1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

If you're asking if culture at the southern end of your empire will help push your northern borders, then no, it won't. Culture expands radially from each of your cities- the furthest a tile can be from a city and still be affected by its culture is 6 tiles (and only if that city has Legendary culture).

However, if you have two or more cities producing culture on a tile, I think both of them will "work together" for your empire in order to claim a tile from a rival. Examle: in the screenshot you posted, let's say that some AI dropped a city on the ice 1 tile NE of that mountain, denying you that Fur that's just outside Oxford's and Newcastle's BFCs. When either one of those cities pop their borders, you'd start getting culture in that tile. When both cities pop their borders, you'd get Newcastle's culture plus Oxford's culture against the one city that the AI has- making it easier to take that tile. So basically whatever you have going on on your northern border, if you can get two (or three) cities all producing culture in a tile, it makes it that much easier to take it.

(Experts and code-divers, if I'm wrong on that second part, please let me know...)

2. Sidder

Sidder Chieftain

Ye thats whats I was looking for :D

As I was pondering has it any use for me get culture building at all down there, clearly not then saves some hammers again cheers :goodjob:

3. EasyCompany

EasyCompany Chieftain

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere, but the forum is HUGE and can get overwhelming when searching for a specific answer. My question...

Are increases in strength, health, etc compounded when multiple promotions are made?

Example: City Raider III, does the unit get the 20% upgrade from CRI, plus the 25% upgrade for CRII and the 30% upgrade for CRIII when attacking a city or does the unit only get the 30% increase when attacking a city. Say a unit with base strength of 10 has CRIII. Is it attacking a city at (10+2.0+2.5+3.0 = 17.5 strength) OR (10+3.0 = 13 strength)

Thanks in advance!

4. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

CR promos are cumulative. As in 20+25+30...
    The effects are done of the defender where the unit loses strength.
    Only strength promo line affects the attacker when it comes to your own promos.

5. frisbee

frisbee Chieftain

Cumulative (0.2+0.25+0.3) not compounded (1.2*1.25*1.3). Additionally, City Raider is subtracted from the defender.

Example:
    City Raider 3 Sword has a +75%.
    City Garrison 1 Archer has +20% (ignoring all other bonuses)

So the combat odds radio would be 6 / [3*(20%-75%)] = 4.44

6. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

Guys, would anyone here kknow how to delete old Alt S sign on your map? One can create signs using Alt S or F11, selecting sign. F11 also allows ro delete, which works on F11 signs but not on Alt S signs, sadly :confused:

7. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

To delete an Alt-S sign, just press Alt-S and then click on the sign. It will go away.

8. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

I did that :( But it did nothing, even though I was expecting empty box for new message, which I would leave blank. No box appeared. Neither did right click work with Alt S.

9. Historybuff

Historybuff The title isn't long enou

Go into strategy layer and there is a delete feature(You have to be zoomed far out).

10. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

After you press Alt-S: If you click on a tile with no sign, you get the empty box. If you click on a tile (not the sign itself) with a sign on it, the sign goes away. In vanilla, you are still in sign mode and press Alt-S again to exit. In BTS, you exit immediately after removing the sign or closing the box. If you put the sign there in strategy layer, you probably need to remove it in that mode as per Historybuff's post.

11. muditk

muditk Chieftain

I hope this is the right place to ask this question.

I was wondering where to begin with Civ IV. Should I start with Vanilla and then move through the expansions chronologically? or should I just play the Beyond the Sword from the get-go?

Also I was lead to believe Colonization was an expansion pack, but that seems to have its own section on this site, so Im guessing that its seen as a different game altogether.

Some background: I have been lead to believe that I would enjoy Civ due to the fact that I love most of the Total War series as well as the CnC RTS games. I just played Civ 3 for 8 hous and didnt enjoy it at all so I thought I'd try Civ IV instead.

12. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

@muditk: I didn't like Civ3 either but I became a diehard civ4 fan, although it would be helpful to know what you didn't like about civ3 to really advise you on that matter. The Total War series falls more in the tactical wargame genre IMO, while civ4 is definitely more about strategy and much less about tactics.

As for what to begin with, I'd advise starting with BtS right away. It's so much better than vanilla or Warlords. Later on you can also browse the mods section on this forum, there are some excellent ones :)

Yes, Colonization is more of a standalone game.

13. Olson

Olson Chieftain

About 2/3 of CivIV is the same as CivIII. Since you "didn't enjoy it [CivIII] at all" then the most you could enjoy CivIV is 33% more. Colonization is a stand alone game and not like Civ.

14. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

There are many people who didn't like Civ III but love Civ IV. It simply does not follow. Some of the key differences which might induce someone to like IV but not III include:

1) there are far fewer cities in CivIV
    2) diplomacy is far better
    3) the AI is better
    4) the corruption model is completely different

There are those who prefer Civ III because of 1). They like having empires with hundreds of cities. There are those who hate Civ III because of 4). There are even people who like Civ V :eek:

It's all a matter of taste.

15. Manco Capac

I hate CivIII because of 4).

Personally, CivIII represents a big handcuff to me. So many limitations. You can't tech faster than 4 turns tech. You can't do anything to rush a wonder. Corruption. There were others but I can't recall them. Once I started my first Civ4 game, I felt complete freedom. Maintenance was a drop of a problem compared what CivIII had as problems.

16. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

I played hundreds of hours of Civ III (like I and II before that). Loved all of them. It actually took a long time before moved completely to Civ IV because I preferred the graphics and UI of Civ III. BUG helped a lot to correct that.

17. Manco Capac

I admit CivIII graphics had a nice feeling to it.

18. TheMulattoMaker

TheMulattoMaker Dictator of RF

Does playing "Random Personalities" ever roll IND/PHI, or does it always give leader combos that actually exist in the game?

19. Manco Capac

Random Personalities do not have anything to do with traits. Traits are immuable to leader.

20. Lennier

Lennier Chieftain

Same here. I felt like the Failaxis developers decided that I couldn't have an empire larger than a certain size. That might not have been so bad if the AI was willing to leave me alone when I got to that size. They just sorta decided that certain things in Civ II were OP, and took a sledge-hammer approach to fixing them. I eventually went back to Civ II. (I liked the Civ II graphics better than the Civ III graphics. :p )