PTW Prices, Dates, and Logo Info

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Both Amazon.com and EBGames.com have listed the pre-order prices and release dates for Civ3: Play the World expansion pack. Amazon's preorder price is $34.95 and the estimated release date is December 31, 2002. EbGames price is $29.99 and the date is November 26, 2002. Don't take these prices and release dates too seriously since they are only rough estimates... I hope no one is foolish enough to pre-order it this early (at least wait after E3). ;)

The Official Civ3 site has revealed the expansion pack logo:

Yeah, I remember laughing at all the people that pre-ordered from Amazon. I got my copy the day it came out for less money by going down to the mall. The ppl that preordered it had to wait many days after the game was released to get their stinking copy.
If MP is really goign to be in the game this time then I might have to take that day off....oh wait...I work 3rd shift! ;) Muhahahaha!

It seems to be normal Expansion pack prices....well the $29.99 does. What do you feel is normal expansion price?

Amazon's price $34.95 is a bit too high. My reservation price is $30 and not anymore than that.

I bought the Limited Edition and already paid like $60 for the game. :( If you ask me, I think Firaxis should give the expansion pack to owners of the Limited Edition for free or give 50% discount. :p (I know I am dreaming)

Originally posted by PaleHorse76
It seems to be normal Expansion pack prices....well the $29.99 does. What do you feel is normal expansion price?

For an expansion like Brood War that was nearly as big as the main game, 30 $ is not too high.
For an expansion like this one, who is merely a huge patch, 20 $ is a max.

Except for the new civs/units, all of these features (like expanded editor and MP) should have been included in the game for which I have already paid. So not only did I pay my hard earned cash to be what amounted to a Firaxis beta-tester when the original version came out, now they want me to pay again for what I should have gotten in the first place? I really think Firaxis is taking advantage of our love for the game to line its pockets, and I for one am not going to bite.

http://apolyton.net/misc/column/203_mistakes.shtml

Interesting that you link to an article that mentions SC 3k Unlimited. I believe Maxis offered a rebate (10 clams, I think) for folks who bought the XP right after it came out. Maybe Infogrames will do the same for Civ 3.1?

Originally posted by Franklyn
Interesting that you link to an article that mentions SC 3k Unlimited. I believe Maxis offered a rebate (10 clams, I think) for folks who bought the XP right after it came out. Maybe Infogrames will do the same for Civ 3.1?

That was really kind of you to provide the boys at Firaxis with such a hearty laugh right before the weekend!

Originally posted by Exsanguination
i wouldn't pay more than $20 for this patch.

Yea. But since it IS a patch for a beta product. . . why should we have to pay for it at all??

Answer: To make Firaxis richer.

I still want a rebate for the beta Civ 3, and no scenario-builder and I'm not even considering it.

we all know darn well that you can get Civ2 MP Gold for peanuts now - and long before it was even available, many of us bought the Civ2 era installments seperately. not because we had to - but because we wanted it >Now!< i was one of those people.

Firaxis / Sid Meier banks on the idea that people will be more eager to play their new games than they will be to save a few bucks in the long run. as a result, they have more capital to employ skilled, creative people to create kickass games.

i'm OK with this. i show i'm OK with it by purchasing their product the moment it's available. if you want to send a message to the company that you're more patient than me and that you think they charge too much, wait a year and then buy it for half off.

granted, if everyone did this, the company would more than likely go out of business. that's a free market for you.

there will be the equivelent of a Civ3 MP Gold someday, selling at about $15.00 in the bargain bin. one of you reading this may decide to wait until then to buy Civ3 MP, et al. but i seriously doubt that any of you will.

you're a Civ Fanatic, and in good company. accept the price of your addiction and move on! ;)

Originally posted by yelahneb
we all know darn well that you can get Civ2 MP Gold for peanuts now - and long before it was even available, many of us bought the Civ2 era installments seperately. not because we had to - but because we wanted it >Now!< i was one of those people.

Let's see... I bought Civ2 Classic in 1997, Civ2 Gold in 1999, and Civ2 Test of Time in 2000. :D

I know some people who bought Civ2: Conflicts in Civilization and Civ2: Fantastic Worlds expansions in addition to those 3 full games. That's spending money 5 times on Civ2. :eek:

Yelahneb has it right. In this culture we vote with our dollars, and many of you will "vote" for the expansion pack. Believe me I totally understand those of you who will, and I don't fault you for it. After playing Alpha Centauri to death I was first in line for Alien Crossfire, and I have spent a small fortune on the Half-Life and Age of Empires/Kings/Conquerors franchises. I don't remember ever consciously choosing whether or not to buy them, those games were so great I just bought the expansion pack without a thought and never regretted it. But somehow it is different for me with Civ III, and I just don't feel compelled to fork over the cash this time. Maybe I would feel differently had Firaxis delivered a better product the first time around, but this gamer's summer/fall strategy game budget is going towards Master of Orion III.

Too much talk about the price, let us talk about the game instead. I heard there were 3 types of multiplayer, turn-based, Real time and.......what was the third one? Does anybody know?

I cannot believe Firaxis wants to charge us $30 for a patch to fix civ3...don't give me that expansion pack hullabaloo..the game has not worked right from day one....and now they are going to charge us $30 to fix something they made a mess of...if I were a $2 hooker I would be yelling rape!!

Screw all that... This looks COOL! I'm buying and PLAYING the thing if it's as good as it seems.

ok, all yall gots problems. I bet almost all of you will have the XP before it is a month old. if you want to tell firaxis that you don't like their game, don't buy it and send your little message. But I think you will be buying the XP, and you will probly still be complaining about it after you buy it. I for one am proud to say I will be getting it when it first comes out. Cyall in line

I wouldn't pay any more than £20 (approx $28-30) for an expansion pack. If Firaxis try to sell it for any more than that, they can go screw themselves.

Unlike a lot of the moaners on here, I don't consider the expansion pack as a 'patch', but the extra features do not add enough to warrant a price equivalent to the cost of a whole new game. If they try to price it equivalent to a whole new game, that is what I will do instead - buy a whole new game (Warcraft III, Icewind Dale II and Neverwinter Nights should all be out by the release date).

Please bear that in mind when setting the price Firaxis.

Top Bottom