Only 1 shooting this week so far

peter grimes

Retired Moderator
This time, right in my old neck of the woods!

http://www.wfsb.com/category/216668/wfsb-eyewitness-news-livestream-1

http://www.wfsb.com/story/20345707/school-shooting-reported-in-newtown
Connecticut State Police said they were assisting Newtown police after a shooting was reported inside a Newtown school Friday morning.

The shooting was reported at Sandy Hook Elementary School around 9:41 a.m., according to Connecticut State Police. Few details have been released during this unfolding situation, but state police said this is one of the worst shootings emergency officials have seen in a long time.

I'm gonna guess this person is mentally not stable yet the firearms were purchased completely legally.

I heard on that same livestream that someone was brought out with a gun wound to his foot. The radio just said 3 people were injured, no idea if that includes the foot guy and the gunman.

They said that the kids had to be walked past the office, and that they were told to close their eyes.

ugh.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: This is an American tradition and is seemingly impossible to prevent.

Another shooting this morning. At a school. I do not understand why teachers are not armed to deter this sort of thing.

Lol they're reporting the gunman might have been staff or a teacher. Most schools are pretty closed off to outsiders these days. Better give the kids guns too. To be on the safe side. Naturally.

I don't think that is the reason why suicides don't make headline news. They are simply so pervasive they aren't really news at all, unless it was related to another story like the nurse in London.

It is now being reported on Peter's livestream URL he posted above that 27 are dead, "the huge majority being children". This is apparently even greater than the death toll at Columbine, and it's an elementary school...

It's irresponsible of the media to report on shootings like they do - shootings should be treated like suicides by the media - minimal coverage, to discourage copycats.

Got a problem with freedom of the press buddy? Can you walk ten paces standing up straight or is your tendency to lean to the left too severe to manage it?

27 dead... :(

It's irresponsible of the media to report on shootings like they do - shootings should be treated like suicides by the media - minimal coverage, to discourage copycats.

Indeed it is. I would support regulation to enforce just such a policy...

That's a really interesting point. Contrast the coverage of this crime with the coverage of two recent subway deaths here in New York.

In the first, a man pushed a guy onto the tracks, the victim was not able to get himself to a safe area, and was killed. There was a front Page full color photo of the victim staring at the train moments before the collision.

The second incident, a few days later, was a suicide. It wasn't mentioned by any news outlets that I'm aware of.

Now we have this Sandy Hook catastrophe. Massive coverage.

But I'm not sure the correct method is to *not* cover it. :dunno:

I don't think that is the reason why suicides don't make headline news. They are simply so pervasive they aren't really news at all, unless it was related to another story like the nurse in London.

It is now being reported on Peter's livestream URL he posted above that 27 are dead, "the huge majority being children". This is apparently even greater than the death toll at Columbine, and it's an elementary school...

Inconceivable.

Eighteen of the 27 dead are apparently children. "The bulk of the bodies are in one location", but there are other victims "scattered through the building".

He is supposedly dead. The principal was also killed.

You can't talk about gun control yet though. It's too soon.

It is now being reported that two semi-automatic weapons were recovered.

I don't think that is the reason why suicides don't make headline news.

No, it definitely is the reason, I know several people who work in both media and who do suicide prevention work. Most suicides don't even make local news, and if they do, they're not reported as "suicides", they're simply reported as "police don't suspect foul play".

Got a problem with freedom of the press buddy? Can you walk ten paces standing up straight or is your tendency to lean to the left too severe to manage it?

You obviously don't pay much attention to what I write.

If you support unrestricted media coverage of shootings, you're essentially supporting more shootings.

News coverage I've seen is very confused. Possible second shooter in custody?

Top Bottom