Python Performance and Interface Overhaul (PPIO)

let me first edit the C2CTheme_Common.thm and reinstall the modmod, then I come back with new screeenshots.
(When I searched for it I switched between C2C, ROM AND, BASE to find it. ROM AND is different, the font is set in languagesDefine.xml and BASE uses the vanilla. Need to verify that now is all back to C2C and nothing mixed.)

Last edited:
Sounds like you have some unique modifications to BtS that is in conflict with PPIO, and quite significantly so.
it's a special version Firaxis made for me :lol:
serious:
1) minimap is OK
2) replace the blue, please, or say where I can change it
3) looks like there are two different problems with the unwanted "TEXT..."
the one, that is in PPIO only, that is the "COLOR_HIGHLIGHT_TEXT" left up corner (see 003.JPG)
the second, that is in BUG, that I have in both, in C2C and PPIO
but both is related to something with "color" of the textline
4) if the mouseover windows sizes are automatically related to the text shown, then I would mean that there is too much text shown, maybe some of foelds description can get removed to make the lines shorter and by that the mouseover windows smaller. Currently they overlap too much. (maybe also caused by the TEXT instead color or icon.)
5) screenshots I attach:
001-BUG_in_C2C.JPG + 001-BUG_in_PPIO.JPG
002 loading.JPG with terrible blue, showing how it looks with Arial and vanilla font sizes (I have 1900 x 1200 and for that yours is too big)
003.JPG - 004.JPG - 004.JPG text issues, with "color" and then those with [ICON_MOVES] where the keyword gets shown instead showing that for what the keyword is set.

Attachments

• 001-BUG_in_C2C.JPG
    001-BUG_in_C2C.JPG
    302.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 001-BUG_in_PPIO.JPG
    001-BUG_in_PPIO.JPG
    982.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 002 loading.JPG
    002 loading.JPG
    381.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    181.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Weird that you have a picture of a galaxy in your loading screen where others usually have a picture of a hard drive.
That was just a curiosity, while the other stuff are problems.​

I think the window background color is also defined in C2CTheme_Common.thm.

Perhaps this line:
GColor .BG = GColor( 69, 93,156,217)​

Your olive green/gold color is probably closer to (150, 150, 40)
That fourth and last number (217) is the alpha value, or in normal tongue, the transparency. 0 means invisible and 255 means no transparency.
You probably need to change more than one of those lines to get the color you want everywhere you want it, the lines around that one I pointed out may also be of interest then.

Last edited:
Weird that you have a picture of a galaxy in your loading screen where others usually have a picture of a hard drive.
That was just a curiosity, while the other stuff are problems.​

I think the window background color is also defined in C2CTheme_Common.thm.

Perhaps this line:
GColor .BG = GColor( 69, 93,156,217)​

Your olive green/gold color is probably closer to (150, 150, 40)
That fourth and last number (217) is the alpha value, or in normal tongue, the transparency. 0 means invisible and 255 means no transparency.
You probably need to change more than one of those lines to get the color you want everywhere you want it, the lines around that one I pointed out may also be of interest then.
thanks, looks like I have to experiment something

The TEXT issue is not only the tooltips, see 006 TEXT issue.jpg

Edit:
another difference to C2C is that in C2C the mouseover tooltip has a fixed width and text has line break, PPIO has no fix width and no line break. C2C is much better, also the transparency.

Attachments

• 006 TEXT issue.jpg
    006 TEXT issue.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I think what's happening is that you are using a very old version that been getting overwritten with newer versions.

Could you save your current data to somewhere else, download a fresh and new version (38.5 or wait for 39) and then install PPIO and report if your still experiencing these issues?

I think what's happening is that you are using a very old version that been getting overwritten with newer versions.
Could you save your current data to somewhere else, download a fresh and new version (38.5 or wait for 39) and then install PPIO and report if your still experiencing these issues?
your thinking is false, I have a fresh SVN installation revision: 10637
Furthermore: most of these are PPIO exclusive issues. Working C2C SVN ist the reference in any case, issues caused by changes or additions or deletions made by PPIO. (wherever)
compare 006.jpg above with 007.jpg here. Its same mouseover oer same ship. Difference is also what information is shown. Means, made changes in details.

The most simple problem fix would be it the original C2C interface is taken instead the new PPIO and then remove the superfluous parts but let all other, related design, unchanged.

Attachments

• 007 tooltip as 006 but C2C original.jpg
    007 tooltip as 006 but C2C original.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Is your version of Civ 4 + Civ 4 BTS also freshly installed?
no, but that is irrelevant. C2C works fine. PPIO is responsible to work fine with it, too, as PPIO is a modmod of C2C, not a mod of Bts
(and fresh installation of Civ IV and BtS is NO option for me because I also have anstalled ROM AND + BASE, which both work fine.)
Your point is to exclude the problem instead to analyse and fix it, not an acceptable way for me.
I only have two options: either PPIO works fine with C2C SVN and the design problems I get managed, or not and I don't run PPIO.
Issues are all design issues, not really needed to have PPIO working fine. PPIO is made to increase performance, not to present a new designer result.

no, but that is irrelevant. C2C works fine. PPIO is responsible to work fine with it, too, as PPIO is a modmod of C2C, not a mod of Bts
(and fresh installation of Civ IV and BtS is NO option for me because I also have anstalled ROM AND + BASE, which both work fine.)
Your point is to exclude the problem instead to analyse and fix it, not an acceptable way for me.
I only have two options: either PPIO works fine with C2C SVN and the design problems I get managed, or not and I don't run PPIO.
Issues are all design issues, not really needed to have PPIO working fine. PPIO is made to increase performance, not to present a new designer result.
Use English language.
Also update your mod, since its bit outdated.

When switching to german language i have also Text Errors....
Something is very wrong on your side.
Hopefully you didn't extract PPIO or other mods straight into BTS folder.

Also indeed there is something glitchy going on with German translation.
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2019-07-12 14-56-05-06.png
Civ4BeyondSword 2019-07-12 14-55-12-93.png
Dwm 2019-07-12 14-53-29-76.png

Of course not !!
Path is ...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos
Here are some more:

P.S. : I could help to translate , i have a lot of free time...Civ4ScreenShot0011.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0010.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0009.JPG Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

Of course not !!
Path is ...\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos
Here are some more:

P.S. : I could help to translate , i have a lot of free time...View attachment 529406 View attachment 529407 View attachment 529408 View attachment 529409
Looks like something is faulty with [STUFF] entries here as if text formatting/icon entries was broken for translations.

Those works fine without PPIO here except for some text in automations tab.
Also you can see that translations are very incomplete.
Spoiler :

Civ4BeyondSword 2019-07-12 15-10-17-62.png
Civ4BeyondSword 2019-07-12 15-10-41-52.png
Civ4BeyondSword 2019-07-12 15-09-57-43.png
Civ4BeyondSword 2019-07-12 15-10-54-61.png
Civ4BeyondSword 2019-07-12 15-08-15-98.png
Civ4BeyondSword 2019-07-12 15-07-42-14.png

Looks like something is faulty with [STUFF] entries here as if text formatting/icon entries was broken for translations.
Those works fine without PPIO here except for some text in automations tab.
the source of these issues is that the code string of the text lines in case is different fron the code string in original C2C, (imaybe i.E. BOLD, that prevents correct showing of the icons etc.), and this difference is not managed by the translation.
So simply remove these difference (addtional design line parts) and you have the same string as C2C and it works fine.
Means: PPIO w/o the PPIO new design but with original design. That's all. For performance the new design is not essential, and the PPIO design does not provide any significant advantage, it is not necessary.

the source of these issues is that the code string of the text lines in case is different fron the code string in original C2C, (imaybe i.E. BOLD, that prevents correct showing of the icons etc.), and this difference is not managed by the translation.
So simply remove these difference (addtional design line parts) and you have the same string as C2C and it works fine.
Means: PPIO w/o the PPIO new design but with original design. That's all. For performance the new design is not essential, and the PPIO design does not provide any significant advantage, it is not necessary.
The Main reason why PPIO is faster is that the tooltip is not handled by the exe anymore, this is because the exe caches every single tooltip that could exist on your current screen before it shows any of the interface on the screen. The new python handled tooltip creates the text content on demand, meaning when the mouse is over an object. Just imagine opening the building category in the pedia and the pedia won't list the buildings before after it has cached the complete tooltip text for every single building.

A big problem in C2C is that tooltips disappear out of screen because the fixed small width of it creates far too many line breaks. The dynamic width tooltip is imo an essential feature of PPIO.
I could add a bug option where you can choose different max width though.
Another goodie is that the new tooltip allows you to switch between shift/alt/ctrl view without taking the mouse out and in of the tooltip trigger area for units and buildings.
When switching to german language i have also Text Errors....
Which means I was right in my suspicion, it is very strange that different languages handles text so very different without it affecting base C2C...
Now I have a path to investigate the issue on at least.

Stranger yet is that I don't get these problems when using German language...
1.jpg
Edit: I changed language in-game without getting problems, but it turns out that when exiting and restarting the game with the german language the dll had lots of errors during game launch.

Last edited:
Found out that the dll gets an error during game launch (before main menu) when PPIO asks for the name of a certain combat class <German>[Größe] normal</German> in a loop where it asks for the name of every combat class for caching purposes.
This only happens with German, the mod launch just fine with all other languages. So I'm guessing that the dll has a problem with that "[Größe]" word so early in the initialization process.
PPIO initializes the military advisor unit grouping scheme a lot earlier with PPIO than it does without PPIO which may be the reason why this doesn't happen without PPIO.

The dll somehow does not like the usage of [ ] without it being a code for something at this early stage of game initialization.
After changing the parenthesis to () for all those the next point the dll crashed was at:
<German>[Geschwindigkeit] langsam</German> which is later in the combat class xml than the [Größe] combat classes.

And after fixing those parenthesis the dll crashes at
<German>[Kampfart] ausschließlich Nahkampf</German>
etc.
I either have to make the military advicor initialize later or change out all those parenthesis for combat class translation for german...

And after cleaning up the problems with unit combat types name translation the same error happens with promotions where the unit grouper scheme wants to cache the name of all promotions.
Ugh <German>[Weiterentwicklung] Wiederherstellung I</German>.

Ok, so there was only that one problem with promotions and the game loaded up without any errors, could not find any text problems when loading a save and browsing the game with the german language.

Last edited:
Thanks for Investigation and solving these problems !!!
It was a strange issue, but with the next SVN revision + the next PPIO update where the SVN changes are incorporated to PPIO these errors will be fixed for German language players.
I chose to fix it mainly on the SVN so that I don't have to add a big text xml file to PPIO just to fix this odd and particular translation problem.
That way I only had to modify a couple of lines in the Promotions_CIV4GameText.xml file which is already included in PPIO due to me adding one new promotion related to getting the tribal guardian to become one with the settler created when abandoning a city where a tribal guardian is disbanded. (A nomad start consideration)

Last edited:
Top Bottom