1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Sisiutil

Sisiutil All Leader Challenger

Yes, if the same ship can be positioned to blockade more than one city, it earns more money.

2. dalamb

dalamb Deity

I'm pretty sure that a blockade has to generate income from every port in its "blocking region", since you can blockade from offshore instead of being adjacent to a particular port.

3. Sicilian Hound

Sicilian Hound Chieftain

So, I have been playing Civ, for over 5 years, I think I have Civ myself out. I know sounds impossible!... But I have played and beat Civ on all levels of difficulty, maps, scenarios and most mods (civ4, civ bts) So now I am looking for new things to do on Civ like modding. I just have one thing to ask on modding.. How do I add extra civs? I know how to use the world-builder inside out but not quit sure how to do other things that relate to modding. Could someone shed some light please?

4. Jwitti

Jwitti Judas Maccabeus

The simplest thing is to play with the XML code in the program files. THe CFC forum has a ton of tutorials by people better at explaining than I am : http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177

But I learned most of the XML stuff by myself so it can't be that hard :D

5. mastrude

mastrude Paraclete of Kaborka

I don't know whether this is the right thread to ask a newb question about a mod, but here it is: In the Rise from Erebus mod, I've been playing the Malakim, the desert dwellers. I've been constructing fire and water mana locations, but roads to them soon blow away and I can't teach my adepts to use fire and water mana in my cities, or even at the node. The road through the node itself seems to last, but I can't use the nodes at all.

At first I wondered whether there was a tech I was missing. I had read that the malakim take any desert tile as a road, but this wasn't working. I found a tech named Dune Speaking, but never saw a way to research it, and it wasn't listed among the pre-discovered techs for the Malakim.

Iron mines seemed to work. I could upgrade military to iron from elsewhere. But mana didn't.

I speculated that maybe Malakim weren't allowed to have water mana, but the problem existed with fire also.

Does anyone with experience of RiFE know the answer? Those with only knowledge of Vanilla or FFH2 won't be able to answer, since it's clear RiFE works differrently.

6. Jwitti

Jwitti Judas Maccabeus

This isn't the right thread at all! :D HOWEVER I know a little about FFH and RifE and I think the mana has to be connected to your capital to be used.

7. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

Does anyone know the consequences of defying a UN resolution and what needs to occur to make the negative effects to "go away"?

8. Michkov

Michkov Emperor

Unhappiness penalty, at least for defying peace resolutions. IMO they last the same time as wiping unhappiness

9. Samson

Samson Deity

I think they last untill the next vote that you do not defy. And I think it is for all resolutions, any time you select "Never! (defy resolution)".

10. nfw

nfw King

The resolution has to pass and you voted yes for the penalty to go away.

11. Sisiutil

To be more accurate, to result in "the world considers you a villain" unhappiness, the resolution had enough votes to pass had you not defied it. By defying it, the resolution doesn't pass.

12. Lennier

Lennier Emperor

Yes, but nfw said to have the "world considers you a vilian" anger to go away, you must vote "yes" for a resolution that passes.

13. Sisiutil

Hmm... maybe, I've never seen that, maybe because I've never done it. I think it goes away over time, eventually.

14. mir092

mir092 Chieftain

Hi, I am wondering how to alter text that is shown when talking to a leader?

For example Washington would say "Hi, I'm washington lalala"
    So for my custom leader which file do I have to edit to change this? :confused:

15. Yxklyx

Yxklyx King

Do you mean when he first talks to you? That's in GameInfo\Civ4DiplomacyInfos.xml. Search for AI_DIPLOCOMMENT_FIRST_CONTACT - I don't think this can be modularized.

16. mir092

mir092 Chieftain

so it is impossible to edit what a leader will say?

17. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

You certainly can. It's one of the easiest modification because still within the realm of XML files.
    The one concerned is: CIV4GameText_DiplomacyText_BTS.xml found in Assets/XML/Text.
    A point to add: this file is only for the new leaders coming straight from BTS. For the others, you have to delve into the Vanilla parent folder of BTS where there is its own Assets/XML/Text/CIV4DiplomacyText.xml.

An excerpt from the said file:

Code:
    <TEXT>
    		<Tag>AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_BOUDICA_1</Tag>
    		<English>Welcome, [CT_NAME]! Mighty [OUR_CIV_SHORT] seeks peace with your weak little civilization. For the moment, that is.</English>
    		<French>Bienvenue, [CT_NAME] ! Les puissants [OUR_CIV_SHORT:3] veulent la paix avec votre misérable civilisation. Enfin, pour l'instant.</French>
    		<German>Willkommen, [CT_NAME]! Das mächtige Volk von [OUR_CIV_SHORT] wünscht friedvolle Beziehungen zu Eurer bedauernswerten Nation. Zumindest für den Augenblick ...</German>
    		<Italian>Ti do il benvenuto, [CT_NAME]! [OUR_CIV_SHORT] vuole la pace con la tua piccola e debole civiltà. Per il momento, almeno.</Italian>
    		<Spanish>¡Os doy la bienvenida, [CT_NAME]! La poderosa tierra de [OUR_CIV_SHORT] busca la paz con vuestra débil civilización de pacotilla. De momento, claro está.</Spanish>
    	</TEXT>

18. Jwitti

Jwitti Judas Maccabeus

No, you just have to edit a game file (which is ridiculously easy once you get used to XML) and you shouldn't edit the main game file, so you have to make a mod for that one change. Although, I don't see why it couldn't be modularized (putting just that file in custom_assets) I've just never bothered to try. It's well worth it to play with the XML files, you can find guides all over the place on this forum.

Have fun modding!

19. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Oh and btw, this is not the place for modding questions...although surprisingly for simple basic questions, you'll have a faster answer than in the mod subforum.

A trick (which turns out not really be a trick but just a fact for ordering your modding) is to copy/paste the desired file for modding and add at the end as pseudo extension .old. Both files will possess the same name, but will coexist that way and once you want to retrieve the base XML file, you just have to rename the new file with a new invented extension and substract the .old.

20. mir092

mir092 Chieftain

I am currently watching a guide on adding a leader and civ, I just wanted to customize what he said.
    thanks for the help