"Oh So Very Many Questions Than Before Not Worth Their Own Thread" Thread Vol. XXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that the case in Russia too?

Crowding, poor construction, houses are built out of wood, most of the country's a large piece of jungle anyway. That, and being ruled by a drug lord, is what is the cause of Paraguay's woes.

Were the Hebrews the first people to have festivals and holidays?

Certainly not. Every culture has it's own festivals and celebrations, and I'm fairly certain the earliest civilizations left records of them. For instance, I vaguely recLl one important ancient Egyptian festival(the heb sed, I think it's called that) where the pharaoh was supposed to run around for some reason; one of the earliest pharaohs, Den (I think) was depicted partaking in that and he is like the fifth pharaoh (or something) in traditional Egyptian chronology, ruling in the early 2000s BCE.

As far back as the last Ice Age, Neanderthals had religious observances, but regular, annual observances weren't likely conducted until the age of cities amongst the Sumerians and so on. Menes, traditionally held to be the first Pharaoh of Upper and Lower Egypt, is said to have ruled around 3,100 - 3,000 BC.

Is April Fool's Day a mostly British thing or do they have it everywhere?

(I realise people everywhere can join in via forums like this one but that's not really what I mean)

(I realise people everywhere can join in via forums like this one but that's not really what I mean)

Nope. We celebrate it here in America, at least.

Nope. We celebrate it here in America, at least.
Interestingly, there's a similar tradition for pranks on the 28th of December, in Latin America. I always take advantage of multiculturalism to pull pranks on people on both occasions.

According to Wikipedia it's mostly a North American + European thing.
We have it in Germany, and in the Netherlands as well.

In Russia, April Fools observe YOU!

So giving Crimea to Ukraine all those years ago was just the setup for a very elaborate April Fool prank?

Can anyone explain what the difference is between a U.S. state and a province?

Also, what's this about state citizenship?
So giving Crimea to Ukraine all those years ago was just the setup for a very elaborate April Fool prank?
Why not?

Can anyone explain what the difference is between a U.S. state and a province?

I assume you mean US Territories?

US Territories are lands the United States owns but which have not been admitted as states of the Union yet. All residents of a US Territory are citizens of the United States and can travel freely to any state in the US. They participate in presidential primaries. They do not get representatives or senators in congress and do not get to vote in presidential elections. They're subject to federal laws, but the governance of their territory is done largely autonomously, iirc.

The most prominent territories right now are Puerto Rico and Guam, although other notables include The US Virgin Islands and American Samoa.

No, no, I meant states, but the definition of a territory is also helpful.
From what I've started to find out, U.S. states have their own penal codes and so forth while provinces in, say, Argentina can only have separate procedural codes and the bottomline legislation is always federal. It's about the degree of autonomy.

I think it varies country to country enough so that there is no hard and fast definition which will serve all cases. In some countries the provinces are entirely administrative divisions of the nation. The US states have a much stronger legal entity status than that. But some nations may allow provinces more legal autonomy in domestic policies than US states currently enjoy. However not that long in the past US states had far more legal autonomy than they do now.

In my spare time I've been reading a humungous rant on how states' rights have been progressively curtailed by the evul Fedz. Apparently the difference lies in part on historical evolution, Argentina became a far more unitary state -in practice- after unification in the second half of the 19th century while the provinces' autonomy before that sometimes mean that they were de facto independent states.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom