[NFP] Portugal (March 2021) - Patch Notes Discussion

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Laurana Kanan, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

So I have not built a single theater square as Portugal and my tourism is 51/335. Still tuned a bit too high in my opinion (monopoly tourism bonuses I mean).

PiR and AriaLyric like this.
  2. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

I tried this. An unknown AI got it on turn 20.

3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Not too surprising, but I will note that liberating a city state will remove the Feitoria. Not much we can expect given the mechanics of the city going over to you before you can actually liberate it.

Another annoyance is the AI not repairing Feitorias. I was cautiously optimistic I could repair my allies Feitorias with my builder or military engineer. Neither one works.

edit: I'll note railroads can be built through barricades and traps in case anyone was curious. Not too surprising, but figured I would note it.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
    Meluhhan likes this.
  4. AriaLyric

AriaLyric Nonbinary | Peaceful Builder

Yet another way that transference of ownership of a captured city should be reworked. The other being units getting pushed out of a liberated city state.
    A workaround for this would be downloading the cheat map editor mod, selecting the tile with the pillaged feitoria, and clicking apply, since the mod can't handle the pillaged status for improvements. If you wanted you could even limit yourself to only using it after moving a unit there and making it skip the turn. But yeah it really sucks that it's up to the player to act out how it should (imho) work...

Meluhhan, PiR and 8housesofelixir like this.
  5. Futumch

Futumch Calm as a Coma

Can you repair city-state Feitorias if you're the suzerain of them ? (Probably need 6+ envoys too).

I've got Kupe in my current Portugal game. He still settles like an idiot in the south pole. Currently he has a lone embarked settler parked in among my "heartland", eyeing off a single tile that I've got a fortified crossbowman on. What a doofus. I think the distance via my trade route to his capital is over 25 hexes.

Spoiler :

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I just realized Feitorias give sight in their vicinity like forts do. Kinda neat.

bbbt, MrRadar, Galvatron and 3 others like this.
  7. enKage

enKage Follower of Zoamelgustar

Does it mean what I think of? if I conquer a city and build encampment after, I won't be given eureka?
    The same applies to wonders?

Oh devs... Why do you want to make Macedon a Georgian tier civ? After introducing so many strong civs noone even considered Macedon OP. This is devastating and shocking "rebalance"

How to uninstall that irrational patch?

8. Tuvok694

Tuvok694 Civ6 addict

That will usually happen. So the wetlands map is kind of pointless to me. The marsh pantheon gives ONE player the opportunity to really make good use of the terrain and all others fall behind because they lack production.

9. AntSou

AntSou Deity

Why should it be otherwise? It's what the ability reads. It's clearly meant to promote aggressive conquest. Otherwise you could use the ability defensively (especially the Wonder one).

If it needs a rework (I don't play Alexander much, so I don't know) then it should be made within that intended design, because it's good, just maybe not effective enough. For example:

Alternative A)
    "Conquering a city grants two eurekas if the city has either an Encampment or a Campus, and two inspirations if it has either a Holy Site or a Theatre."

That's pretty strong and keeps the design intention intact. You're likely to get a minimum of 2 boosts and often even a maximum of 4 boosts. I'd keep the Wonder ability as it is.

OR

Alternative B) All abilities as they currently are, plus:
    "Conquering a city grants a free promotion to every land military unit you own within two/three tiles of the city."
    OR
    "Conquering a city grants XP to every land military unit you own."
    ---

I don't want Alexander to be encouraged to sit down and build things.

Meluhhan and 8housesofelixir like this.
  10. Galvatron

Galvatron Prince

Wait, what?!

bbbt and PiR like this.
  11. PiR

PiR Emperor Supporter

same here... I never built forts so... maybe I'll start doing it now lol

12. Deadly Dog

Deadly Dog Prince

Intersting Dark age with Portugal on Dramatic Ages mode. Facing the countdown to classical era I was still 9 era points shy so i didn't settle my 2nd city, just built a 3rd settler then waited it out.

Meanwhile I had 9 possible traderoutes but only one foreign city to trade with. So once I got my 3rd city up i just pumped out traders until I had 6 internal routes, so each city getting about 10 food 10 production 10 gold, and still 3 traders for the one foreign city, each getting 9 gold with no policies. It certainly didn't feel like a Dark Age is what I'm saying.

After that, staying in Golden Ages with a small empire is very easy. And Gorgo was very good to me putting her cities on the coast, I even got 2 Feitories in Sparta. Renaissance era, Merchant rep, Lisbon is getting at least 30 production from Trade Routes to my allies /suzes with Feitorias.

So much gold, its crazy. But very good science too and Kumasi made culture a walk in the park.

8housesofelixir and raen like this.
  13. enKage

It makes Alexander to sit down and do nothing.
    It basically makes Alex unplayable

Alexander is considered as a domination civ, but have no bonuses to domination:
    1) no bonus strength
    2) No loyality boost
    What Alex has however has
    a) classical melee with slightly boosted strength very effetive at taking cities
    b) classial horse unit for farming GG.
    After classical era Alex is not better than any other civ and even worse than Catherine of France in terms of warmongering!

Alexander strategy was:
    1) conquering as much as possible in ancient / classical
    2) using Moksha / Reyna and pillaging to gold/faithbuying eurekas / inspirations in conquered cities to have tech advantage over other civs to continue conquest / win by space
    OK you still get eurekas late game while conquering cities, but you have no tools to do it. Why would you go for war to conquer sth for eureka, while having no combat/loyality bonuses, if you can use the same hammers to get eureka in a traditional way?

Now we have Alex as basically vanilla civ after classical era, making him in fact bottom tier civ with the most boring playstyle ever.
    THANKS DEVS!!! In the meantime you can give another +16 strenth to Byzantines or Mongolia

14. bonfireg

bonfireg Chieftain

The mechanic was broken before, and now they fixed it. It felt like cheating the way it worked previously, it's more fun to play Alexander when you have to strategize which cities to take and when.

15. enKage

So why would you play Alex now and not Mongolia, Byzantines, Gauls or (any other civ when you also prioritise which cities to take) when all Alex's uniqueness magically disappeared?

How many times before have you seen opinions Alex is kind of OP and broken, especially after first NFP release?

If the mechanism was broken, wonderhealing should be removed as well, but is not. I don't understand anything here.

And broken mehanism is turn 70 flight by Babilon. not pre-patch hellenistic fusion

16. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

His uniqueness has not disappeared. No other civ gets those bonuses upon conquering a city.

Bonfireg did not call it “broken” as in OP - he said it was broken because the mechanic was not working as intended. Read the ability description and look at the code and it’s clear the point was not to let you get these boosts by building the districts AFTER you conquer the city. That doesn’t even make thematic sense for the ability.

So yes, it was broken before and your play style was relying on an exploit; it’s no different in principle than devising a strategy based on the infinite pantheon glitch.

Deggial, Caprikel, PiR and 2 others like this.
  17. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I ended up getting an unwanted cultural victory. As I mentioned above, monopoly bonuses are still too strong. I wasn't aiming for a cultural victory, I was going for a science victory. I'll have to work on some achievements after the victory.

A small note, doesn't seem like my city that was taken by zombies appears on the cities destroyed list on the end game graphs.

18. walkerjks

walkerjks King

This feels like another Kupe. Doesn't matter what victory condition you are going for, as long as you have decent water, the trade route benefits are insane and make the game easy. I have a turn 100 +297.4 culture/turn (and +577.4 gold/turn) game going. Does it matter what the other figures are? Portugal is Mali, except you don't have to build the (discounted) commercial district or buy the marketplace with faith. You just get fabulous trade routes by exploring.

8housesofelixir likes this.
  19. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

My best income before I won a diplo victory was 1600 gold/turn.

PiR likes this.
  20. bengalryan9

bengalryan9 King

Maybe this is a stupid question, but does the Navigation School actually work? I can't see the bonus science from lake or coastal tiles anywhere.