1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Portugal (March 2021) - Patch Notes Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Laurana Kanan, Mar 25, 2021.

1. MrRadar

MrRadar Emperor

Non-coastal City States really should not give the "Send a Trade Route" quests to Portugal.
    My first Portugal game, Small Continents map and I had the following scenario.

Ayutthaya wants a trade route, alas the city is 1 tile off the coast:
    Spoiler :

Before the era ends I declare war to get rid of the quest, I don't have any envoys there anyway. The consequences are 100 grievances against Tomyris who the Suze there, followed by a denouncement and further -8 diplo penalty for a surprise war. Whatever. 10 turns later I redeclare peace with the city state, but Tomyris will hold a grudge against me forever now, just because I wanted to get rid of the impossible quest. But ok, so be it.

New era dawns, a couple of other City States announce their new quests:

Spoiler :

I can't go declaring wars on every other city state, can I? Not ideal for business...

PiR, Myomoto, Kjimmet and 2 others like this.
  2. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

Confirmed: Feitorias can be built on unrevealed Oil. A bit weird because at the end of the game, the Feitoria I built to test this was removed for some reason. So I'm really not sure what happened.

3. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

Barb tribe mode is still bugged to all Hell. No more tribes spawn after the first converts, they have the wrong defense value as a CS (a few had -1) meaning they die instantly, and you can freely walk through their territory.

MrRadar and AriaLyric like this.
  4. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

I haven’t tried them yet but Portugal seem to struggle quite hard in multiplayer.

The last match we played, every player settled no coastal cities and one guy just settled two away from the coast to build a harbour, and then annihilated all the coastal city states. (I presume he could have traded with the harbour city though?)

Granted Portugal could have defended them but it seems they have a malus that competitive(/nasty) players can exploit pretty easily.

I’m totally innocent though! I was Vietnam and there was no coast in sight ❤️❤️❤️

PiR likes this.
  5. Bechhold

Bechhold King

Everyone enjoy Portugal while they can cause they are insanely OP. Expect a huge nerf.

Already have 4k in Gold and it's not even the Industrial Age yet.

edit: Now in the Modern era and at 23k and 780 gold per turn. Damn.

Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  6. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

Portugese Drones are phenomenal for clearing away the last blank bits of the world map.

Yeah I threw that into the bug report subforum. I don't know if it'll be addressed any time soon though.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Hellenism Salesman likes this.
  7. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

My guess is that no, because technically if they built a Harbor you could sent to them, right? Not that they will due to CS logic. But yeah, it's annoying to have a few that are just broken. My current game has a bunch of CS one off the coast, so that's definitely annoying that you can't do anything with them. I'm also sort of stuck in that the map I'm on doesn't have continuous oceans, so I have a few different seas to navigate. Although I'm definitely still looking, since I think there might be a few potential canal city spots that I could use to extend my routes. Also I have a spot where I could technically build the Panama Canal which would join the 2 seas that I'm on together if I build a canal as well in another city. I'm actually sort of intrigued by that option, since it would let me stack all my routes together which will help when that diamond corporation comes online...

PiR likes this.
  8. DogeEnricoDandolo

DogeEnricoDandolo King

Ok so Feitorias can be removed by coastal flooding.
    You can check out the photos I posted here.
    https://civilization.fandom.com/wiki/Feitoria_(Civ6)
    I first tested the Feitoria by building it on top of the Inca's Oil. But then my Feitoria was removed because the Cattle tile was submerged.

9. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

From the second and third screenshots posted above (in @MrRadar 's post) that doesn't look like happening any time soon. Unless by some miracle the unrevealed map has some coast.

PiR likes this.
  10. Old Victoria

Old Victoria Chieftain

Not sure if someone replied to this, but
    Green and red are the colors of the portuguese flag, that's why. :p I was actually expecting these to be the standard colors and was a bit baffled when I saw blue and white - until I rememberd those were the colors of the first portuguese flag (or one of the first).

11. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder Vietnam & Māori Main

You know, I just realized - what good is using a feitoria to block a good harbor placement, if the civ that owns the tile then gets to work the tile anyways with its +4 gold +1 production, on top of still being able to build a harbor elsewhere? The more I think about it the more I realize the #1 priority of feitoria placement should be maximizing feitorias in cities you can send trade routes to.
    That makes me wonder if you'd lose a feitoria if it's only adjacent resource is a bonus resource that then gets harvested or removed by a volcanic eruption. If that feitoria was lost from the cattle tile getting submerged, I'm assuming you'd still lose it if the cattle disappeared some other way, but I'm not certain.

12. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

So does this mean, that by harvesting bonus luxuries a player can remove undesired Feitoria's?

tedhebert likes this.
  13. walkerjks

walkerjks King

Turn 123 cultural win with Portugal on deity. Being able to buy ampitheaters, arch museums, and archaeologists (most of them anyway) is pretty powerful. As expected, Kumasi can generate huge bonus culture with them. And the tourism modifier from monopolies is still way too much.

Oh, and archaeology spawns zombies. Is that even in the patch notes? They won't attack the archaeologist, fortunately.

14. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

Nope, and I don't think it was mentioned in the livestream either. I don't think anyone knew until we experienced it and looked at the game files.

15. Francel

Francel Madam Secretary

Portugal is good science civ, and the navigation school, extra sight, and open borders all click for me.

A few misses. One trade route per new civ met is too much. I think it should be one trade route per new continent discovered.

Also, there seems to me an imbalance with 50% plus trade route yields being too strong and feitoria too weak. I would replace both with something like plus 50% trade route yields to cities with feitorias.

16. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

The problem with this is that it’s just a plain better version of Victoria’s bonus. I think it’s best to avoid abilities that invite super direct comparisons with existing ones.

Obviously Portugal’s existing trade route capacity bonus is better than Victoria’s ability as well, but at least they aren’t the exact same thing thematically.

17. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Dunno if this has been discussed before, but wasn't Feittorias supposed to be removed once you capture a city with them in?
    Spoiler :
    upload_2021-3-28_16-15-48.png

Or maybe it's the mod that allows me to capture foreign unique improvements that interferes here? :hmm:

18. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Maybe as a compromise gain a free trade route capacity for the first city-state you meet on a new continent?

19. Hakan-i Cihan

Hakan-i Cihan Emperor

Afaik no civs in civ 6 has a bonus linked with natural wonders (Spain in civ 5). It fits Joao leader agenda as you have to really explore. So +1 trade route for each discovered natural wonder?

Francel likes this.
  20. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

That would be one thing. Or alternatively, Victoria's Trade Route bonus could be boosted to +2. That would make it much less obvious which one is better.

It was at least somewhat thematic for Spain in Civ 5, but I don't really think there's much basis for it with Portugal. Also, it would make certain mods that I love (Terra Mirabilis) completely busted!