Pre-KhaNESII: S.P.Q.R

This caesar is crazier than barbarians.

Admittedly I may have messed up on the genitive though. My latin's pretty rusty.

Well, Google Translate is pretty faithful for Latin-to-English. It's just the other way round that requires some patience and experience.
I'm not going to jump around Google translate to read things. If others want me to read something on the forum, they can use English (or Hebrew, but then I will be the only one to understand...). Otherwise I will just assume I was not meant to read :D

The only thing latin I am willing to accept is something around the lines of death to Carthage, for historical NESing reasons...

How about the traditional roman battle cry?

"Iuppiter Optimus Maximus resistere atque iterare pugnam iubet"

I won't understand it. But you know, stuff that their meaning aren't important for me to understand are Ok... I just won't know what they say :p

talonschild said:
Well, Google Translate is pretty faithful for Latin-to-English. It's just the other way round that requires some patience and experience.
It won't handle complicated things like the active periphrastic well, IIRC. And things like that are commonly found in more official sounding Latin. However, I can usually provide a translation if we need it.

Admittedly I may have messed up on the genitive though. My latin's pretty rusty.

Correct genitive. Although IIRC you would need the dative for the comparison, barbaris. And if it's not dative, then it is ablative. Still the same word ;)

How about the traditional roman battle cry?

"Iuppiter Optimus Maximus resistere atque iterare pugnam iubet"

I approve :D

These Romans Are Crazy.

Also, I guess we have enough people to start the game formally now. I just want to wait until I have regular and proper internet access. This might be any time between a week and a month. I'm mostly posting from my phone now, which doesn't really work for updates and stats.

That said, the stats for Gaius Iulius Caesar and Cassius Flavius Linius

Spoiler :

Name: Cassius Flavius Livius (Nintz)
Command: 1
Intrigue: 0
Management: 0
Governorships:
Funds: 0
Armies:
Traits: Competent Commander (+1 Command)

Name: Gaius Iulius Caesar (christos200)
Command: 1
Intrigue: 0
Management: 0
Governorships:
Funds: 0
Armies:
Traits: Competent Commander (+1 Command)

As I posted elsewhere, I will be vanished for the next while. Don't wait for me when you guys get around to starting this. My sincerest apologies to anyone I'm letting down by doing so.

Oh, and just in case I do manage to get my affairs in order, please don't anyone else take over Cassiodor. Just in case.

Another entry to this :

Marius Blandinus Servius
a.k.a. The charming one

The Servius family has recently risen to power, according to many, by their sheer wealth and insider connections. The traditional business of the family deals in selling of foreing commodities, mostly fine men and women to serve the Roman civil society, slaves as well as gladiators. Through their many connections and their own brand of military prowess, they have managed to quell (mostly which people say interfere) many a conflict. These prisoners are often captured and brought back to the mainland and then sold off to the slave market. Such operations, even though neither exactly legal nor official, have been managed to be kept quiet, by "gifting" handsome pouches of gold coins to the port officials as well as the well connected senators. After all, Roman Elites needed slaves and the Servius Family has been a major source of all such needs. Other needs of the Roman elites, were the gladiators, who were needed to fight and die for the entertainment for the citizens. The family's specialization were the Hoplomachus, the ones that fought with a short sword, the hoplon and a small sheild. The eastern neighbors from the regions of Epirus and Dalmatia, prooved to be easy pickings.

Home Town : Tarentum.
Current Location : Rome

my STATS ??

I thought i did yours. Not on computer now but Marius Blandinus Servius is Corrupt, giving him +1 Intrigue, -2 funds to Republic Treasury, +1 funds to personal treasury.

Technically speaking you had more chance dying as a soldier than dying as a gladiator in the Roman times :p

And now, proper internet is restored to me. This NES shall continue, full pace ahead.

I have, alas, gotten a few too few players than I had previously hoped. But thats okay, I'm hoping people will join as it goes on - I know some people wait for NESes to get good before they join. Also, teh Christmas holidays are coming up, and perhaps people will become more prolific NESers as they go on.

For the time being, however, here is the basemap. I shall add a map with labels later on.

New players are still being accepted.

Attachments

• Basemap3 final.png
    Basemap3 final.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 51
I assume a person can control more than one province... Consuls probably decide? And that consuls can, if they want, lead armies and control provinces?

Yes, a Senator can control more than one province. Consuls can assign provinces to whoever they want, themselves included.

Consuls can lead armies, and they can control provinces. Consuls also have to send in orders for themselves.

(The Republic itself doesn't send orders, its spending and recruitment is decided by Bills.)

I've also attached the labelled final map.

Ed: Also, made one (possibly significant) rulechange; I replaced item 3) in the section on bills with;

3) Spend the Republican Treasury on whatever projects, including recruiting legions. Spending the Republican Treasury is done in Bills, and not in orders - (the Republic itself doesn't do orders, as its armies are under the control of Generals and its spending is done by bill). The Republic may also grant its funds on Senators to do with as they will, or alternatively it may specifically purchase buildings in provinces. It may also spend the treasury on improvements within Rome.

Attachments

• Basemap3Label.png
    Basemap3Label.png
    183.2 KB · Views: 95
Query : one single senator leading his legions is not really expected to dominate an entire area isnt it ? by the way, how big can the armies get ?

Just to let you know I still am interested in joining this NES. Should hopefully get round to doing my character tonight :)

Query : one single senator leading his legions is not really expected to dominate an entire area isnt it ? by the way, how big can the armies get ?

They are. Its a massive abstraction, I am aware. As such, your provinces remain pretty quiet, unless there is a rebellion.

Also, rebels won't do much for the very start of the game except for sit around being inconvenient, to take that into account.

Also, armies (both yours and your enemies) start very small, including the Legions.

To be fair, I'm thinking of having every senator start with a few units of veteran auxiliaries and some scouts, if people are onboard with that.

Please do Ekolite. :)

A very few auxilia units along with some scouts sounds good ! thanks...

Top Bottom