Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

my friend told me about an event that happened to him a while back when he was playing a game.. He completely conquered another island, and eventually he got an event that made the entire island into another civ wich was then his vassal. This was appearently because of the high maintenance cost, but when we played a multiplayer game and he did the same (we were on seperate teams) nothing happened for a long time, even though he got like -800 because of the maintenance. He eventually just built the forbidden palace there and fixed it, but why wouldnt it convert? How does this mechanic work?

It's not an event. It's called "creating a colony" and can be done anytime when you have (I think) at least two cities on a landmass unconnected to your capital. To create a colony, you go to the domestic advisor, select one of the cities that should form the new colony, and press the "fist" icon.

I think there's also a hint that recommends to create colonies, that's why your friend may have mistaken it for an event.

Just wondering how to work out who the worst enemy of a civ is. Is it just the one that has the lowest diplo score? Does it include hidden modifiers?
ofc BUG tells you but I'm just curious as to how it calculates it

I think I thought of that question partly because sometimes there is no worst enemy. It just occurred to me that it may be because I haven't met their enemy yet :p

Hi again, All: Glad to see that my first post as a new member, on
15th September, generated so many replies. To those
who were patient with my criticisms of Civ4 and replied with
helpful info _ I can’t thank you enough. To those who were
frustrated at my mistakes but stayed polite _ my apologies. To
those (few) who did *not* stay polite _ no apologies whatsoever !!

I gather from some replies that, in this forum, new topics should be
raised in question form. So, OK, I still have some general questions:

First and foremost, which forums for which specific topics would be
best for the concerns I raised (see Ysevo, Sept 15th, page 915) ?
I’ll explore anyway, of course, but feedback would definitely
save me time.

Secondly, I’m still puzzled about how to edit XML and Python _
can I have suggestions for where to find user-friendly
info for first-timers ? I’ve messed about a bit with XML, and
did get some results (e.g. changing which tech brings which
religion), but that bit of experimenting was also enough to
make me feel I need some instruction, rather than just diving in
and randomly picking on stuff to change.

Also, what application are most of you using to edit XML ? I’m
only able to do so by opening the files with Internet Explorer,
clicking the View menu and choosing Source. Can’t help feeling
that most of you probably have a better way.

And I’ve just realized _ even the above method doesn’t allow
IExplorer to view *all* XML files (for example, on the American
Revolution mod) from the browser _ though I guess it doesn’t
matter, as it still lets me open and edit the “source”.

As for Python files, my machine can’t open them at all. What do
most of you use to do so ?

What puzzles me (and was the real source of my irritation in the
Sept 15th post) is that the Civ4 manual insists that editing both
Python and XML files is perfectly possible _ easy, in fact _ as if
anyone whose machine can run Civ4 can also open these files.

As Civ4 is designed to run on Windows XP, I would have thought
that any XP-user should find Python and XML files as accessible
as the manual-writers expect. My machine is a typical Win XP home
laptop _ except that I don’t have MS Office (I’ve MS Works, which
generally does what I need). I assume the absence of Office isn’t
the problem ?

OK, as I said before, if there are specific forums for these
questions, please let me know. Thanks in advance for any
help _ Ysevo.

==============================================

Below are my replies to some of your points. Thanks for them;
also, I can't reply to everyone _ so a special thanks to those
who posted useful info but haven't got a reply.

"If you can't capture cities you aren't using siege. You need to
take down the cultural defenses and inflict collateral unless
you're playing a very low level. Your army should be about
1/3 - 1/2 siege if you expect to take down cities. Again,
there is more strategy in IV, you can't just attack with your
best and overwhelm the city." (Ataxerxes, Sep 15, 2011, 08:29 PM)

_ I agree, but no: I *am* using siege, knocking down the bonus
before tackling the units inside. What I've found, though, is
that in practise, they endure one bombardment then blow hell out
of my artillery or catapults (of course they've to kill the
infantry/cavalry guarding them first). Works the other way
around, too: in one game (on Prince level), the enemy had a
bigger and more modern army, and was trampling all over my
empire, but couldn't take my cities _ and lost heaps of units
trying. That's what I meant by "defensive World-War-1 mindset".

"Mali was put into the game to have more African Civs. Your
argument would also apply to the Zulu. But having only Egypt
as an African Civ doesn't seem good to me. Besides, the Celts
have two leaders in CivIV and Mali only has one. Maybe you're
playing vanilla? The Celts were added in the expansion packs
with two leaders." (Ataxerxes, Sep 15, 2011, 08:29 PM)

_ Well, don't get me wrong _ I've nothing against them putting in
African civs. In fact, now that you mention it, I think
they shouldn't have left out the Zulu (who were in Civ2) _ I'd
have no problem with both Zulus *and* Mali being there.

"Vanilla" !! I like the term. :-D But yes, my DVD, from what
you say, is the "vanilla" one. I'll look around for the
expansions. Are they free, or do they cost much ? (I suppose
I can find out somewhere on the Firaxis site.)

"@Ysevo - look into the mods, one good thing about Civ IV is a
huge mod base to give you the civving experience you want. Plain
Vanilla Civ IV isn't that exciting, I am totally with you there!"
(Carwyn, Sep 15, 2011, 08:38 PM)

_ Thanks !! Will do. I assume you mean mods online, apart from the
ones already on the DVD. Again, are they free, or do they cost
much ? I get the feeling Civ4 is all about being online a lot (my
Civ2 play, up to and including Deity, was 99% offline, apart
from downloading a couple of patches and scenarios). Only problem
for me is, I don't have home Internet.

"Celts are in the game." Ansive (Sep 15, 2011, 08:21 PM)

_ Not in mine _ seems my DVD is the "vanilla" one (see above).
Thanks anyway.

========================================================

Quote: Originally Posted by Ysevo
"I've a few frustrations, I'm afraid, but maybe I'm being clueless."

"That sums it up nicely."
(God-Emperor, Old Sep 15, 2011, 08:44 PM)

_ No, I said that to show modesty and politeness: popular
customs where I'm from. You should try them sometime.

As to my actual ability level _ I started Civ4 on "Noble"
and won all the games I played on it. More recently, I've
reverted to "Settler", simply to explore all the detailed nuts
and bolts. (Won everything on that too, as expected.) Only
game I lost is one I played on "Prince", and even there I
took down heaps of opposing troops, while fighting
2 civs. Not bad for a “clueless” starter, I think.

Not that I care about losing or winning _ just saying
I think I've done enough to make critical points
if I want to.

You can edit XML files with notepad or wordpad or notepad++ or any other text editor.
Use right click open with, or just open the editor and load the xml file using the file>open menu.
Always back up important files before editing them.

Don't forget to take notice of the combat odds when fighting wars. Attacking something with 2% odds is usually suicide, unless you throw more units after that (as they wear down the defending unit). If attacking 3 archers in a city, a few catapults (bombard then suicide) and some (more than 3) axemen/swordsmen are recommended. Note that in the BTS expansion (2nd and last), siege units can no longer kill enemy units when attacking (only in defense).

The expansions aren't free. There is Warlords, and Beyond the Sword.

I got the GotY off Steam really cheap, but that's not an option for you since you don't have a home internet connection. Find some discs or buy them.

I recommend getting the BTS expansion, and patch it to 3.19
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=12

And the BUG mode (for gameplay enhancements, it does not alter game mechanics/rules).
http://sourceforge.net/projects/civ4bug/

Have fun.

You can edit XML files with notepad or wordpad or notepad++ or any other text editor.
Use right click open with, or just open the editor and load the xml file using the file>open menu.
Always back up important files before editing them.

Don't forget to take notice of the combat odds when fighting wars. Attacking something with 2% odds is usually suicide, unless you throw more units after that (as they wear down the defending unit). If attacking 3 archers in a city, a few catapults (bombard then suicide) and some (more than 3) axemen/swordsmen are recommended. Note that in the BTS expansion (2nd and last), siege units can no longer kill enemy units when attacking (only in defense).

The expansions aren't free. There is Warlords, and Beyond the Sword.

I got the GotY off Steam really cheap, but that's not an option for you since you don't have a home internet connection. Find some discs or buy them.

I recommend getting the BTS expansion, and patch it to 3.19
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=cat&id=12

And the BUG mode (for gameplay enhancements, it does not alter game mechanics/rules).
http://sourceforge.net/projects/civ4bug/

Have fun.

I agree with the above, with the added caveat that modding questions should be directed to the Creation and Customization forum.

Ysevo: I'm a bit reluctant to answer to your post because, hrmmm, how to put it ... it seems to me that you lack some rather basic skills in managing Civ4 as well as Windows as well as these forums - which is not a problem per se, as you can of course learn, but it won't be easy if you blame the game for the things that you don't understand (yet). On the other hand, I may be very wrong in the assessment above, so I'll give it a try.

First and foremost, which forums for which specific topics would be best for the concerns I raised (see Ysevo, Sept 15th, page 915) ?
I’ll explore anyway, of course, but feedback would definitely save me time.
For question about how the game works or how to play it, use the general Civ4 forum or the strategy forum. For questions about modding, the "Creation and Customization" forum is the right place.

Secondly, I’m still puzzled about how to edit XML and Python _ can I have suggestions for where to find user-friendly info for first-timers ? I’ve messed about a bit with XML, and did get some results (e.g. changing which tech brings which religion), but that bit of experimenting was also enough to make me feel I need some instruction, rather than just diving in and randomly picking on stuff to change.
Aren't their some guides for this in the "Creation and Customization" Forum? Last time I checked, it had a "tutorials" subsection specifically for this. Personally, however, I just use the forum's search function if I need information. Another good place to find information is the Modiki (there's a link to it in the forum's top bar). Actually I've never seen a modding scene with so many explicit tutorials as this one, so it's a bit surprising to me that someone doesn't find them.

Also, what application are most of you using to edit XML ? I’m only able to do so by opening the files with Internet Explorer, clicking the View menu and choosing Source. Can’t help feeling that most of you probably have a better way.

And I’ve just realized _ even the above method doesn’t allow
IExplorer to view *all* XML files (for example, on the American
Revolution mod) from the browser _ though I guess it doesn’t
matter, as it still lets me open and edit the “source”.
Ummm ... why are you opening files with Internet Explorer (the next question would be why you use IE at all)? Why not just use Notepad, or any better text editor, like Notepad++? I mean, it's perfectly natural and easy to open a yet-unknown filetype with Notepad to see which kind of data it actually contains, and it's easy to tell Windows to use Notepad as the default editor for XML files. So why are you using IE?

As for Python files, my machine can’t open them at all. What do
most of you use to do so ?
Of course your machine can open .py files. Notepad comes with every Windows version for more than a decade now. And if you want color-coding, you can always install another editor. Personally I'm using Notepad++, but Python is recognized by so many editors that you can choose many others.

What puzzles me (and was the real source of my irritation in the
Sept 15th post) is that the Civ4 manual insists that editing both
Python and XML files is perfectly possible _ easy, in fact _ as if
anyone whose machine can run Civ4 can also open these files.
(Mostly) everyone running Civ4 is also running Windows. Windows comes with Notepad. Python and XML files are easily edited with Notepad. Where's the room for puzzlement?

The only "knowledge" necessary is that you _can_ use Notepad to open files with extensions that aren't yet bound to it, but that's a very basic Windows operation and nothing that they need to specifically spell out, imho. It's even explained in the Windows help system that every Windows user has on his machine.

As Civ4 is designed to run on Windows XP, I would have thought
that any XP-user should find Python and XML files as accessible
as the manual-writers expect. My machine is a typical Win XP home
laptop _ except that I don’t have MS Office (I’ve MS Works, which
generally does what I need). I assume the absence of Office isn’t
the problem ?
Erm ... no. Actually it's a bit beyond me why you think that a behemoth like MS Office (which I wouldn't recommend to anyone) is necessary to read data for programming formats. There's nothing that connects programming languages (like Python) to MS Office, so I really don't see where you got this idea from. You don't need Office. You don't need anything except plain simple Notepad, which you of course have on your machine, which is why every user _does_ have access to a tool for modifying these files.

That's the basic problem here, I think: Your problem is that you somehow totally ignore the easiest and most obvious solution (check the file with Notepad), go off on some weird tangent thinking about MS Office (which has nothing at all to do with the issue), and blame the game (or the manual) for your incapacity of using one of the most simple Windows tools to solve your "problem". That's also the reason why some of the replies that you got were less than polite.

_ I agree, but no: I *am* using siege, knocking down the bonus
before tackling the units inside. What I've found, though, is
that in practise, they endure one bombardment then blow hell out
of my artillery or catapults (of course they've to kill the
infantry/cavalry guarding them first).
The obvious lesson to be learned from this is, of course, to either use more siege or bring more guards. Or which lesson do you draw from your own example?

_ Well, don't get me wrong _ I've nothing against them putting in
African civs. In fact, now that you mention it, I think
they shouldn't have left out the Zulu (who were in Civ2) _ I'd
have no problem with both Zulus *and* Mali being there.
I'm sorry, but you definitely know nothing about Mali. That's not a shame, the knowledge that they once were among the leading civilizations on the African continent isn't exactly taught in schools. However, complaining about the inclusion of Mali (a dominant force in Northwest Africa) and then saying it's okay to include when the Zulus (which are historically of very little impact, had control of a very small region, and are just a bit more known because they won a couple of battles in Southern Africa) is baffling. In any case, it is _absolutely okay_ if you don't know much about history - but then you really shouldn't try to make arguments about Mali.

"Vanilla" !! I like the term. :-D But yes, my DVD, from what
you say, is the "vanilla" one.
If you don't even know the term "vanilla" ... ah, well. As I said, it's absolutely okay to know very little. Everyone started small somewhere. But for someone who knows so little, your attitude seems ... off. Sorry.

I'll look around for the expansions. Are they free, or do they cost much ? (I suppose
I can find out somewhere on the Firaxis site.)
They of course aren't free (how many Civ games do you know that have free official expansions?), but they don't cost much. Check amazon, or local game retailers. Here in Germany, you can get both expansions for 7 Euro, I think.

Not that I care about losing or winning _ just saying
I think I've done enough to make critical points
if I want to.
That seems to be the basic problem. You seem to lack very basic understanding in many areas (Civ4, Windows, forum usage, basic terminology), yet behave as someone who understands these things perfectly well. As a result, you make a lot of mistakes, and come across very badly. Yet, when called on this, you go defensive, cling to your false assumptions of competence that you don't yet have, and make snide remarks to the people who criticized you.

That's exactly the reason why I'm very skeptical if my answers above will actually help you. But you undeniably put a lot of effort in your post, so I thought it's worth a try.

Ysevo, as has been said, notepad is your best friend. I think xml files (and others) open in IE by default if you just try to open them, and python files will probably try to run, but achieve nothing, so open with notepad

Its been a long time since I read the manual, but I think you'll find it says something along the lines of
'for those of you familar with python/xml you can make your own changes etc'
which is very different to saying anybody can do it. (lots of files you open in notepad for apps will just give you strange characters, but in this case you are able to edit many things because the files can be opened in notepad and changed IF you know how). I think its kael who did some tutorials, just search for kael civ4 in google and you should find something. You're walked through the process, and you can pick up some basics along the way.

Others have addressed most of your questions.

Regarding mods: They are all free. Some come built in to the game, as you see from one of the main menu choices. Updates to those plus a few more come with the expansions. Most of the mods are made by interested CIV players. Updates and upgrades to both the game and to mods that come with the game are also made by CIV players. You can find a large selection in the Creation and Customization forum. One of the subforums contains complete mods. However, do check which version the mod is for. These days most of the new ones are for Beyond The Sword (BTS), the last expansion, which also contains everything that is in the original (vanilla) and the Warlords expansion, other than a few scenarios. You can still find some of the mods for vanilla in the database but you have to look for them. One of the most popular (if not the most popular) mods is BUG Mod, which requires you to be running BTS. (BUG stands for BTS Unmodified Gameplay.) It supplies all the features to the User Interface (UI) that should have been included in the game by Firaxis. You can add some of the features that it supplies to vanilla by using the HOF mod for vanilla, which you can find in the HOF forum. (HOF = Hall Of Fame)

Hi.

Fighters have 12 of strength. Bombers has 16 of strength.

Does this mean that in interceptions Bombers have a bigger chance of winning than fighters do?

And guess what I am asking is... how do interception battles work? Are there any sort of modifiers?

Hi.

Does this mean that in interceptions Bombers have a bigger chance of winning than fighters do?

And guess what I am asking is... how do interception battles work? Are there any sort of modifiers?

No, fighters have better odds. Bombers only do minimal damage.
Check the combat log for modifiers and the like. I'm not sure if it's listed there, but you have a good chance.

Hi.

I posted an explanation of interceptions once, here.

It is similar with the wonders. All of a sudden we have all sorts of islamic "wonders" listed with the more traditional ones. Seriously. University of Sankore? Spiral Minaret? Wonders of the world? What the-??? The creators needed to balance out all the Christian wonders that have been there for donkey's years, and so anything went. It is funny how that they didn't bother to be so conscientious with Hinduism, Taoism and Confucianism, all of which also made the religion cut (the Taj Mahal is islamic, by the way, and is probably the only islamic wonder that should be there; and no, the Hagia Sophia is not islamic, it is Orthodox Christian). Even Buddhism only got the Angkor Wat and the Shwedagon Paya.

It is all marketing, and probably fear of repercussions. The makers of the game knew they could get away with ignoring the other religions. Just not islam. The fact that they had to make a disclaimer in the game about religions is very telling (I believe it is under Game Concepts in the Civilopedia).

I agree it is a publicity stunt, but the U.S. are, whether Arabian/islamic wonders have been added or not, are still the prominent 'wonder owners'.
I do not approve of this. A bit of a let down for Eastern Europe, Indo-China, Japan and even newcomers such as Australia in my humble opinion.

Three Gorges was called Hoover's in civ 3. I suppose some people can't break old habits.

Ah, thanks. Sorry, I edited my post - I decided it was too much of a flamebait and too unclear. But thank you for letting me know.

Thanks! :)

One more question: between a hydro plant and a nuclear one, the hydro is always better, correct? Is there any advantage of the Nuclear PLant vs the hydro?
The only advantage I'm aware of is that you can build a nuclear plant in a city that isn't next to a river. Then again, you can do the same with a coal plant, but without the risk of a nuclear meltdown.

One more question: between a hydro plant and a nuclear one, the hydro is always better, correct? Is there any advantage of the Nuclear PLant vs the hydro?
Nuke plants can be built in non riverside cities and come earlier than hydro plants, but coal comes earlier still. Nuke plants are also the most expensive plant and have the ridiculous meltdown risk, which hits with the force of a nuclear missile and happens far too often.

Nuke plants aren't worth building unless for some reason you can't use either of the other two.

Top Bottom