Prediction Thread

The idiots who govern (most of) our countries are making sure we'll get another Autumn of covid lockdowns.
I would love to turn out wrong on this one.

Fox News will be the only major network to call it "Victory in Afghanistan Day".

Nah, nah, it's under Biden. It'll be 'AMERICA SUFFERS WORST DEFEAT SINCE VIETNAM UNDER DEMOCRATS'.

US & N. Vietnam reached a negotiated settlement. THREE YEARS after U.S. troops went home, N. Vietnam launched a sneak attack on the South. Only GOP fake news can morph this into a US defeat. :dubious: This is like trying to characterizing the Nazis overrunning Poland as a US defeat. :wallbash:

US & N. Vietnam reached a negotiated settlement. THREE YEARS after U.S. troops went home, N. Vietnam launched a sneak attack on the South. Only GOP fake news can morph this into a US defeat. :dubious:
Seth Macfarlane gave it a good try. :p

US & N. Vietnam reached a negotiated settlement. THREE YEARS after U.S. troops went home, N. Vietnam launched a sneak attack on the South. Only GOP fake news can morph this into a US defeat. :dubious: This is like trying to characterizing the Nazis overrunning Poland as a US defeat. :wallbash:
The US brokered at a ceasefire as a condition of withdrawal (and/or withdrew as a condition of the ceasefire) but it didn't reach any sort of independent peace with North Vietnam. The US continued to supply South Vietnam with funds, materiel and advisors to the bitter end; there's a reason why the iconic image of the closing days of the war is helicopters departing the American Embassy in Saigon.

That is, by any conventional definition, losing the war.

Last edited:
From Wikipedia:

the Paris Peace Accords on 27 January 1973.[150]:508–13 This officially ended direct U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War, created a ceasefire between North Vietnam/PRG and South Vietnam, guaranteed the territorial integrity of Vietnam under the Geneva Conference of 1954, called for elections or a political settlement between the PRG and South Vietnam, allowed 200,000 communist troops to remain in the south, and agreed to a POW exchange. There was a sixty-day period for the total withdrawal of U.S. forces.

For the US, the war was over. Explain to me again how the US can lose a war it's not involved in.

From Wikipedia:

For the US, the war was over. Explain to me again how the US can lose a war it's not involved in.
By the eventual outcome being exactly what they went in to prevent.

Nah, nah, it's under Biden. It'll be 'AMERICA SUFFERS WORST DEFEAT SINCE VIETNAM UNDER DEMOCRATS'.

Wait. Ford was President when Vietnam fell. so under your theory, you mean: 'AMERICA SUFFERS WORST DEFEAT SINCE VIETNAM UNDER REPUBLICANS'.

The United States failed to achieve even its minimal war-goals, the continued independence of South Vietnam, while North Vietnam achieved its maximum war-goals, the unification of Vietnam under Northern control. Most people would understand this to mean "losing the war". That the United States did not suffer military defeat in the field is really just a technicality.

The war was OVER. Three years later, the north launched a new war in which the US was not involved. I maintain that a county cannot lose a war in which it is not involved. :p

The war was OVER. Three years later, the north launched a new war in which the US was not involved. I maintain that a county cannot lose a war in which it is not involved. :p
Doesn't matter, the US lost and it's all Obama's fault.

Hostilities between the North and South resumed about two months after the ceasefire came into effect. There was a delay of two years until the final Northern offensive, but it's not realistic to characterise the intervening time as a period of peace.

Last edited:
Maybe it's not really over at all. :)
The Vietnam War can be viewed as one of several proxy wars with Communists that started when the US, UK
and others sent troops to Russia to fight against Lenin's Bolsheviks (e.g. Battle of Bolshie Ozerki in 1919.)

There have been several lulls in outright hostilities,
"...but it's not realistic to characterise the intervening time as a period of peace." :)

There will be a trend for "Trump Putin 2024" bumper stickers. My vote for the tag line, "Why vote for the Lesser evil?".

lumping Putin with Trump ? A cool number ! Will it work ? Oh , let us see if it does ...

Kill Bolshevik !!
Glory to Poland , Glory to Ukraine !!

We would like to remind putin who's boss !!! This time we would raze Moscow !! (sadly the coward is hiding beneath the nuclear weapons !)

I wonder if anyone has played this nightmare scenario forward.

Trump and Biden run in 2024. One of the swing states that has made new laws to let the legislature override the will of the voters submits a slate of electors that does not reflect how that state actually went. That would give the election to Trump.

Harris now has to consider doing what Trump pressured Pence to do: reject that state's slate of electors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom