Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Thank you very much. Can you please tell me why that tech path is the most common? what makes it so good?
Being first to Liberalism gets you a free technology. Great Scientists will "lightbulb" Philosophy, Paper, and (part of) Education, which are all prerequisites for Liberalism. This means you can devote most of your research to a different tech path.

The Philosophy bulb can be especially important because (a) it's a Lib prereq and (b) once you get it, the AI foolishly fail to prioritize it, so you have a better chance of beating them to Lib. If I have a suitable GP farm (which I haven't seem to have had lately, sigh) I use the first GS for an academy and the 2nd for Philosophy. By the time I get to Paper it's usually not that bad to self-research; double-bulbing Education can sometimes work.

The Philosophy bulb can be especially important because (a) it's a Lib prereq and (b) once you get it, the AI foolishly fail to prioritize it, so you have a better chance of beating them to Lib. If I have a suitable GP farm (which I haven't seem to have had lately, sigh) I use the first GS for an academy and the 2nd for Philosophy. By the time I get to Paper it's usually not that bad to self-research; double-bulbing Education can sometimes work.

First to Philosophy also founds Taoism. If Taoism is already founded, then AI aren't as excited about researching it because (in their short-sighted view) the benefit is gone.

AKA they go after Philosophy to get Taoism, not because the next step is Liberalism.

GSs are the easiest GP to generate and the best to bulb with since they generate the most beakers. This is the natural path for bulbing with them and it leads to the powerful Cuirassier unit. All in all, it's hard to beat.

Is Cuirassier a new unit in the expansion games (BtS)? Or is it a nickname for something?

I've been playing Civ 4 for years and I have no idea what "Cuirassier" means, although tons of people talk about it on here. :blush: :confused:

Is Cuirassier a new unit in the expansion games (BtS)? Or is it a nickname for something?

I've been playing Civ 4 for years and I have no idea what "Cuirassier" means, although tons of people talk about it on here. :blush: :confused:
Yes, it's a standard pre-Cavalry mounted gunpowder unit in BtS.

Yes, it's a BtS unit, an intermediary mounted unit (12 str.) in between Knights and Cavalry. Their main advantage is that unlike Cavalry they don't require Rifling, just Gunpowder and Military Tradition. Also, Knights -> Cavalry is a relatively cheap upgrade.

Get BtS, you won't regret it.

Very quick question: What happens if you declare war on a nation and attack a city that has another nations forces in it that you are not at war with. Do those units also defend? or can you not attack that city at all?

Very quick question: What happens if you declare war on a nation and attack a city that has another nations forces in it that you are not at war with. Do those units also defend? or can you not attack that city at all?
If you're not at war with that civ you can simply take the city as if they weren't there. If you don't have OB with them, they will be kicked out after you have the city.

Gotta like those questions that can be resolved by a quick test game of less than 5 mins.

Could someone help Mulattomaker who wanted to know why his simple XML values swap didn't work? For I, I don't know what to tell. It usually works for me, I mean swapping XML values.

To expand on kiwitt´s question: What happens when the units of the third party are ships and you raze the city?

To expand on kiwitt´s question: What happens when the units of the third party are ships and you raze the city?
IIRC they get "bounced" to the nearest neutral/friendly water tile. Can anyone confirm?

Off the top of my head, the guy on settler should get more happiness and health bonus, and pay less city maintenance.

What about AIs in that multiplayer game? If one player is on Settler and the other on Deity, which level´s bonuses do AIs receive?

Top Bottom