Crush the Sheep to get an amazing Commercial Hub-City Center-Harbor Triangle?
Puts too many wonder tiles too far away I reckoned, did stare at the screen for 5 minutes wondering what to do.

This post could feasibly go here, screenshots, and the workable Bermuda triangle thread. I too rolled a nifty start.

At the dawn of civilization, the first Portuguese settlers gaze out across the waters:

And what do they find? 20 workable science spewing out of a whirlpool:
Spoiler :

This post could feasibly go here, screenshots, and the workable Bermuda triangle thread. I too rolled a nifty start.

At the dawn of civilization, the first Portuguese settlers gaze out across the waters:

Spoiler :

Hey, @PiR, found a workable Bermuda Triangle! ;)

Spoiler :

judging from the coastal fish tile 4 tiles to the west of the settler, there's also a solid possibility you can work it from multiple sides! do you happen to have the seeds for this start? would love to try it later

It will be fun finding out what is over yonder. I can happily give you the seeds. Question though - it won't work unless everything else matches perfectly, right? Like, you have to have the exact same city states selected in the picker and everything else? It might take a minute to remember/deduce how everything was configured.

It will be fun finding out what is over yonder. I can happily give you the seeds. Question though - it won't work unless everything else matches perfectly, right? Like, you have to have the exact same city states selected in the picker and everything else? It might take a minute to remember/deduce how everything was configured.
I might be wrong, but I think that if I use the same map seed with the same map settings (including wonder picker) I'll get the same map, just with different start locations probably. So yeah it'd probably take a loooot of details to get the same exact start. If it's too much work you don't gotta worry about it, I forgot to consider that more matters than just map seed

Absolutely getting hammered in zombie mode. I can build a gazillion trade routes as Portugal right now, but can't even think about building them as I'm getting overrun by zombies. Can't even build builders to build traps and whatnot because I need units, units, units to defend myself. And some of those improvements seem questionable since most of the zombies are spawning inside my city territory. The spawn rate is insane. I'm falling behind the AI because I can't do anything except fight zombies.

rng screwed me over big time. Killing so many zombies because I'm so efficient at it only makes things worse for me. The one bright spot is I find every city needs a defensive unit, kind of like Civ4 days.

And I have lost 1 city so far to zombies. I'm normally a careful player and never lose cities. But I had 4 attack a city with no walls and only a warrior inside. It was hopeless.

Now, I hope it is just me, but has anyone else noticed that the AI has a deep wonderlust for Etemenanki? I had barely unlocked Writing and was considering putting it down in a nice desert floodplain I had, when I saw a notification that Kublai Khan had already built it. I fear it may be Great Bath 2.0.

Went quick in my game, and it's only a King level game. I thought about building it, but it was gone quick. Good thing I didn't though, as I soon became overrun by zombies, and the city I wanted it in needed to build an encampment to crank out units.

There seems to be a misleading info about zombie mode in civilopedia. It stated that zombies are not interested in attacking cities. @Andrew Johnson [FXS] please confirm if this is an outdated text?

They most certainly do attack cities and encampments (which will pillage of course when they take it). I notice they will attack a city over a unit in fact.

There seems to be a misleading info about zombie mode in civilopedia. It stated that zombies are not interested in attacking cities. @Andrew Johnson [FXS] please confirm if this is an outdated text?
You are correct. The mode originally had them disinterested in cities, but over the course of balance tweaks this got tweaked. The corrected text is already slated to appear in the April patch

You are correct. The mode originally had them disinterested in cities, but over the course of balance tweaks this got tweaked. The corrected text is already slated to appear in the April patch
Good to know. :D

Are you playing hotseat with yourself? :O

...is that even possible? Because it kinda sounds like a fun idea.

Yep. I recommend: 3-4 Civs, Quick Speed, Terra Map, Small Size. :)

Anything over four Civs is unmanageable. It takes too long and it's hard to keep track of everything. Three Civs makes things faster, but it also breaks the "political balance" a bit (the weaker Civ tends to get ganged up by the other two, so it turns into a 1v1 too early). It also adds too much empty space and reduces interaction between Civs.

Online speed is too fast and stressful. With four Civs there's always something to do, something to remember, and one mistake or missed turn makes a huge difference. On the other hand Standard is tooooo slow and boring. Never finished a Hotseat game on Standard Speed. Quick ends up taking as long as a marathon sized game (but not boring imo, since you're playing four Civs).

Terra map - Small Size (for six players, remove two) is my preferred set up. There's an entire continent to discover, and the Civs are neither too packed together nor too far from each other on the main continent. Inland Sea and Pangea are fun too. Continents not so much since you turn the game into two 1v1s.
---

The way I play around having access to information at all times is to ask "what's the best move here?", but taking into consideration only the info available to that Civ. Spies are usually straightforward, though World Congress can get tricky at times. In regards to Wonders, I consider it "public information" at all times. I used to play them using the approach mentioned, but it's not fun to pretend to build a Wonder you already know some other Civ will complete first.

I also recommend Heroes Mode in Hotseat. It really lets you appreciate the mode's quality.

This is how I've mostly been playing for over a year, especially with the AI issues and all that...

Tip: Mark the Tribal Villages whenever you find them. You WILL forget about them otherwise. (Also don't forget to select "Human" for all four Civs when setting up the game.)

First Portugal game on an archipelago map had exactly 1 city in trade range of my capitol. Just city-states all over the place, but they are all inland.

Can anyone confirm that AI now improves resources with Monopolies mode?

Can anyone confirm that AI now improves resources with Monopolies mode?
I've seen some people here and there say so. Can't confirm myself, though.

It looks like the AI is now finally improving luxury resources in Monopolies mode.

I am not so sure. Can you elaborate? Do you see it all over the map? Occasional improvement was there even before.

Absolutely getting hammered in zombie mode. I can build a gazillion trade routes as Portugal right now, but can't even think about building them as I'm getting overrun by zombies. Can't even build builders to build traps and whatnot because I need units, units, units to defend myself. And some of those improvements seem questionable since most of the zombies are spawning inside my city territory. The spawn rate is insane. I'm falling behind the AI because I can't do anything except fight zombies.

Yes - the more you kill the worse they get. Make a wall across your continent and mow them down as they come and they'll overrun the world. It makes for a very, very different game; for that reason it's not an always-on for me. Most games with it active have been very much "zombie games", although I've had relatively peaceful games where they're not a severe problem. A couple times they have paralyzed the world and reduced me (and one or two other AI players) into fortified enclaves with walls of units and defenses, trying to move forward for another kind of victory before they wash over us. When they're that strong, even a domination victory is unlikely - the other players might be reduced to a capital with 0 defense, but I just can't reach it through the waves of zombies. A really memorable game (reminded me of "The Kingdom" - the Korean medieval zombie series), and a really different one from "normal Civ."

FWIW, my always-ons are: M&C, Barb Clans, Dramatic Ages, often but not always SS.

Top Bottom