Pre-SysNES2: Beta-testing and Submission

BTW, apologies if this has been written somewhere, but how far along are we chronologically after the Apeilic-Dathic war? Also, forgot to respond earlier, but you are more than welcome to make fun of Hank. I figured that some names spoken in dialects in the distant future might sound funny to modern ears, so I decided to fill in an under-represented niche. ;)

To late now? I think it is. I might come out with a description anyway for poop and giggles.

Particle Damage Calculation seems to be broken, Dis

By the way, I've been working on editing my description and I'm hearing conflicting information from #nes denizens on what "Insular" represents. I took it to mean a rejection of alien immigrants to worlds controlled by the polity, but a different interpretation would read it as a societal rejection of emigration offworld from the home planet. Can you please clarify?
I'm pretty sure it's the former because immigration and emigration are two separate concepts and words with rather precise meanings, though I wondered this for a bit myself. "You can never really leave your starting planet," would be an extreme negative that'd be worth a lot more than -2.

Positive Dodge is essentially impossible it seems. I've gotten the overall impression that certain things need to be re-balanced beyond the errors. (I'll make something of a later if needed/wanted?)

How does heat management work? It seems a bit wonky, but then again, I don't know the rules for it.

Wil there ever be some way to decrease a ship/army electronic vulnerability?

BTW, apologies if this has been written somewhere, but how far along are we chronologically after the Apeilic-Dathic war? Also, forgot to respond earlier, but you are more than welcome to make fun of Hank. I figured that some names spoken in dialects in the distant future might sound funny to modern ears, so I decided to fill in an under-represented niche. ;)

About three decades absolute, time debt for those of you who are refugees is probably taking up half that though.

Particle Damage Calculation seems to be broken, Dis

I can't seem to break it? What circumstances are leading to problems?

I'm pretty sure it's the former because immigration and emigration are two separate concepts and words with rather precise meanings, though I wondered this for a bit myself. "You can never really leave your starting planet," would be an extreme negative that'd be worth a lot more than -2.

Yes its the former, though I'm planning that insular also weights your pop against moving to worlds that have a foreign presence already extant.

Positive Dodge is essentially impossible it seems. I've gotten the overall impression that certain things need to be re-balanced beyond the errors. (I'll make something of a later if needed/wanted?)

How does heat management work? It seems a bit wonky, but then again, I don't know the rules for it.

Are you really loading on the IP drive units? I have spotted the scanner+comp module dodge is broken, and that the refined pulse drive lacks any dodge at al :D.

Dodge is supposed to be quite hard to get (being the best protection), but if you feel its much to difficult I may rebalance it.

On heat management: Things produce heat, heat management devices reduce heat (I am surprised this is tricky). Heat Management runs from -5 to 5, above 5 its not a valid design, below -5 you don't get any additional bonus. The heat management rating is applied directly to you armour, so a top notch -5 heat management gives 5 armour.

Wil there ever be some way to decrease a ship/army electronic vulnerability?

Maybe, until then just be better at EW than the other guy (defenders get a bonus).

Since this thread is for beta testing does anyone want to submit some ship designs and we shall make them fight?

I propose that we have say 500e and 150s to build and design a fleet (we can revisit that once we've had a go). I propose 3 round as attacker and 3 rounds as defender. If your ships are not IS/IP capable they can not be taken to attack.

@Dis: How many computer cores do you need for charm fleets to be IS capable? is it 6 still?

@Dis: How many computer cores do you need for charm fleets to be IS capable? is it 6 still?

Currently, though I'm thinking of changing it to:

Making jumping the ship itself: 4
Providing Jump support to fleet: 6+Commlinks (these six need to be on a single ship)
High Energy Jumps: X depending on level

I look forward to results if you could post a log/do it in thread. You could also specify tech levels, and the presence of refinement for the ships - since several components scale with tech.

Currently, though I'm thinking of changing it to:

Making jumping the ship itself: 4
Providing Jump support to fleet: 6+Commlinks (these six need to be on a single ship)
High Energy Jumps: X depending on level

I look forward to results if you could post a log/do it in thread. You could also specify tech levels, and the presence of refinement for the ships - since several components scale with tech.

Mhmmm

Base tech 5
Refinement is at own cost (although what that cost is, I don't know....what is it Dis?)

So long as the other participants agree, posting logs seems like a good idea.

Additional notes on ship design - the utility of hangers and thus carriers has been significantly buffed.

When Classifying Ships I'm stick to a basic Corbettian view of fighting ships you have your

Strategic Security Ships - for nothing but winning fleet battles
Very Small: Gunboats & Cutters
Small: Destroyer
Medium: Heavies
Capital: Battleships & Carriers

Strategic Control Ships - compromises are made to range, and having additional functions beyond battle
Very Small: Corvette
Small: Frigate
Medium: Cruisers
Capital: Battlecruisers & Carriers

Auxiliaries - named by function
Tankers, pickets, packets, troopships what have yous

Hmm...

So what is the rule for determining how large a ship a hanger can carry now? :p

Since this thread is for beta testing does anyone want to submit some ship designs and we shall make them fight?

I'll submit something. We have our ships go against each other in test fights right? :)

You can built a 500e ship for 148s. :mischief:

Hmm...

So what is the rule for determining how large a ship a hanger can carry now? :p

The same its always been? If the ships size<the unused hanger size of the carry it can be carried. Its right there on the calculator above cargo space.

The ship designer V3 will have it even better buffed, but I'm going to wait a bit on releasing that till enough changes have accumulated.

Actually I think this is enough

ShipDesigner2_TESTV34

Change Log
  • Added headings to the current designs page
  • Added indicators to warn if ship size or mass is causing invalid designs
  • Altered how invalid is calculated with respect to cargo and carrier units
  • Buffed carrier units
  • Buffed Burst Drives (were bad before due to an error)
  • Fixed pulse drive dodge error
  • Fixed light sails IP operation (they always add at least 1 now, making them useful for very large slow ships)
  • Added more conditional formatting coloured prettiness
  • Added refined+elevator/fountain function
  • Adjusted the where can be built calculations
  • Scanners now add dodge
  • Buffed Maneuvering Jets

To late now? I think it is. I might come out with a description anyway for poop and giggles.

Sorry Kentharu - 12 is pretty much the hard limit. Feel free to submit a culture idea, they could be NPCs that you coudl take over if another player leaves. If not everyone who submitted a culture is here on the start of the NES proper you are first on the subs list.

By the way, when you say ships need commlinks to allow other ships to make a Charm Drive jump, does the other recipient ships need commlinks as well?

I propose that we have say 500e and 150s to build and design a fleet (we can revisit that once we've had a go). I propose 3 round as attacker and 3 rounds as defender. If your ships are not IS/IP capable they can not be taken to attack.

Deal, fellow soulless cybernetic man.

However, I also suggest that we make mock scenarios in which one side has a defending fleet, complete with immobile defensive structures and only IP capable fighters.

Top Bottom