[NFP] Portugal is the last NFP Civilization confirmed. Also... Zombies??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pack 1 is Americas ...Mexico is NA...
What Civilizations from the area of Mexico were in the NFP? I do hope you didn't mean the Mayans because they were in Central America, they were not neighbors of the Aztecs.

What do you mean? The wording of the achievement does not suggest anything at all that would indicate any changes to trading posts for Portugal. It simply means that you have to have trading posts in one of the cities of each referred civ.

Oh yeah... d’oh! I temper my excitement in that case, trading post abilities are simply not that interesting.

Oh yeah... d’oh! I temper my excitement in that case, trading post abilities are simply not that interesting.
Not even Mongolia's? Anyway, Portugal will definitely have something to do with trade and perhaps something to do with colonies.

Not even Mongolia's? Anyway, Portugal will definitely have something to do with trade and perhaps something to do with colonies.

My issue is that trading posts are established passively. Mongolia’s ability subverts this a bit by making them activate immediately (which essentially makes them equivalent to trade routes, which are of course actively sent by players). I worry that there is little scope for another interesting ability around them.

Especially when Portuguese colonialism was all about establishing fortified trading posts all over the world... anything but passive!

Still, we know nothing yet so I will keep an open mind.

I think João III makes a lot of sense for a trade-focused ability. João II would suit a more exploration-focused Portugal.

Well maybe I'm still hoping for exploration-focused Portugal then. ;)

(to keep room available for something like Oman/Swahili or Chola)

My issue is that trading posts are established passively. Mongolia’s ability subverts this a bit by making them activate immediately (which essentially makes them equivalent to trade routes, which are of course actively sent by players). I worry that there is little scope for another interesting ability around them.

Especially when Portuguese colonialism was all about establishing fortified trading posts all over the world... anything but passive!

Still, we know nothing yet so I will keep an open mind.

Yeah, still plenty of options with them. I hope that if they have an ability relating to trading posts, it's closer to Mongolia's change in how they work rather than, say, Rome, which has a point but is sort of minor. If they don't make a Feitoria as a UI that functions like a vampire castle in some respect, I could see them give them a civ ability of that name, and have some sort of bonus thematically that way. Especially given that achievement is related to trading posts, I'm now thinking they may do it that way, where the civ ability ends up being something like "naval units have a charge that can instantly create a trading post in a friendly city they are next to. +X per trading post".

Well Portugal was expected.

Joao III is certainly a surprise. I thought the leader would have been a female, specifically Maria I.

The real surprise is a zombie mode? Is that their answer to not having a pandemic mode? Instead of infectious diseases let's spread zombies. :shifty:

Joao III is certainly a surprise. I thought the leader would have been a female, specifically Maria I.
We all did. Rian Johnson, take notes on how to actually subvert expectations.

I more care about fixing Corporations mode than any new mode, to be honest. I can always just not use zombie mode and probably I will. So it's not a big deal. As for Portugal, I have mixed feelings. I missed them, they are trade and maritime Civ which I like, and if devs are keeping a good work with a Civ design they might be fun. But on the other hand, I am a little bit disappointed. The reason why is simple. It is probably the last Civ of the game.

Eh, I'm not surprised it's Portugal led by a man. If NFP was going to conclude Civ 6, it was the logical choice. Firaxis would care more about wrapping things up than like... token numbers.

(Also, they were NEVER going for a female portugese leader after the Maria backlash)

Anyway, that's the end of new Civilization VI content, live well Civilization VI!!! or get resurrected as a Zombie in some game mode I'll never touch, OH WELL.

I was really hoping for a new North American native civ... I love the Cree but I think we could have used the extra one.

That said, Portugal is still a nice addition. The spice must indeed flow.
It's an empty spot on the map, perhaps to never be touched again... Womp womp... :(

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe the new Zombie mode is a "fantasy" way of implementing a Pandemic mode, considering one of the achievements deals with destroying a zombie unit with mutation strength.

I'll have to wait and see it in action before I make any judgements.

If last game mode is zombie mode, I'm gonna ... :vomit:
The plot twist will be that they are actually releasing a Zombie Empire Civ and doing an alternate game mode where everyone is Portuguese! :mischief:

I was really hoping for a new North American native civ... I love the Cree but I think we could have used the extra one.

That said, Portugal is still a nice addition. The spice must indeed flow.
Pax Lusitania! The spice shall flow whether or not the infidels wish it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom