1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Maccadon

Maccadon Chieftain

Hello

I recently re-installed CIV4 because I want to play a big marathon game and try take over the world again. However I have a problem.

BTS works fine, but the original Vanilla does not start up. "This program has known compatibility issues". Warlords does the same.

It is BTS I want to play however I want to use a mod. The mod is called Civilizations, it slows tech and allows 50 nations to play, adding extra countries to to allow that.

For some reason when I go into advanced options and load the mod it says "Civ4 has stopped working" similar to when I try to launch warlords so I assume the problem is related to the same issue causing the vanilla and warlords version not to work.

Can anyone help with this?

I have tried different compatibility modes for the vanilla version as well as in administrator mode. No success.

2. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

What OS are you using? Which update versions of the three CIV programs?

3. robinv

robinv Chieftain

Hi everybody, a newbie question (for BTS and 3,19 patch): can a forrest spread to an adjacent tile that previously had been chopped?

4. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

Yes indeed.

5. robinv

robinv Chieftain

Hey, very thanks, really fast :)

and how the spreading work? all randomly?

6. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

It works randomly but it can only spread to a tile if it has at least one neighbouring forested tile. And no improvements (other than roads) obviously.

7. robinv

robinv Chieftain

Oh, i see, very thx UnforcedError

8. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

Some more forest spreading facts:

Roads and Railroads halve the chance of forests spreading to them, a Forest Preserve makes it eight times more likely that a forest spreads to a neighboring tile, which isn't as good as it sounds since the original chance is so tiny in the first place, and jungles have a better chance to spread than forests. Forests and Jungles also don't spread diagonally, only north, south, west and east. The chance for a forest or jungle growing gets higher if it has several forests or jungles next to it. The most likely situation for forests to spread is when a tile has no improvement or road, no resource, and is surrounded by forests to the north, east, west and south which all are themselves preserved.

9. rememberthecapt

rememberthecapt Chieftain

Hello everyone,
    This is my first post to this wonderful site of yours. I am in need of some help.

I just bought Civ 4 the complete edition from my local walmart (which was the only copy of 4 they had), brought it home and went through the installation process. Upon starting the game, it only allows me to play colonization. I have seen posts about installing this version onto Vista but I am installing onto Windows 8.

Has anyone had any success with experiencing this issue?

10. rememberthecapt

rememberthecapt Chieftain

Nevermind. I found it. I just asnt paying enough attention. :crazyeye:

11. UnforcedError

UnforcedError Settler

Nevertheless, welcome to CFC [party]

12. kenwyn

kenwyn Master

Anyone know if Civ 4 BTS will run on Windows 7 Pro?
    I'd like to get rid of this ultra-lame Vista now that Win 7 prices are quite reasonable.

Add-on Q = how about Civ 5? (assuming updates no longer REQUIRE privacy-invading "Steam")

Thanks for any/all help/advice.

13. Danelius90

Danelius90 Hunter (of vegetables)

My Gold Edition always worked on my windows 7 system, and currently on windows 8. BTS disc works on 7 definitely, never tried it on my new one.
    My friend has Civ5 on windows 7 and works fine too :)

14. kenwyn

kenwyn Master

Thanks... now if i can find out if Civ 5 still REQUIRES the invasive "Steam", i may give it another try.

15. Jwitti

Jwitti Judas Maccabeus

Unfortunately I believe it does. I've had it on steam on my windows 7 too and no problems. If you find one there's probably also an easy fix already too

16. kenwyn

kenwyn Master

Thanks mucho. Found out Steam is "only" required once to register against copy protection.

BTW: Interesting prior lifetime... in Malta.

17. Jwitti

Jwitti Judas Maccabeus

Oh yes it's one of my favorite periods in history :D one of the best book I've read was a historical fiction of the seige, excellent research and great description. But that's enough off-topic for now :D

18. Yxklyx

Yxklyx King

Could not find a thread on this. How do Privateers make money exactly? I've been messing around with a save game and World builder and I can only get one of them to plunder a city even though I have several more in the stack or vicinity. I thought in the past that each one would plunder a city and generate money - were they nerfed at some point?

19. dalamb

dalamb Deity

You get money if a port is blocked. It doesn't matter how many privateers are blocking. But you want a stack anyway so they can protect each other -- with one of them being a Medic I. I find stacks of 4 work out well -- maybe even saw that as advice from someone more experienced.

See Privateers for Dummies. Not that anyone is calling anyone else a dummy; it's a reference to a popular book series.

20. Yxklyx

Yxklyx King

Thanks, I did read that thread and it didn't mention that it doesn't matter how many are blockading or how the money is calculated. I could swear that in an earlier version of the game that each ship was generating income. If one ship blockades two ports will it get money from both? I would have expected that but it didn't seem to be the case in my limited testing.

Edit: there is some more info in the replies which I didn't fully read...