1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Minimum Wage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by CIVPhilzilla, Jun 18, 2006.

?

What to do with minimum wage?

1. Raise it to keep purchasing power of earlier minimum wages.

37 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Abolish the federally mandated minimum wage and allow localities to determine the value.

13 vote(s)
    13.7%
  3. Raise it considerably so people can live confortably off of it.

15 vote(s)
    15.8%
  4. Raise it so everybody gets the same wage across the board.

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  5. Abolish it all together.

18 vote(s)
    18.9%
  6. Other (Explain)

11 vote(s)
    11.6%
  1. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Fair enough, but I think my example satisfies both.

2. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

What about those 5% of workers without a job. If we lowered minimum wage, then corporations can afford to hire them. Surely you agree that more people making money is better than a few making more?

I don't see how you and rmsharpe can live in the same state together. :crazyeye:

3. Pbhead

Pbhead Hail the Byzantines

there IS no such thing, but what makes you thing there cant be? we can get much closer than we currently are, and that is what we should try to do.

simply. No.

think these things through... and you will discover...

4. Perfection

I don't think that's a correct supposition. Most of those workers simply wouldn't accept a job of such low-wage. It would cost them more to take the job then they'd get out of it.

Why do you say that?

5. Godwynn

Godwynn March to the Sea

Again, cost is related to the price of the product.

You two are quite opposites.

I gotta get off to do some Math homework so I can get a good job as a manager and exploit the lower and working classes. :)

Until we meet again!

6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

People can move from job to job now and many do so especially if it is a hot market for their particular skills. But for those at the lower end of the pay spectrum most do not have either the willingness or skills to negotiate their own market price. Many of thsoe people have a hard time even showing up for work on a regular basis. Cities and states have some sense of their local employement markets and can be held accountable to some extent by voters. You have to keep in mind that the goal is two pronged: match wages to the job and provide for people. You cannot ignore one in favor of the other.

If we could improve our education system, we would have more interesting options.

7. WillJ

WillJ Coolness Connoisseur

Why is that?
    Even if they don't result in economic isolation, they result in less economic expansion, which is never a good thing.
    The US economic growth of the late 1800s, as far as I know, had nothing to do the tariffs in place, but rather was in spite of them, which was possible because the world wasn't nearly as economically globalized then as it is now. And perhaps it should be noted that immigration (which could be considered trade of human capital) greatly helped the U.S.'s economy at the time.
    Well, in moderation they'd only be moderately bad.
    Regardless, the outsourcing of IT jobs from America to India is an example of trade that has benefited both countries. If trade between the two countries were truly free, the only difference is we'd be seeing more of this.
    If you won't bring it up any further, I'm sorry for continuing, but...

Outsourcing and what you call "exploitation" are not bad things, unless of course you think people in wealthy countries are entitled by birth to their jobs, and people in poor countries must die miserable deaths, lest multinational corporations pay them for their labor and let them step on the first rung of the ladder toward economic prosperity. (I'll admit this is an oversimplication, but by and large I think it's a good one. ;))

There are certainly problems with CAFTA, but by my knowledge, they have little to do with free trade, and more with allowing environmental destruction and flooding foreign markets with subsidized American products for geo-political reasons.

8. skadistic

skadistic Caomhanach

Can you back that assumption up with data from past raises? Was there mass flockings to the unemployment line?

9. Perfection

Not significantly. If minimum wage is abolished there won't be a significant price decrease because the number of workers it effects would be small.

How so? On economic manners I find myself quite often agreeing with Mr. Sharpe

10. aneeshm

aneeshm Deity

What many do not realise is the imposing a minimum wage effectively makes unemployable those whose skills allow them to provide labour whose value is less than the minimum wage . It also makes unprofitable all businesses which are labour-intensive , use the labour described above , and have small margins .

So I'm for abolishing it .

11. Perfection

The amount of people in America that fall into that catagory is quite small.

12. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

Well, I would say raise it to adjust for inflation, but that isn't much and it is largely based on the fact that I am a working grunt.

Actually, in Alberta the minimum wage is not very relevant since there are so many jobs. Almost no one actually makes minimum wage except high school kids who don't know any better.

13. Hotpoint

Hotpoint Rome Treaty Legions

Might be worth noting that in the most recent country to adopt a minimum wage (the United Kingdom in 1999 which set it much higher than in the US) the following happened:

Unemployment dropped
    Inflation went down
    Productivity went up

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage

The moral: Don't let yourself think that any economic theory is 100% correct. Reality may not necessarily indicate it is ;)

14. Tulkas12

Tulkas12 Emperor

Whats the population of the U.K. again? Where did these numbers come from?
    I trust wikipedia about as far as I can throw it, mainly when it stars throwing percentages at me. I doubt these numbers and feel that the low unemployment in the U.K. has to do with a change in the way its accounted. I geuss this is just cycism though.

15. amadeus

amadeus As seen on OT

We don't need it anymore, so get rid of it.

16. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

They can, so long as its above the federal limit. For instance, in California the minimum wage is higher than the national mw.

17. Hotpoint

Hotpoint Rome Treaty Legions

The population of the UK is about 60 Million. As for the numbers they are actually referenced on wikipedia and come from a Low Pay Commision (Government) Report

http://www.lowpay.gov.uk/

Not so much cynicism as an automatic rejection that the numbers might actually be right perhaps ;)

If you can find numbers to the contrary please feel free to cite them.

18. Tulkas12

Tulkas12 Emperor

Nah, they are probably fairly accurate and it would take some real research to come up with third party numbers on the U.K.s unemployment rate. It is a surprise and is very counter-intuitive though. I would say that because it worked there, that it doesn't make for good policy here. Our taxes are vastly less, our costs are less as well.

Someone pointed out that california has a higher min. wage, this is true because of the increased costs of living there. Its also true in several other states.

19. aneeshm

aneeshm Deity

Maybe , but you are telling that group of people that they can never be employed , ever . You are dooming them to perpetual unemployment , which is the grossest of injustices .

20. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I voted to eliminate it altogether. It's bad for the economy and creates unemployment.

It also encourages people to hire illegals and pay under the table (which of course can be a good thing :mischief: ).