Parents of 'ex-gay' student threaten lawsuits

Talkie_Toaster

I toast, therefore I am
http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-13340.html said:
The parents of a US student who is thought to be in 'ex-gay' therapy have threatened legal action over a website set up to find him, his boyfriend has said.

Bryce Faulkner, 23, is believed to be at an Exodus International ministry in Florida after his parents discovered he was gay.

His friends have said he had no choice as his parents took away his phone, his car and his money.

His boyfriend Trarvis Swanson, 24, and gay rights activist Reverend Brett Harris have set up a website urging people to help find him.

Swanson told PinkNews.co.uk: "Bryce’s parents both called me and left messages threatening lawsuits and have contacted Rev Harris saying the same thing. They said they want [the website] removed immediately.

"They have been informed that the only way that will happen is if Bryce tells me face to face alone that he wants it down. Mrs Faulkner assures us that will never happen. We told her in that case the site and movement will continue forward stronger than ever.

"She keeps telling us Bryce has known about the site for weeks and has talked to reporters about how silly it is but she refuses to say which publications they belong to. He has not talked to any that I have talked to, which is many from around the world."

Last week, Swanson said he had spoken Faulker briefly as he was being taken to the ministry.

In the tearful phone call, Faulkner described the "hateful" things he had been told about his homosexuality and described being made to read Bible passages.

Swanson said a friend of the family had heard Faulkner would be in Mississippi for three weeks and then in Florida for 14 months.

Exodus International has six ministries and 16 churches in Florida. Swanson believes Faulkner may be at one in Pensacola.

The church movement promises "freedom from homosexuality through the power of Jesus Christ".

Gay rights activists have said the controversial therapy does not work and can be deeply damaging.

It typically involves repeating Bible passages, periods of silence and no contact with the outside world.
These people have the nerve to threaten lawsuits? They should be arrested on charges of kidnap and false imprisonment!

...couldn't he move out? :shake:

I mean he's 23!

sickos, their child is 23 now, that makes it kidnapping (err, adultnapping), the church movement should promise "emotional damage guaranteed through the holy power of brainwashing through Jesus Christ" instead

He's 23. His parents can't legally force him into anything, so either he's pretty weak willed or he's financially dependent. The solution to both of those would be to simply cut himself off from his parents. Now if, his parents took away his money, cellphone and car, they should he held legally responsible for that, plus kidnapping.

I laughed. A lot. I could see if he was 15. But 23? Time to cut the rope.

...And how the hell did his parents just now find out he was gay?

Well, I'm guessing that he knew they'd try something insane like this, and so kept it a secret from them.

But even so, how can a parent not know their son or daughter is gay. You've got to be pretty dense not to know. At least, I think so.

Mowque said:
So, as long as he is old enough, we can do whatever we want?

Maybe what I said came out wrong. I think the parents are in the wrong, but so is the boyfriend for acting like Bryce has been "kidnapped". No one "forced" him to go. He went of his own accord. To say he has no choice is ridiculous, unless the parents did something so out there that gave him no choice. Even worse, he's 23. He's an adult. He should be off on his own by now.

To me, the whole thing is funny.

Maybe what I said came out wrong. I think the parents are in the wrong, but so is the boyfriend for acting like Bryce has been "kidnapped". No one "forced" him to go. He went of his own accord. To say he has no choice is ridiculous, unless the parents did something so out there that gave him no choice. Even worse, he's 23. He's an adult. He should be off on his own by now.

Having your money, car, and keys taken away is a "choice"? :confused:

To me, the whole thing is funny.

Do you really think that someone who's comfortable enough with it to have a boyfriend is gonna go of their own accord? I think his parents pretty much forced him into it tbh. Which given what they do to people at these places is downright evil.

Having your money, car, and keys taken away is a "choice"? :confused:

Talkie_Toaster said:
Do you really think that someone who's comfortable enough with it to have a boyfriend is gonna go of their own accord? I think his parents pretty much forced him into it tbh. Which given what they do to people at these places is downright evil.

As I said prior, I could understand if he was a minor, then you'd have a good argument for him being "forced" to go. The thing is, though, that he's 23. That makes him an adult. And unless he's physically disabled, then he's not exactly dependent on his parents. He could always, you know, move out and/or move in with a friend (Like with his boyfriend).

His parents would have had to do something mega-extreme for him to have been "forced" into going.

As I said prior, I could understand if he was a minor, then you'd have a good argument for him being "forced" to go. The thing is, though, that he's 23. That makes him an adult. And unless he's physically disabled, then he's not exactly dependent on his parents. He could always, you know, move out and/or move in with a friend (Like with his boyfriend).

You think adults can't be coerced into doing things against their will?

They probably threatened him by telling him they'd disown and disinherit him.

I'm pretty sure he'd rather be disowned.

You think adults can't be coerced into doing things against their will?

Sure they can, but that usually involves something extreme. Taking away his phone, money or car when he's 23 and living at home doesn't really fit the bill of extreme for me, seeing as how he could always move out and start accumulating his own stuff.

Evidently not, as he did nothing to leave.

How do you leave without money, a method of transportation, and/or contacts to help you move out? :confused:

It's not hard to get out of homelessness. I did it twice myself.

Whatever threat they used, it was enough to keep him at home. I'll be the first to admit that it's a supposition.

Most stories about lawsuits and court cases give 10% of the necessary and pertinent information.

It seems that this is thread is the same, so it is difficult to make an objective judgment.

his parents took away his phone, his car and his money.
This is wrong. The parents stop letting their 23yr old (how can I bolded this more!) son use their phone, car, and money. And now the BF is all butthurt that that mommy and daddy won't pay for his BF's phone, car, and spending money. :rolleyes:

This has to be fake. This is some rejected sitcom, right? Look, this is what happens when you date IMMATURE guys. I've personal seen this story play out almost half a dozen times. "how, his such a great guy, it's all his parents fault"

Your dating a guy who still LIVES and has everything PAID for by his parents. What the F where you thinking?

Top Bottom