Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

In fact, in Vanilla and Warlords, two points are killing the AI: seiges that kill and AI that never whips urgent units like BTS, meaning that slow war is not as damageable as in BTS.

I just got the Beyond the Sword expansion on Steam, and I was trying for a cultural victory. I am just playing a standard game (500 turns), and yet I have three cities past 50,000 but it hasn't declared me victorious. Did the amount of culture for a standard cultural victory change in BTS?

P.S. I'm a Beyond the Sword newbie, but not to Civilization in general. Sorry if this was the wrong place to post!

And dont forget it is x3 cities ;)

hehe stupid me You already have 50 000 than I dont know what is wrong - You need to check Your settings - it is scaled depending on map size and time scale ! :D afaik

edit 2: city screen "purple bar" will show You if Your city is legendary or not ;)

I just got the Beyond the Sword expansion on Steam, and I was trying for a cultural victory. I am just playing a standard game (500 turns), and yet I have three cities past 50,000 but it hasn't declared me victorious. Did the amount of culture for a standard cultural victory change in BTS?

P.S. I'm a Beyond the Sword newbie, but not to Civilization in general. Sorry if this was the wrong place to post!

You're in the right spot. As a couple of other have suggested, check your settings and/or cities.
F

hi, everyone.
I registered to share a nice Game of Thrones Szenario, I made for FFH2. It really fine. I uploaded it nearly two weeks ago and still have no approval. This is really anoying. How long do i have to wait. I would like to update the file to make the balance better. But i dont want to wait 2 weeks everytime. I found an information that i have to write 30 posts to avoid the approval time. Is that a joke? Can someone explain the sense of this. I played FFH2 so many times and i put a lot of time into this szenario. I made it for me and my friends, because we play it nearly every weekend for years now. I am sure other people would like it.
That´s my intern link. http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=21022 maybe it works one day...

I noticed that in BtS not only the UUs, but also some of the standard units have nation-specific graphics. Is there any rule which ones appear in the standard graphics and which ones are specific?
I actually find it somewhat confusing, because on first glance e.g. the Greek (I think) horse archer looks almost like a knight or whatever.

I noticed that in BtS not only the UUs, but also some of the standard units have nation-specific graphics. Is there any rule which ones appear in the standard graphics and which ones are specific?
I actually find it somewhat confusing, because on first glance e.g. the Greek (I think) horse archer looks almost like a knight or whatever.

Warlords and Vanilla versions are the reference. At that moment, all civs have the same scouts, archers, etc.
I think BTS just took the graphics of certain Warlords' scenarios like Chinese Unification, Rise of Rome, etc. It's not like they work all those new graphics from scrap.

Civilization specific unit graphics, rather than actual UUs, are specified in the Civilizations\CIV4UnitArtStyleTypeInfos.xml file and are based on the civ's UnitArtStyleType tag (UNIT_ARTSTYLE_GRECO_ROMAN, for example) in CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml.

Only a few units get different graphics for any art style type. There are 5 unit art styles and a total of 37 entries for changing the appearance of a unit.

Some mods have way more unit's changed like this. Varietas Delectat, for example, which is also included in some other mods like Quot Capita.

I always make more HAs than I should as Rome 'cuz they look so cool. :mischief:

hi, everyone.
I registered to share a nice Game of Thrones Szenario, I made for FFH2. It really fine. I uploaded it nearly two weeks ago and still have no approval. This is really anoying. How long do i have to wait. I would like to update the file to make the balance better. But i dont want to wait 2 weeks everytime. I found an information that i have to write 30 posts to avoid the approval time. Is that a joke? Can someone explain the sense of this. I played FFH2 so many times and i put a lot of time into this szenario. I made it for me and my friends, because we play it nearly every weekend for years now. I am sure other people would like it.
That´s my intern link. http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=21022 maybe it works one day...

I hope you do not feel you are being ignored, this is a really friendly site and I hope you stick around. I cannot speak for the mods, but I am aware of the issue with spam and such, and nefarious people would take the opportunity to upload mal-ware if they did not have a check. I expect they are busy but I am sure they will get to it.

Does Julius Caesar DoW at pleased?
Julie's peace probability weight at Pleased is 90%. From Anion's Reference Guide:
Each round, every AI will run a Declaration of War check against every other civilization. This check involves an evaluation of relative military strengths, defensive pacts, logistical considerations (shared borders, ocean crossings), existing conflicts, etc. The Peace Probability percentages above indicate the likelihood that an AI will ignore a decision to declare war due to diplomatic factors.
So yes, but it's a relatively small possibility. Most of the AI's have a peace probability weight at Pleased of either 90% or 100%, but a few of them have a ranking of 80%--these tend to be the most notorious back-stabbers and psychos (Monty, Catherine, Alexander, Mao, Qin).

I would ask this in the FFH2 forum, but it seems silent. Anyway, I just installed the More Naval AI modmod and I was wondering why does it not allow me to rename my units by clicking on their names on the bottom left corner? On vanilla FFH2, it works, but in More Naval, it doesn't.

EDIT: Figured out how it works now, you click just on the direct BOTTOM LEFT where the name is, not ON the name itself.

A custom civilization doesn't appear in the civilopedia. And every civilization that would be below it is missing. (I can still select them from the leaders tab), but if I try to play as my custom civ, the game crashes.

I know there is something wrong with the custom civ's files, but I am not sure what it is.

Can anybody help me?

A custom civilization doesn't appear in the civilopedia. And every civilization that would be below it is missing. (I can still select them from the leaders tab), but if I try to play as my custom civ, the game crashes.

I know there is something wrong with the custom civ's files, but I am not sure what it is.

Can anybody help me?

The very first thing to do: make sure you used the right civilization info format. If you are modding BtS you must start with the BtS version of CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml, not the vanilla version or the Warlords version. BtS added at least one tag to the XML from what Warlords has, for example.

Second, check your art references. If your ArtDefineTag does not point to an entry that actually exists in CIV4ArtDefines_Civilization.xml you will have serious problem. Then check that art define itself. The Button must point to a correct .dds file or atlas, using the correct syntax: if it is just a dds file it must just be "Art/whatever/file.dds" without any leading comma, but if it is using an entry from an atlas it must have a leading comma, a "dummy filespec", and then the atlas data like ",Art/whatever/file.dds,Art/whatever/some_Atlas.dds,x,y" were "x" and "y" are numbers indicating which position in the atlas to use. Likewise, the Path entry for the flag must be valid.

After that, it could be anything in the civilization info file that is wrong. Checking the leaders and UU and UB entries are good things to check next as they are often changed for a new civ (which is often otherwise a copy of some other civ).

Also, you can turn on various error reporting things in the main CivilizationIV.ini file so that when things go wrong it is more likely to tell you about them and provide some hint as to what the problem is.

The very first thing to do: make sure you used the right civilization info format. If you are modding BtS you must start with the BtS version of CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml, not the vanilla version or the Warlords version. BtS added at least one tag to the XML from what Warlords has, for example.

Second, check your art references. If your ArtDefineTag does not point to an entry that actually exists in CIV4ArtDefines_Civilization.xml you will have serious problem. Then check that art define itself. The Button must point to a correct .dds file or atlas, using the correct syntax: if it is just a dds file it must just be "Art/whatever/file.dds" without any leading comma, but if it is using an entry from an atlas it must have a leading comma, a "dummy filespec", and then the atlas data like ",Art/whatever/file.dds,Art/whatever/some_Atlas.dds,x,y" were "x" and "y" are numbers indicating which position in the atlas to use. Likewise, the Path entry for the flag must be valid.

After that, it could be anything in the civilization info file that is wrong. Checking the leaders and UU and UB entries are good things to check next as they are often changed for a new civ (which is often otherwise a copy of some other civ).

Also, you can turn on various error reporting things in the main CivilizationIV.ini file so that when things go wrong it is more likely to tell you about them and provide some hint as to what the problem is.

I looked through the files like you said, I couldn't find anything wrong.

Turned on error reporting and this was what I got when I go to the Civilization screen in the Civilopedia:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvScreensInterface", line 206, in pediaMain
File "CvPediaMain", line 873 in pediaJump
File "CvPediaMain", line 244 in ShowScreen
File "CvPediaMain", line 517 in placeCivs

Runtimeerror: Unidentifiable C++ exception

And then when I clicked on one of the leaders of the missing civ:

File "CvScreensInterface", line 251, in pediaJumpToLeader
File "CvPediaMain", line 897, in PediaJump
File "CvPediaLeader", line 90, in InterfaceScreen
File "CvPediaLeader", line 99 in PlaceCiv

Runetimeerror: Unidentifiable C++ exception

If I go to the Civilization list and click on my "missing" civ this is the error report:

File "CvScreensInterface", line 248, in PediaJumptoCiv
File "CvPediaMain", line 895, in PediaJump
File "CvPediaCivilization", line 88, in InterfaceScreen

Attribute Error: 'Nonetype' object has no attribute "Get Button"
I have know idea what any of this means. I looked through the files and I don't see anything wrong. When I delete the section that is causing me problems it is fixed. I have even tried copy+pasting the previous civ and editing what needed to be editied. Nothing is working.

So, what is going on that I can fix?

I looked through the files like you said, I couldn't find anything wrong.

Turned on error reporting and this was what I got when I go to the Civilization screen in the Civilopedia:

File "CvScreensInterface", line 206, in pediaMain
File "CvPediaMain", line 873 in pediaJump
File "CvPediaMain", line 244 in ShowScreen
File "CvPediaMain", line 517 in placeCivs

Runtimeerror: Unidentifiable C++ exception

At that point in the code (line 517 in CvPediaMain.py) it is trying to get the button for the civilization. So there is almost certainly something wrong with the button definition or, maybe, the actual image file used for the button.

What is the actual significance of the "ages" in the game? Does anything change by entering the classical, medieval etc. age? Any relevance for tech cost or trading? Should one delay certain techs to remain longer in the older age or should one strife to enter the next age as quickly as possible?

Top Bottom