Maybe this is a stupid question, but does the Navigation School actually work? I can't see the bonus science from lake or coastal tiles anywhere.
The Science Bonus don't apply to the Terrain (Like with Lighthouse), but from the Terrain. Just hover over the Science Yield in CityManager to see a +x from Terrain in the ToolTip (if the City has more than 2 Coastal Tiles).

Edit: AntSou was faster.

Still have one question about Casa da India's ability, what does mean "can embark as soon as they are unlocked"?
I believe trader units can enter water tiles at Foreign Trade, when you unlock the unit, instead waiting for Celestial Navigation.

His uniqueness has not disappeared. No other civ gets those bonuses upon conquering a city.

Bonfireg did not call it “broken” as in OP - he said it was broken because the mechanic was not working as intended. Read the ability description and look at the code and it’s clear the point was not to let you get these boosts by building the districts AFTER you conquer the city. That doesn’t even make thematic sense for the ability.

So yes, it was broken before and your play style was relying on an exploit; it’s no different in principle than devising a strategy based on the infinite pantheon glitch.

When you read civ ability description, you would notice it is supposed to grant eurekas and inspirations from distrits in conquered cities, not specifing the moment of conquests (so completed districts gave boost immediately, pillaged districts when repaired, not existing districts upon buying/construction). This is how hellenistic fusion works - combining local cultures to benefit nation progress. And intuition says loal culture does not dissapear magically in one turn.
Ergo I would not expet "that was the intention of developers", cause I can only guess by uniques desriptions (i cannot read the code, I am from previous era)
Especially when Alex's leader ability is explained in different way - it says directly "when you conquer a city, all units are healed".

If any Macedonian abilities were not working as descripted, it was "to the world's end", not "hellenistic fusion". Suddenly we have TTWE not fixed, what could be expeted, while HF "fixed" while not necessairy expected.

EDIT
First look on Macedon
Spoiler :
gives much clearer view on what was the intention, so I agree it was not exatly working as wanted.

If it was bug and exploit, then huge congrats Firaxis. Macedon was in first civpack DLC released in march 2017 and it took 4 YEARS to notice it and fix this?

Still this single fix is probably the biggest nerf ever experiened by a single civ. Pretty reasonable if the civ was already overpowered, but Maedon was not so OP with NFP, and now diretly is moved to the very bottom tier.
And yes, Macedon still gets rewarded from conquering cities, but this reward is minimal (how many boosts you would be given from conquering in lassical era? 4 boosts total per civ on deity on average, really devastating amount) , while still lacking civ speific tools to make conquering cities easier. Espeially after classial era.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, Macedon is still an above-average civ. They have solid benefits added to a part of the game that is easier than many other parts, conquering, and already has high yields. They peak early in the game, which enables early snowballing. It wouldn't matter if they're generic later on if they are always better off later on anyway. Not to mention being able to produce science while also producing units is a powerful bonus, which incentivizes a large and updated military, giving them further encouragement to keep conquering, which they get less penalties for, all while getting better than normal return (on returns which are already incredibly good).

I just played with the new patch! Everything was as exciting as I thought but I have 3 questions about the new patch:

1) Did they changed something to barbarians? They are insanely aggresive. They attacked 2 times my capital with a ram, a catapult, 2 archers and 3 swordmen... it was insane!
They also seem quite aggresive at the sea. Maybe is jut this specific game, but my god!

2) The IA don't want to repair my feitorias :( is that normal?

3) Torre de Belem can construct buildings in districts? I think it didn't in my game.

When you read civ ability description, you would notice it is supposed to grant eurekas and inspirations from distrits in conquered cities, not specifing the moment of conquests

Actually, it says exactly that:

"Conquering a city grants a free Eureka for each Encampment..."

What you're suggesting is:

"Conquered cities grant a free Eureka for each Encampment..."
---

Has it really been bugged since 2017? That IS a long time...

Actually, it says exactly that:

"Conquering a city grants a free Eureka for each Encampment..."

What you're suggesting is:

"Conquered cities grant a free Eureka for each Encampment..."
---

Has it really been bugged since 2017? That IS a long time...

I know what you mean and fully agreed with you after wathing "first watch". It is a matter of not having english as native tounge, leading to some misunderstanding due to diffrent tense/aspect after translation (conquering is a noun in PL, not a verb). I often forget to be aware of it, probably my most common problem in english

1) Did they changed something to barbarians? They are insanely aggresive. They attacked 2 times my capital with a ram, a catapult, 2 archers and 3 swordmen... it was insane!
They also seem quite aggresive at the sea. Maybe is jut this specific game, but my god!
I wish we could see the same thing with major Civs and CSs, at least in Immortal/Deity Difficulties. It seems that it is not the case, only because they (Not Barbarians) were coded not to be so aggressive, because it would have been a really challenging Game. Especially since many Players prefer other Play Styles than Domination.

I would love it if the Devs decide for the Future Civ iterations, to include a New Difficulty Type that doesn't give Bonusses to AI, but make them act more efficiently without being perfect (maybe with some randomness, so that it doesn't feel like playing against omniscient Aliens).

In fact, in French, it doesn't say "International Trade Routes can only be sent to cities on the coast or with a Harbor", it specifically says that international trade routes can only go over water, meaning that if your city is inland, even with a harbor, you'd have to go on 1 or 2 tiles on land, which forbids you.

I will not trust the french translation. For example:
  • In the leader ability, there is no mention of free Open Borders with Cities-States. Instead, it says: « +1 Envoy when discovering a City-State before any other civilizations. »
  • In the civilization's ability, there is no mention of early embarkation for Traders. Instead, it says: « International Trade Routes can only go over water tiles. », as you said.
It could also be an "early translation". Meaning maybe at the time, Portugal could have free Envoys. But the team tweaked the ability. Don't make me check this theory in all languages!

Here a screenshot for the french one. Even if you do not speak french, you could recognise the Envoy (Émissaire) icon.
Spoiler :

In the leader ability, there is no mention of free Open Borders with Cities-States. Instead, it says: « +1 Envoy when discovering a City-State before any other civilizations. »
What would happen then with the card "First envoy that you send to a CS counts as 2"? That would be 3, or 2? 3 would mean immediate suzerainty! :king:

Don't make me check this theory in all languages!
Please do! We're on CivFanatics, everyone will understand.:goodjob::hug:

Hehe, even that, I would like to try.
Full visibility on all things on the map, no bonuses, computer against human.
Civ would be like a multy field Chess Game! You would have to know the Game in-n-out and the UI must be the best that any Game can offer, in order to just keep with th AI. Now That would be a Game to stand the test of Time: How long can you keep with the AI before it will crush you?

Reactions: PiR
I will not trust the french translation. For example:
  • In the leader ability, there is no mention of free Open Borders with Cities-States. Instead, it says: « +1 Envoy when discovering a City-State before any other civilizations. »
  • In the civilization's ability, there is no mention of early embarkation for Traders. Instead, it says: « International Trade Routes can only go over water tiles. », as you said.
It could also be an "early translation". Meaning maybe at the time, Portugal could have free Envoys. But the team tweaked the ability. Don't make me check this theory in all languages!

Here a screenshot for the french one. Even if you do not speak french, you could recognise the Envoy (Émissaire) icon.
Spoiler :

That's really interesting! Thanks for sharing. It's yet another unfortunate example of the QC slippage we've seen with NFP though... :(

Sorry if this is a bit off topic here (I saw earlier in the thread people posting map/starting positions though)

What does the game seed number account for? The map seed gives you the same map given all the same conditions...what does the game seed generate? If I use the same exact map seed and game settings, what would changing the game seed change? Thanks!

Sorry if this is a bit off topic here (I saw earlier in the thread people posting map/starting positions though)

What does the game seed number account for? The map seed gives you the same map given all the same conditions...what does the game seed generate? If I use the same exact map seed and game settings, what would changing the game seed change? Thanks!

The map seed is used to generate the map. The game seed is used for other random events, like rewards from tribal villages. I think!

Just had 15660 gold stolen from me as Portugal. Normally I would say ouch, but I'm rich, so who cares.

Top Bottom