripts may be a bit limited since there aren't a lot of people working on them.

I imagine the US only limitiation is because of the prize they're giving away and the difficulty in handling that internationally. He wrote that they already had the computers in their possession which means they'll have all of the US versions of Windows and the other software on them so I can understand the limitation. You can get around that though, just team up with somebody you trust that's in the US and get them to be the 'entrant' or primary contact for your 'team' and then you can enter, just hope they send you the prize if you win :)

6. dshirk

dshirk Firaxian

On a side note, if you are a student, you can certainly gain sponsorship from a professor/teacher if you would like to enter a full mod (educational of course) under the education category. Just something to think about.

7. C.Roland

C.Roland FFH Art team member

8. cephalo

cephalo Deity

Not even Arizona, Maryland, North Dakota, and Vermont are American states for THIS contest! :lol:

I guess it's beyond the scope of this contest to hire an international team of lawyers just to give out 8,000 dollars worth of computers.

9. snarko

snarko DLLer

Shipping should be easy compared to the hassle of making rules that follow the laws of all the different countries.

10. Grifftavian

Grifftavian Emperor

All Right, Civilization 4 Complete finally available in the USA:)

11. White Elk

White Elk 99 > 1

Does this category include Terrain art?

12. seZereth

seZereth FfH´s art monk(ey)

can Kael take part, using my Art for FfH II ? I mean, he is US, can he use the art of FfH II, despite me creating it? I would wish he could!

13. Shqype

Shqype Shqyptar

Yes since FFH is a Team Effort and he is the Mod Team Leader ;)

Another grossly untrue exaggeration. We have some of the greatest modders from the US ... Like Kael and TheLopez, Seven05 and Snafusmith, and others. Sure, seZereth, C. Roland, and you, Dale, are from other countries (with other talented modders), but the US has a hefty supply of experienced modders that have given their contributions to CIV4!

That's coz we are better than the rest of world ;)
    Naturally that's not the reason why only the US is included, but doesn't mean it's not true :p

14. Seven05

Seven05 Warmonger

I famous! :)

Now I have to run off and sign up for some college courses so I can submit my mod as an educational mod.

15. Ball Lightning

Ball Lightning www.sporedum.net

Why only america!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is terrible..

Is this for totally new mods? Or can already exsisting ones be used?

16. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Well, I would, but.... :cringe:

I had some really nice new units too :(

17. White Elk

White Elk 99 > 1

18. dutchking

dutchking Deity

Can I submit one of my existing LH's? Or are these just for full blown mods?
    EDIT nevermind I read...
    *reads rules :p
    If you guys are that bent out of shape move to the US. :p

19. OTAKUjbski

OTAKUjbski TK421

I bet there are plenty of American folk who would submit the mod for you and claim the prize in your stead.

Hell, if you agree to pay the shipping plus an extra $100 for my trouble, I'll submit the mod and ship the prize to you if you win!

EDIT: Obviously, this is against the official Firaxis rules, so something of this nature would have to be done purely by email or telephone.

20. Dale

Dale Deity

I ain't touching that with a ten-foot clown pole. :p

But seriously, the "commitment" (for want of a better word) of US companies to their own country is very "discriminating" (for want of another better word) against the rest of the world.

But enough of that, this threads about the competition. Good luck to those who enter. :)