President Hugo Chavez dead at 58

Chavez isn't affecting my life so I don't care. There are a lot of people who die every day that I'm sure are more worthy of our time, attention, and sadness than Chavez. I have complete apathy.

If you had complete apathy, you wouldn't have posted here.

Indeed, yes. ;)

Chavez isn't affecting my life so I don't care. There are a lot of people who die every day that I'm sure are more worthy of our time, attention, and sadness than Chavez. I have complete apathy.

Actor Eddie Murphy is reported to have died shortly after a snowboard accident earlier today - March 5, 2013.

The actor & novice snowboarder was vacationing at the Zermatt ski resort in Zermatt, Switzerland with family and friends. Witnesses indicate that Eddie Murphy lost control of his snowboard and struck a tree at a high rate of speed.

Eddie Murphy was air lifted by ski patrol teams to a local hospital, however, it is believed that the actor died instantly from the impact of the crash. The actor was wearing a helmet at the time of the accident and drugs and alcohol do not appear to have played any part in his death.

http://eddie.murphy.mediafetcher.com/news/top_stories/actor_skiing.php

Chavez should have been President of Haiti. Or I'm just friends with a lot of Communists.

Is the House UnAmerican Activities Committee still active? Can I report these people? This lot is lucky the Cold War is over.

Rest in Peace, President Chavez.

the people of Haiti thank you.

Prayers for the people of Venezuela!

I've always had a certain affection for Pres Chavez - i realize now it was all the information stored in my unconscious.

He was a good man, and revolutionary. He said what many were afraid to say and demanded what many thought themselves and their people unworthy of-equality.

I absolutely 100% agree with your post!

Bush and Cheney steal the election in 2000, allow 9/11 to occur on their watch, lead us into a war in Iraq based on complete lies, subverted our Constitution with the Patriot Act, and ran our economy into the ground as a final coup de grace, but I'm supposed to believe them when they tell me that Chavez was a bad dude... GTFOH!

if you think he was a murderous tyrant, say so on your own post. This isn't up for discussion, not here anyway.

Bush and Cheney steal the election in 2000, allow 9/11 to occur on their watch, lead us into a war in Iraq based on complete lies, subverted our Constitution with the Patriot Act, and ran our economy into the ground as a final coup de grace, but I'm supposed to believe them when they tell me that Chavez was a bad dude... GTFOH!

You know what, here's my thing with Chavez (I agree with the first half of this, at least), he's a government official. We know he's dead because he's famous. But yet he, by virtue of being a government official, has ruined far more lives and done far more evil than a normal person is even capable of. Yet I'm supposed to feel bad that Chavez died, when lots of people that I don't even hear about die every day.

I'd feel the same way about our own leaders. I don't take joy when someone dies, especially when they suffer and die. But if its a government official, I am unlikely to care very much. RIP, sure, but I'm not mourning the guy. I care far more about people who die from malnutrition in Africa, or people who die because of US wars in the Middle East, than I care about Chavez.

Personally I hope Hugo was saved and is in glory with the Lord.

I heard from relatives that there are fireworks going off in Venezuela.
Whatever you do, don't mention that most people will apparently be having just the opposite reaction in Venezuela. But many the right wingers will certainly be celebrating, as they are in the US and elsewhere.

That doesn't mean much. I bet if Facebook was around back in the day, there would be RIP Franco posts as well.

I just entered to read what people was saying in the post, but this sentence obligates me to write although it is OT from the original topic. In Spain you can find papers that still write Franco's obituaries each November 20th (Franco's and Jose Antonio Primo de Rivera's, who died same day, different year). There is a conmemoration march each year as well in Valle de los caídos, where Franco is buried.

Another person dies, was he a puppet to US?

Meanwhile we shed our tears for this man, 50,000 ppl died around the world by starvation or ill health, today.

Someone isn't affecting your life, therefore you don't care about them?

This doesn't strike me as an example I should follow.

I have mixed feelings about Chavez. On the one hand, the press restrictions, many of the stronghanded measures, and the crime difficulties are all aspects of his rule that are quite negative. I would not have enjoyed living with them.

On the other hand, the reduction of poverty and increase in literacy is commendable. It's no wonder he had so many strong supporters.

I have mixed feelings on his anti-U.S. rhetoric. Some of it is plainly balderdash. But he was able to provide an alternate vision to South and Central America, and a more economically viable one than Cuba's - and in many ways that's better than the alternations between dictators, many of them CIA-aided but still cruel and oppressive, that was all too common 30-50 years ago. And his anti-American rhetoric is largely anti-imperialist, not jingoistic/militaristic as is Ahmadinejad's anti-Israeli rhetoric and North Korea's anti-everyone rhetoric.

On the other hand, I'm less sympathetic to Chavez than Castro. In large part because I think the U.S. is the cause of its own problems with regards to Cuba. Batista was American-supported and no good for Cuba. Castro was initially open to working with the U.S., but was rebuffed, and the Soviets were receptive. The U.S. gave him free propaganda with all its failed attempts to ouster his regime. And the ongoing U.S. embargo, likewise, serves only as a symbol of Cuban defiance and self-sufficiency these days. Chavez didn't have those things on his side, making him appear to be the good guy.

Regardless, an unfortunate way to pass, and at a relatively young age. Likewise, I wouldn't wish that fate on anyone. What comes next for Venezuela is hard to say. Hopefully, the transition to whatever comes next goes smoothly.

RIP El Presidente, you were a good man.
Земля пухом.

Quick informal poll:
How many people here know Chávez lead a military coup attempt in the 1990's to overthrow a democratic government?

I'm guessing none of his fans.

Top Bottom