1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Parents of 'ex-gay' student threaten lawsuits

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Talkie_Toaster, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Talkie_Toaster

Talkie_Toaster I toast, therefore I am

These people have the nerve to threaten lawsuits? They should be arrested on charges of kidnap and false imprisonment!

2. Bill3000

Bill3000 OOOH NOOOOOOO! Supporter

...couldn't he move out? :shake:

I mean he's 23!

3. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

sickos, their child is 23 now, that makes it kidnapping (err, adultnapping), the church movement should promise "emotional damage guaranteed through the holy power of brainwashing through Jesus Christ" instead

4. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

He's 23. His parents can't legally force him into anything, so either he's pretty weak willed or he's financially dependent. The solution to both of those would be to simply cut himself off from his parents. Now if, his parents took away his money, cellphone and car, they should he held legally responsible for that, plus kidnapping.

5. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

I laughed. A lot. I could see if he was 15. But 23? Time to cut the rope.

...And how the hell did his parents just now find out he was gay?

6. Talkie_Toaster

Well, I'm guessing that he knew they'd try something insane like this, and so kept it a secret from them.

7. Mowque

Mowque Hypermodernist

So, as long as he is old enough, we can do whatever we want?

8. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

But even so, how can a parent not know their son or daughter is gay. You've got to be pretty dense not to know. At least, I think so.

Maybe what I said came out wrong. I think the parents are in the wrong, but so is the boyfriend for acting like Bryce has been "kidnapped". No one "forced" him to go. He went of his own accord. To say he has no choice is ridiculous, unless the parents did something so out there that gave him no choice. Even worse, he's 23. He's an adult. He should be off on his own by now.

To me, the whole thing is funny.

9. Bill3000

Having your money, car, and keys taken away is a "choice"? :confused:

10. Talkie_Toaster

Do you really think that someone who's comfortable enough with it to have a boyfriend is gonna go of their own accord? I think his parents pretty much forced him into it tbh. Which given what they do to people at these places is downright evil.

11. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

As I said prior, I could understand if he was a minor, then you'd have a good argument for him being "forced" to go. The thing is, though, that he's 23. That makes him an adult. And unless he's physically disabled, then he's not exactly dependent on his parents. He could always, you know, move out and/or move in with a friend (Like with his boyfriend).

His parents would have had to do something mega-extreme for him to have been "forced" into going.

12. Talkie_Toaster

You think adults can't be coerced into doing things against their will?

13. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

They probably threatened him by telling him they'd disown and disinherit him.

14. Bill3000

I'm pretty sure he'd rather be disowned.

15. Bei1052

Bei1052 Emperor

Sure they can, but that usually involves something extreme. Taking away his phone, money or car when he's 23 and living at home doesn't really fit the bill of extreme for me, seeing as how he could always move out and start accumulating his own stuff.

16. Turner

Evidently not, as he did nothing to leave.

17. Bill3000

How do you leave without money, a method of transportation, and/or contacts to help you move out? :confused:

18. Turner

It's not hard to get out of homelessness. I did it twice myself.

Whatever threat they used, it was enough to keep him at home. I'll be the first to admit that it's a supposition.

19. dwaxe

dwaxe is not a fanatic

Most stories about lawsuits and court cases give 10% of the necessary and pertinent information.

It seems that this is thread is the same, so it is difficult to make an objective judgment.

20. woody60707

woody60707 Deity

This is wrong. The parents stop letting their 23yr old (how can I bolded this more!) son use their phone, car, and money. And now the BF is all butthurt that that mommy and daddy won't pay for his BF's phone, car, and spending money. :rolleyes:

This has to be fake. This is some rejected sitcom, right? Look, this is what happens when you date IMMATURE guys. I've personal seen this story play out almost half a dozen times. "how, his such a great guy, it's all his parents fault"

Your dating a guy who still LIVES and has everything PAID for by his parents. What the F where you thinking?