Pope Benedict XVI: Europeans are selfish for not producing children

That is true, but Europe's been the heart of the Church...especially since Europeans keep becoming pope. So, since the holy person per capita population is so much greater in Europe, they must keep it up.

What exactly could the church be doing aside from papal preaching? Have they done any kind of viable outreach programs that may influence the youth of Europe?

Godwin's Law, eh?

Besides which, the Catholic Church is growing most among non-whites anyways.

Is it really Godwin's when they were actually a Nazi and its not just a weak comparison?

I suppose one could argue that starting a family without things in place or while you still have those urges to go out and do whatever would be just as selfish, if not more so. Thus, you get more people that have children when they're older...so they either can't have more or have their hands full with one or two children as it is.

So who wins?

No one. I wonder what will happen to the current generation (those with 20-30 years) when they get old. Shunning family is not a good idea.

What exactly could the church be doing aside from papal preaching? Have they done any kind of viable outreach programs that may influence the youth of Europe??

Believe me, they have! They even somehow managed to persuade one of my friends back in high school (admittedly quite a few years ago) to become a priest somehow - poor guy...
They may not be omnipresent, but they still have a number of youth organizations, most locally organized, and reach a large number of young people - the media coverage of JP II's last days showed.

Does he have a point (whatever you may think of the Catholic Church)? Is he ranting? Should the Church (as this Austrian group said in its letter) help out by letting their priests marry and have children?

Live and let live. If there are some people that don't want to have children, or too many children, then so be it. The Pope and the Roman Catholic Church should worry about their own internal problems before counseling others on their supposed problems. If they want to let priests marry, then that is their own choice, just like it is the choice of Europeans to have kids.

To be clear, he only wants white European babies, probably due to his time in the Hitler Youth.

I believe some European nations already provide economic incentives for women that wish to have children.

As much as I abhor the Pope and the Roman Catholic Church, this is quite a bit unfair. That was a long time ago and things were different. A lot of people found themselves associated with some terrible people. The Pope should not be held accountable for being an impressionable youth.

I really don't understand why some people react so violently to stuff the pope says. He is a religious leader, of course the stuff he says will sound illogical for people who do not follow said religion!

From the catholic POV, using contraceptives is wrong and people should be having more babies. Do I agree with this? Not at all, for me this is illogical and contraceptives are great (though maybe europeans should have more babies). But I don't get all upset because the pope says contraceptives are wrong; he never put a gun in my head and forced me not to use them.

He is merely expressing his opinion, which is his right as a human beign and his duty as a religious leader.

How is it selfish not to have children.
I guess I'm just an unselfish untypical man but I'd have children with thousands of beautiful woman if I had to.

Nice find was talking to a friend on the phone about a game.

Yeah of course not. :blush:

God damn is the Church hypocritical on this one. In so many ways.

There's the chastity angle.

There's the pedo priest angle.

There's the "but no condoms!" angle.

There's the Aryan Baby angle.

There's the "Ohno! Moo-slimes will outnumber us! Quick darling, let's make the beast with two backs!" angle.

But in the end....

Is it really Godwin's when they were actually a Nazi

You, sir, win the thread. FOR THE GLORY OF THE POPENFUHRER that is.

As much as I abhor the Pope and the Roman Catholic Church, this is quite a bit unfair. That was a long time ago and things were different. A lot of people found themselves associated with some terrible people.

This post gets horribly funny if you imagine the reasons why a Southern/Midwestern Protestant might want to write it.

marry
Be fruitful and multiply is one of God's commands, so I don't see how the Pope saying this is really so off base.
procreate

As much as I abhor the Pope and the Roman Catholic Church, this is quite a bit unfair. That was a long time ago and things were different. A lot of people found themselves associated with some terrible people. The Pope should not be held accountable for being an impressionable youth.

It's just not good PR for your organization if your leader used to be a Nazi, that's all.

Alright if he wants Europeans to have more children then he should offer to pay for all those children.

Children are expensive you know. Plus he should also contribute by procreating with women and allow his priests to procreate as well (not with little boys as they usually do)

Unless he does that he should just shut up.

Since he pretty much sums up everything that you guys post, I shall quote him:
God damn is the Church hypocritical on this one. In so many ways.

There's the chastity angle.
Do you even understand the rationale behind this?

There's the pedo priest angle.
Since when does a Multinational organization have absolute control over its constituents? And since when is not being able to marry adults have anything to do with pedophilia?

There's the "but no condoms!" angle.
Again, do you know the rationale behind this?

There's the Aryan Baby angle.
I fail to see.

There's the "Ohno! Moo-slimes will outnumber us! Quick darling, let's make the beast with two backs!" angle.

But in the end....

You, sir, win the thread. FOR THE GLORY OF THE POPENFUHRER that is.
I just cannot understand.

Does he really want a greater supply of little european athiests running around?

Shurely shome mishtake.

That's precisely why I agree with him on this matter. :p

Church should put it's sinful money where it's mouth is before speaking.

Top Bottom